You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: AXL ROSE Falls On Stage At France's HELLFEST

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is...occasionally....GNR does a show that's actually reasonably  extraordinary in length...for example the start of the 2009 tour....I think it was in Japan...Axl did some massive set lists those nights...playing the classics but also a lot of the less common CD songs (twat, scraped etc). On those nights I think it's fair to brag that the band are really giving some value to punters - in that you sort of got more than you paid for.

However...the normal 2-3 hour shows...the reason they are so long is that with solos and non-axl jams there's usually 5-7 songs that do not involve Axl. That's fine if that's what's needed for there to be great shows in 2012. So i'm glad we still get what we get...but I also think it's a stretch to say that the long length is a feature, as I see it entirely as a side effect of Axl taking oxygen breaks off-stage.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Ill take a 2 hour amazing show with no filler over a 3 hour show with 5 fucking solos and the guy I am there to see spending 30 or so mins offstage

no offense to GNR on the solos .. i wouldn't wanna set through that many solos by anybody

Just get annoyed at people going crazy over a 3 hour show when ANY band could play that long with each member getting an extended solo etc.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Personally I would prefer a shorter set list without all the solos.  If I compare it to the UYI days, I would happily take the godfather theme and that's about it.  You could stick Sorum's drum solo up his ass and on a good night I might want to listen to Gilby's Wild Horses.

All the solo spots make the show longer but not in a good way.  IMO they break the momentum up and it's really stop/start.  Plus your tired from standing and waiting, you want a piss etc.  Now if it was long because they were pulling out rare songs and shit non stop then I could stand there and listen to it all night.

That said, I saw STP a year or so ago  (can't recall).  I thought they sounded awesome. Sonically they sounded just like their CD's, BUT I did kinda feel ripped off that they only played for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

-D-

-D- wrote:

Saw Roger Waters Tues and that was perfect. show started bout 8:30

we got an intermission from maybe 9:30 to 9:45 and then concert last till bout 10:30 and it was just as rock n roll and even more EPIC than the GNR show I saw.

late starts DO NOT build anticipation or add anything to show.

agree with Aussie.. solos kill momentum, Axl running off stage to oxygen tank  kills momentum.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I personally did some of the solos; but I think they should just be shortened or just have less of them. It gives each band member their time to shine; so it feels more like a band which I can understand where Axl's head is at in that scenario. I would scrap some of the band jams to only one unless they are introducing a new song or about to close with Paradise or something. Yes..late starts are a pain in the ass. I went to this heavy metal concert a few years back with some friends and the main act had to wait awhile to get on stage because the lead singer got sick and one of the crappy opening acts took forever to get their shit off stage and one of the things was a painted object pushed on stage with the band's logo on it. We were also standing for an hour and my legs were killing me.  After that, the replacement singer got on stage with the band and they kicked ass.

-D-

-D- wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I can dig all of that but I think the solos are tied directly into the need for oxygen. Assuming that's the case (which is a big assumption), what do you do instead?

Also, I agree the late starts do nothing to "add" to the show.

take it serious and get in shape.

It isn't like Axl is running wind sprints entire show like back in the old days.

Ever seen the Chili Peppers?

Never seen Kiedis or flea need Oxygen and they jump around a hell of a lot more than Axl.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-

-D- wrote:

weird part is.. Straight O2 like that usually dries most people's throats etc up

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

At least it's oxygen and not drinking alot of booze on stage! 16

Board footer