You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Gods of Metal June 22nd

Sky Dog wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't mind classic hits to the extent slash does it...like a handful of songs....I'd have no problem if Axl played a whole bunch of chinese or a new album plus SCOM, Jungle and PC.

Slash plays a heavy rotation from the 2010 album and now from AL....so it's nice to the finish up with a few GNR tracks also.

That's the difference though...with GNR the newest thing you'll hear is 2008 material...and some of that is stuff that's really 2001 material in terms of live gigs (eg Street of Dreams, Madagascar)....but with slash sure he plays a bit of AFD as well...but then there's a ton os songs from 2010 and 2012.

Forward movement.

Do we have to keep going over this? One is a Guns N Roses show and the expectation from the people in the crowd is to hear Axl Rose sing Gnr classic tracks. People that are going at this point are generally well aware Axl is the only original member. However, it is billed and promoted as a Gnr show. The other is clearly a well established solo artist at this point. The expectations are not even close and it is apples to oranges. My God, can everybody give it a rest?

Slash has moved forward. Axl hasn't. That's all there is to it. There is 5 different threads that all end up in the same basic discussion. Geez....sometimes it is good to just not post. If you don't have anything new to add, don't post. Let the Gnr section sit idle until there is something new to talk about. Head over to Snakepit and discuss what's going on there....which is at least fresh and original. The Gnr board has turned in to a Dead Horse and maybe it should be that way to help stop all the constant whining and bickering.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Not so long ago everyone was complaining there wasn't enough UYI!

I can't believe they couldn't have released a couple of 'b-sides' with Chinese Dem. Axl seems very tight fisted when it comes to releasing anything it seems

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl's an idiot when it comes to marketing his band and career....

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i miss the good old days when threads were empty and i didn't have to weed through childish bullshit to see if there was any news each day.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

i miss the good old days when threads were empty and i didn't have to weed through childish bullshit to see if there was any news each day.

Such an odd comment to make in THIS thread seeing as though there's been aboslutely no childish bullshit in here neutral

Aussie wrote:

Slash would probably like to play a song like Locomotive, but that and some of the other UYI songs have so many lyrics they are probably too much for someone like Myles (or probably anybody) to sing or remember.

Nah I don't buy that. If I can remember the lyrics word for word so can anybody

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't mind classic hits to the extent slash does it...like a handful of songs....I'd have no problem if Axl played a whole bunch of chinese or a new album plus SCOM, Jungle and PC.

Slash plays a heavy rotation from the 2010 album and now from AL....so it's nice to the finish up with a few GNR tracks also.

That's the difference though...with GNR the newest thing you'll hear is 2008 material...and some of that is stuff that's really 2001 material in terms of live gigs (eg Street of Dreams, Madagascar)....but with slash sure he plays a bit of AFD as well...but then there's a ton os songs from 2010 and 2012.

Forward movement.

Do we have to keep going over this? One is a Guns N Roses show and the expectation from the people in the crowd is to hear Axl Rose sing Gnr classic tracks. People that are going at this point are generally well aware Axl is the only original member. However, it is billed and promoted as a Gnr show. The other is clearly a well established solo artist at this point. The expectations are not even close and it is apples to oranges. My God, can everybody give it a rest?

Slash has moved forward. Axl hasn't. That's all there is to it. There is 5 different threads that all end up in the same basic discussion. Geez....sometimes it is good to just not post. If you don't have anything new to add, don't post. Let the Gnr section sit idle until there is something new to talk about. Head over to Snakepit and discuss what's going on there....which is at least fresh and original. The Gnr board has turned in to a Dead Horse and maybe it should be that way to help stop all the constant whining and bickering.

There's seriously only so many shows you can follow. The only vid I've watched is the PC clip and that was the first in a long time. That goes for every band, unless you're a real mega, "deadhead" type fan.

I only followed this tour to see if anything new was being played. Once it was clear there wasn't, I didn't follow anymore. besides, shows are for the people who are going, not fans sitting at home analyzing each setlist. I geeked out and followed the first few Soundgarden shows and that was enough.

I think people are burning themselves out following these shows. About as burned out as Axl seems to be. It's kind of devolved into not being happy with how Ron taps, whatever DJ does that annoys people, and Richard being sloppy. At least everyone still loves Frank

And yeah, the majority of people are going to the shows for the classics, no matter how many people are chanting for TWAT.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

There is 5 different threads that all end up in the same basic discussion. Geez....sometimes it is good to just not post. If you don't have anything new to add, don't post.

But it's not like this thread was only about the set list...there was talk about the pros/cons of having less guitarists and so on. Then the discussion moved on to the concept of gig fatigue and tour burn out from fans of all bands.

I wasn't saying it to get into a slash vs axl pissing war....I was just pointing
out it's more complex than the songs just being old. As someone said they find it lame when slash does it too....and I felt for me it's less boring for slash to play the classic hits than GNR at this stage..because It's not that i'm burnt out on the song itself, its the context surrounding the song. A classic song in the context of new artistic endeavours is very different to a classic song in the context of other old songs.

Psychologically I find the whole concept interesting. Say Ac/Dc's black ice tour. Same set list every night. Got a bit of abuse from fans from it. Mostly from people who follow the band in person to gigs round the world. But overall massive massive success.

So i'm curious that even hardcores are getting sick of this with GNR. What's the difference to Ac/Dc..
Is it that it's not  the original line up (even Brian's been in the band 30 years or something now in ac/dc so he gets respect)..or because they vanished for 8 years first? So people were keen for an Ac/Dc return.
Is it because it went on for a couple of years then stopped...like is the problem that Axl's toured too often now? Is it because they did the same thing with a new album?

I'd be interested to hear how we responded then. If Axl released CD2 then played 3 songs from it a night and all classic hits as the rest of the show (that was the Ac/Dc model)...be curious to see how we respond....it might help...as I think the problem isn't the burn out on the songs...(after all if he stopped playing them people would start to beg for jungle and co I think)...I think it's the context....and the history of the band...cos of the huge wait for CD1 and the weird release...I think fans just have no confidence in what will happen anymore...the context is everything.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think we have to face the fact Axl isn't the integrity filled last man standing we made him out to be.

nothing wrong with it, but people having a hard time admitting that

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

I think we have to face the fact Axl isn't the integrity filled last man standing we made him out to be.

nothing wrong with it, but people having a hard time admitting that

Yeah, I don't know who's doing that, though. Most of us have accepted since 1987 that Axl is a spoiled brat, and don't really hold him to any type of noble standard. The one member here who probably holds him to that higher standard than most, from what I can tell, is John.

Anyway, here's one of my favorite moments of the tour. It's moments like this that make me like this line up.

[youtube]hMFCRugOR_s&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Board footer