You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Gods of Metal June 22nd

Gibbo wrote:
johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yeah, I don't know who's doing that, though. Most of us have accepted since 1987 that Axl is a spoiled brat, and don't really hold him to any type of noble standard. The one member here who probably holds him to that higher standard than most, from what I can tell, is John.

it's not just Axl, i guess i just have high standards.... defo high anyway..

& maybe it's more i enjoy apportioning blame.
but he's lied & failed so often. it does get a little boring sometimes.

e.g.

faldor wrote:

Oh sure.  When I went to see them in November, my friends expected the worst.

it should never have even come to this.
hell you'll still hear @ concerts people saying "i suppose we're lucky he turned up at all".

he just won't work hard enough, or has the ability, to change the script.

the point is, he's promised more than he's delivered.

& it's the simple things that are wrong that leaves the whole thing w/no chance of prospering. bob dylan's 219 & he changes things up every night. he cant sing for shit either anymore of course. when tom waits tours he changes it up every time. neil young changes it up. springsteen. even elton & macca released more albums since UYI.
my point here is the greats aren't doing what axl's doing. & they're even more ancient.
GnR should belong in that class. but he's not measuring up to standard. either on output or performance.
what exactly is he good for these days....??

he's a travelling salesman.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Axl had a lot to live up to with Chinese Democracy.

The longer he leaves the next album the more it builds up again. Already people have their hopes up for this year.

If he had released some more music by now the pressure would have been off and they could have taken their time to record some fresh material. I can't believe that after all of those years there isn't even another album ready to ship without needing DDJs input.

What happens after this tour will define the future of the band. If they go back to tour America even the die hard fans at HTGTH will probably start to question what the reason for existence is.

My gut feeling is that even if they do get back into a studio you'll start to see a new blame game between 'management' and the record company.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Scabbie

Scabbie wrote:

I hope Axl hasn't made a pile of money off this tour and ends up too interested in shopping for a new lambo or something rather than getting back in the studio with the band.

I think they should choose a very 'practical' producer for the next record - someone focussed on getting the job done rather than endlessly fucking around with pro tools or whatever the latest gadgets are.

And record as a unit not guitarists by day singer by night

Scabbie

Scabbie wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Its hard to retain mystique when you are getting old and you still badly need the attention and/or the money.

Look at Madonna - no shortage of funds but seen as a sad old lady who should tuck in her lamb hangings and get off the dancefloor.

Look at Billy Corgan - like Axl, all alone still squeezing the last of the sour milk from the saggy teet that was the Smashing Pumpkins while becoming more bitter, ignored and irrelevant.

Look at Metallica - just an overly serious version of KISS with more products on shelves than Wal Mart

I bet people could name twenty other acts that they loved back in the day who have become sad, middle of the road versions of themselves.

Very few get it right. Cash, Springsteen, Cohen, all more relevant now than ever. Rush remain hugely respected, Dave Grohl can't seem to go wrong.

The only time Axl had 'mystique' was when he went missing for years. Fucking hell even to see him on a shopping trip with Beta was big news in those days. Even to this day I still don't think many people know what he got up to. Would love to read his bio.

He still has a lot of character and I don't think they / he 'leverage' that enough. You can still be a cool Mofo without whoring yourself to the media. I thinking of someone like jack nicholson

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Scabbie wrote:

I hope Axl hasn't made a pile of money off this tour and ends up too interested in shopping for a new lambo or something rather than getting back in the studio with the band.

I think they should choose a very 'practical' producer for the next record - someone focussed on getting the job done rather than endlessly fucking around with pro tools or whatever the latest gadgets are.

And record as a unit not guitarists by day singer by night

If Axl wants to make this succeed, he's going to need to be there with the band. As for a producer, I personally don't think it's necessary since it's been said that alot of the vault material has already been recorded by various producers. All you would need to do is credit them and give there share of the profits. I think with Pitman, Ron, and DJ being in the room you kind of already have folks with programming and production experience with recording up front and behind the scenes. Of course Caram and Eric are going to be with Axl to hit the record button and edit and polish the tracks with his vision in mind. It could be they already have a ton of areas logged in a book and they would take those notes to the new material or just start from scratch and bust out a few tracks if they all do their part. Hell, they may have already recorded songs with DJ. No one has an answer at the moment which is a big problem.

The only time Axl had 'mystique' was when he went missing for years. Fucking hell even to see him on a shopping trip with Beta was big news in those days. Even to this day I still don't think many people know what he got up to. Would love to read his bio.

Same here man! It would be quite a read! I just hope it's not just constant ranting and it goes more in depth with how he writes songs or the full side of his story on Chinese's development and the events before it. As for the mystique topic, even fans started freaking out during the 1999 phone in interview with Kurt Loder on MTV. Even the 2001 basketball game interview surprised people because it was that random!

Me_Wise_Magic

Sky Dog wrote:

the mystique ended at the MTV Awards in 2002.....

Or after the Vancouver Riot! 16

Sky Dog wrote:

speaking of the basketball game interview....holy fuck...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TvV4LNAbI

where the hell did the eyebrows go.......metrosexual!

Me_Wise_Magic

Yeah I was pondering the same thing. It makes you wonder what the hell was going on during the planned 2001 shows and that situation.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Chemo? That hair doesnt even look real...

Board footer