You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Superman Thread.

Axlin12 wrote:

Superman Lives was the most bizarro, watercooler talk on the high school basketball court of my high school experience.

I was SO PUMPED to see it. I thought you had a bonafide nerd in Kevin Smith writing it, Burton was gonna return and do it his way, Cage fit right in with Burton's world, and it was so unclassifiable that I thought it would turn into the "Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf" of superhero movies. I couldn't wait to see that trainwreck.

Plus I thought it'd set up a Superman vs. Batman film with both Burton worlds, and thought that was just awesome. Damn thing never happened tho...

Anybody ever hear of that Frank Miller/Darren Aaronofsky (name?) version of Batman: Year One they wanted to do with Bruce Wayne as a poor Travis Bickle mechanic, Catwoman as a black prostitute, and Clint Eastwood hell bent on revenge as James Gordon? That one was equally crazy.

You know what's crazy I read an article about the Frank Miller Bats: Y1 on Monday during my shift when I had some free time online. It did sounded like a hoot to watch if it became a reality.

As for Superman Lives, the doc is going to be a sight to behold. Jon was already showing a ton of stage pics, costume designs, concept art, and other details of the project already that writers, producers, and management gave to him either in person or online during the doc's pre-production and development. Really hoping that Burton and Cage interview happens with the guy. Going to be fantastic. I know the Kevin Smith interview will be great and hilarious. It's a crime that he's not going to work on Superman Vs. Batman. Cause that's a perfect choice for writing the script with David.  Jon's state of the mind for the project itself is that he wished that Lives became a finished film and it would of been the ballsiest, weirdest, yet most original take on the character. It would of been a fun film to see back in '98/'99.

Me_Wise_Magic

Axlin12 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

What the fuck?

Very strange and doesn't feel right; but I will reserve judgement when I see that trailer or some promo images in costume. I personally think WB are foolish for not going for Karl Urban or Josh Brolin. Hell even Jon Hamm would of been interesting or pulling Keaton back out of left field.

Keaton is WAY too old for this kind of film. Only way that would've worked would've been if they would've set the next Man of Steel film well into the future (thus all the technology in the first film), so it distances itself from Batman Begins and TDK, but not TDKR. And basically do a "Dark Knight Returns" film with the 55+ year old Bruce Wayne, and have Keaton reprise the role. That would've been interesting.

But based on the comic, I always thought the best choice for TDK-Returns was totally Mel Gibson. He's bigger, broader, aged, fucking crazy, and reminds me in real life of everything I would imagine a fried 55-year old Wayne returning to the cape and cowl to be. Still do. Hope that film gets made one day in a dystopian future.

Mel would of been killer in that role if they are going the Dark Knight Returns way. Which I hope isn't the case for this film. Since this is a Superman sequel fire and foremost with Batman teaming up with him during it. If they did a separate Dark Knight Returns film with the studio that would of been interesting. The Keaton thing was kind of joke on my part and some websites suggested it. 16 Having him or Mel do Dark Knight Returns may happen somewhere down the line cause Warner Bros. wanted to do it for years and also this film project. They have the animated version of the comic out in two parts. They will use elements of it for this film and improve on Man of Steel and show how this can work.

Me_Wise_Magic

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/127 … ay=1#video

Trailer is now available for viewers who haven't backed. smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

That's pretty badass.

You know if they ever did The Dark Knight Returns, having Keaton for Batman and Cage for Superman with Burton as director could still VERY much be a possibility.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Get Keaton and you can do the Kingdom Come arc. How bad ass would that be. An all out superhero on superhero war film?

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:

Get Keaton and you can do the Kingdom Come arc. How bad ass would that be. An all out superhero on superhero war film?

Oh man, if only Christopher Reaves were still with us and healthy, how awesome would a kingdom come movie be with those two.

Me_Wise_Magic

RaZor wrote:
smoke wrote:

Oh man, if only Christopher Reaves were still with us and healthy, how awesome would a kingdom come movie be with those two.

Oh yeah hell yeah! ..and I can see Axlin's pitch totally work with Returns. I have a feeling Cage hasn't totally given up on the role. He has so much respect and is a big fanboy of the Man of Steel. He named his kid after the character too. I still need to read Kingdom Come and some popular issues in the DC universe very soon. Saw most of them at a comic store near my house awhile ago.  Having Reaves play a character on Smallville towards the end of his life was extremely moving for alot of people and the fans. What he did even with his illness, charity, and other things made him become a real hero. 

My only problem is while the Dark Knight Returns is a highly influential book it portrays both characters in negative lights. Superman as a drone taking orders from the U.S. govt. (which is almost out of character) and not using his higher Kryptonian intellect and Batman as extremely violent with blood lust and vengeful. Plus Miller has said time and time again that he despises the nature and various incarnations of Superman. So having him work with Snyder on a Man of Steel sequel with Batman that is stated to not follow the full premise of Dark Knight Returns seems a tad odd. I mean they are definitely going to use elements of it, follow MOS's aftermath, and have it improved and justified overall. Hopefully! Let's see what happens I suppose.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Ask Chris #159: The Superman/Batman Movie Will Continue Until Morale Improves

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-sup … gnet_82179

We open in Gotham City, a year after the events of The Dark Knight Rises, where John Blake (or to use his Government name, Robin Blake) (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) has just finished rebuilding the Batcave. He has yet to make his debut as Batman, but he knows that when he does, it has to be big. He can’t just go out and beat up carjackers in Gotham City, because the statement is too small — if he’s going to truly prove that the Batman is bigger than one man, that he’s an inspirational figure, he needs a bigger stage. He needs to take on a criminal that no one man can touch.

He needs to bring down Superman.

See, while Gotham City is doing okay now that all (well, most) of the secrets of Nolan’s trilogy have been brought to light and they haven’t built a fragile peace on lies and oppression, Metropolis is the exact opposite. Everyone who lives there is terrified. They just saw half of their city leveled by two aliens in a battle that ended with one of them snapping the other’s neck. They’ve seen that this strange visitor who spent his entire childhood being ostracized believes in a brand of justice with lethal ends — they see him not as a protector, but as an invulnerable, unstoppable judge, jury and executioner.

For his part, Superman (Henry Cavill) is extremely frustrated by all this. Even though his father taught him to just stand around watching people die, he’s trying to live up to his Space Dad’s instruction to save everyone. He’s doing his best, but they’ve seen him snap a man’s neck on live television, and that’s not exactly the sort of thing you can unsee. Everyone’s always walking on eggshells, apologizing for falling off buildings when he rescues them because they’re terrified that he’ll drop them in a volcano to teach them a lesson about window-washing safety or something.

Despite his best efforts to be a friend, more and more Metropolitans are viewing him as an omnipresent tyrannical overlord who holds the city in the icy grip of fear. That’s how Blake sees him, and remembering how Bruce Wayne broke the criminal element’s similar stranglehold on Gotham City, sees him as the perfect opponent. No man can take down a Superman, but Batman is more than a man. He can go past the physical limits and beat the ultimate opponent.

So Blake suits up and heads out to Metropolis, and this is where you get that big Batman/Superman fight that everyone wants to see. But RUSSO SWERVE! Blake gets the living hell kicked out of him because Man of Steel didn’t bother to introduce Kryptonite, so he has no ace in the hole. Batman might not have any limits, but Superman can crush cars with one hand and shoot lasers out of his eyes, so Blake’s outmatched from jump street. It’s not even a question, it’s just Superman throwing him through walls while Blake refuses to stay down — he believes that you only fall so that you can rise, after all.

Through it all, Blake tells him that he can’t allow a “Superman” to lord his powers over humanity, and finally, Superman gets frustrated enough to snap, although this time it’s not a neck that he’s snapping. He goes into a rage and yells that for the last friggin’ time, the symbol on his chest isn’t an S, and it doesn’t stand for Superman, but if Blake thinks he’s “lording over” people, then fine. He won’t be Superman. He’ll be Overman.

At this point, the audience realizes that Cavill was never really Superman at all, which is why Man of Steel didn’t have the word “Superman” in the title. It was all part of a long con to reveal that Cavill was actually playing Overman all along — by the way, I didn’t mention this before, but in this imaginary world where I get to make a movie, everyone who goes to see movies has read Grant Morrison and Chas Truog’s Animal Man. Overman beats up Blake some more and replaces his tattered cape with a flag, but just as he’s getting ready to snap Blake’s neck and be done with it, there’s a huge BOOM!

That’s right, y’all: A dang BOOM TUBE opens up, and who comes out? Every Superman and Batman we’ve seen in mass media for the past thirty years. Brandon Routh! Tom Welling! Dean Cain! George Clooney! Val Kilmer! Gerard Christopher! Michael Keaton! Kevin Conroy, Diedrich Bader, George Newburn and Tim Daly are in there in animated form, Space Jam style! They’ve all shown up to battle Overman — the one Superman who’s both immune to Kryptonite and straight up wants to snap necks.

There’s a huge fight that goes for like half an hour with Cavill’s Overman taking on all the Supermen and Batmen — except Routh, who just kind of hovers off in a corner watching creepily and occasionally striking a Jesus pose — and even though he’s overwhelmed, he’s winning. The Supermen are focused on making sure Overman doesn’t smash through populated buildings while the Batmen try to formulate a plan to take him down, but he’s even stronger than they thought. He’s trouncing them left and right.

Finally, Welling, Routh and Cain triple-punch Cavill so hard that he crash-lands all the way in Gotham City — right in the middle of Crime Alley. Overman gets to his feet, ready to tear them limb from limb, but he’s fallen into their trap. Because standing there, plugged into the lamppost, is Adam F**king West, in the Dark Knight Returns armor, jacked into the power grid and ready to punch Overman with the force of an entire city.

West’s punch knocks Overman crosseyed and he goes down like a ton of bricks. He struggles to get up, but before he can, West leans over, says “Sorry, old chum” and gasses him with Anti-Kryptonian Bat-Spray. Superman is down for the count, leaving the rest of the Worlds’ Finest to use that world’s Kryptonian technology to encase Superman in one of those giant translucent dongs and send him rocketing to the Phantom Zone, where he can never hurt anyone again.

The Worlds’ Finest return to Metropolis where they help the injured Blake back to his feet, returning him to Gotham City. From there, they re-open the Boom Tube so they can head back to their respective worlds. Before they’re all gone, though, Welling turns to Keaton and asks “Hey, where were the Primes?” Keaton replies “Oh, the Earth-1s? You know how those two are. They’re always busy saving their own world from the forces evil.”

And that’s how you set up the real Superman/Batman movie for next summer. It’s a Lex Luthor/Ra’s al-Ghul team-up.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

There is no way WB isn't building their movie universe around the Man of Steel Superman, but I'm in love with the idea of every Superman and Batman we've seen in media teaming up. Especially that Dark Knight Returns Adam West bit. Fucking awesome. To bad it'll never happen.

Me_Wise_Magic

While it's kind of funny to see; it's too overly complicated to put together on film. I still stand by Routh as the weakest portrayal of Superman (he should be Overman in my opinion. Routh may of saved a few people; but he left Earth for five years to mope and find himself). It's too crazy and over the place; plus if we are dealing with multiple Supermans and Batmans we would have to include the other universes. Bizarro, Cyborg Superman, Red Son (Soviet) Superman, and those many Batmans. my god! This was a fun to skim through. I thought Cavill made a great Superman. Sure the script wasn't perfect; but with this feel it can improve on that (hopefully!) Interesting thoughts; but yeah I thought the Adam West part was pretty badass.

Board footer