You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: 12 GN'R shows in Las Vegas

monkeychow wrote:

GNR were huge in 1993.

I went to a non-festival GNR show with 75,000 people at it.

In 2010 I saw GNR in a venue that holds 12,000 and they co-headlined with Korn.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

GNR were huge in 1993.

I went to a non-festival GNR show with 75,000 people at it.

In 2010 I saw GNR in a venue that holds 12,000 and they co-headlined with Korn.

yeah, but 500 people were there for korn. i know, i`m a korn fan 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not trying to win anything.

It was suggested earlier in the thread that GNR's 1993 success was not as a headline act but because they co-toured with Metallica.

I took the implication to be that current attendance levels are indicative of historical attendance and that nothing has really changed.

I was just saying that's not factually accurate at least as far as the Australian market goes.

As a fan of all GNR line ups and all side projects I'm not trying to take sides. As Sky Dog said though it "is what it is" - and I know that in 1993 at least in these parts GNR was a huge band along the lines on what U2 and Bon Jovi and so on are today...and for better or worse that's not the case today.

Doesn't mean that CD2 won't be great and doesn't mean the band isn't good just don't tell me 1993 wasn't real or I'll feel the need to win a prize wink

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think what was said is that they couldn't do a stadium tour in the US without Metallica. No one said that today's attendance matched what they did back then.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Fair enough.

It just frustrates me.

If you think about it...in about the same length of time since CD was released to now....4 years...the old band recorded AFD, Lies, UYI1 and 2, and became the biggest band on the planet.

I still believe Axl is one of the best songwriters around, he's got a band now with DJ who has very strong riff writing skills, bumble who can shred any solo....these vegas shows will be great I think...but at some point it just becomes depressing considering how the band could be a musical act in it's own right rather than just recreating the UYI era....and there seems to me to be no rational reason why they don't.....but I guess it's Axl's life and he can do what he chooses.

But I guess it has made me a little negative of late.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think if the new line up had two or three albums released, they'd still be playing the same setlist, just with a couple new songs thrown in.

And I don't think Axl has ever looked at playing live as part of his art, but part of his work, if that makes any sense. I've never seen promoting a band be such a pain to an artist as it seems to be for him, for whatever reason. I just don't see any scenerio where he'd be doing anything differently. We're not dealing with normal here. 16

Don't let it get to you, Monkey smile

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

No, it doesn't feel like a victory. It feels like a loss. A great loss.

GN'R were the ultimate band for me back then. I collected everything from them. I was listening albums and bootlegs 24/7. I had like 7 GN'R shirts and everyday I went to the school in one of them. (Well, I had a Led Zeppeli and a Skid row shirt, too.) They inspired me to learn guitar. I learnt all their songs, except a few which I couldn't.
Now it's a meh band for me. Only the past (and Slash's recent solo efforts) keep me here. Cause there is really nothing in Axl's band and post 1996 career to get excited about. And it's a great, great loss, considering how unbelievable great he was in his prime. I thought he could succeed alone, or with new musicians and will continue to make great music. But I was wrong.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer