You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: North American Tour Stats for new Gnr

tejastech08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bullshit. Original GN'R was destined to crash and burn no matter what.

Oh give it a rest. We all know the potential was there to be the next Zeppelin or Stones but Axl wanted to hibernate and waste his fucking talent. Axl Rose wasted his talent more than anyone else. Why? because he's done fuck all creatively the last 20 years.

I agree that Axl has wasted his talent, but I disagree on the notion of GN'R becoming the next Zeppelin or Stones. Let's take Zeppelin for instance. Compare their lyrics with the stuff on Appetite. Zeppelin was singing about Lord of the Rings shit half the time, while GN'R was singing about living their own lives on the edge (drugs, alcohol, L.A. slums, etc.).

My point here is what made GN'R great was the very fact that they were a bunch of street bums and they wrote very honest songs about that shitty lifestyle they were living. Once they got rich, they had nothing to write about. None of the material they've written lately has been anywhere near the standard of old GN'R. Izzy is the only one who was able to keep writing a lot of good material after he got rich.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, like visiting the dentist. Pure poetry.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

The Beatles talked about holding hands and submarines but yet they managed to do pretty well!

I think that Guns could have reached Zepplin status, and I don't think that becoming rich had a whole to do with it. They were rich when they made the Illusions and there is pure gold in those albums

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

The Beatles talked about holding hands and submarines but yet they managed to do pretty well!

I think that Guns could have reached Zepplin status, and I don't think that becoming rich had a whole to do with it. They were rich when they made the Illusions and there is pure gold in those albums

Best material on the Illusions was written before Appetite came out. Just saying.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

Best material on the Illusions was written before Appetite came out. Just saying.

True, but you also mentioned that the content of the music was why Gn'R couldn't be as good as Zeppelin, but they managed to write just as good material outside of the songs that talked about living on the street

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

True, but you also mentioned that the content of the music was why Gn'R couldn't be as good as Zeppelin, but they managed to write just as good material outside of the songs that talked about living on the street

But the songs were written at a time when the band was hungry. Once they got rich, they lost their songwriting edge.

Bro-mero

Bro-mero wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

But the songs were written at a time when the band was hungry. Once they got rich, they lost their songwriting edge.

GnR never made another album, outside of a cover album, after the Illusions. And the only thing we have to go off of to say that they lost their song writing ability is all the individual material everyone wrote post-GnR. I think if GnR collectivity made another album after the Illusions that it would be pretty damn good!

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

No. Civil War, Coma, Estranged, Double Talkin' Jive were all written after AFD. YCBM and November Rain wasn't done at all before AFD either. These are the best songs of the UYIs. I wouldn't miss the AFD left-overs (Back Off Bitch, Bad Obsession, etc.) too much from the twins.

This 'as soon as they got rich they lost it' stuff just doesn't hold water. Has nothing to do with reality. GN'R could have been the next Led Zeppelin or Stones based on their creativity and artistic strength. They still had a lot to write about, since Axl's poetry is driven by anger, sadness, self-pity, revenge etc. and he's still feeling it. I think it's more appropriate to say that as soon as they got rich, they didn't have the drive to stay together.

I know that you are a huge Izzy fan, but the millionaire Izzy didn't do anything for the band, just walked out when he had enough. Slash, Duff and Axl fought more to make this band functionable, whatever it meant for them.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Axl was working on November Rain before GN'R even formed. Don't Cry was the first song Axl and Izzy wrote for GN'R. And I'm pretty damn sure YCBM was written before AFD came out. And I'm not a "huge" Izzy fan. I just think he doesn't get the respect he deserves since everyone obsesses over Axl and Slash.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Axl was working on November Rain before GN'R even formed. Don't Cry was the first song Axl and Izzy wrote for GN'R. And I'm pretty damn sure YCBM was written before AFD came out. And I'm not a "huge" Izzy fan. I just think he doesn't get the respect he deserves since everyone obsesses over Axl and Slash.

Axl started to write NR in the early 80s. Doesn't mean it was anything close to the song we got in 1991. Not at all. Slash wasn't even around, and he made it an all-time great with those 3 magnificent solos. Nobody's saying that Rocket Queen is a Roadcrew song, although the main themes were written years before GN'R. Same goes for NR.

I'm not a DC fan, although it was a popular song off UYI. But the twins had more popular, and even more better tunes.

YCBM wasn't done at all. That's why it didn't make AFD.

I repeat it: Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Coma, Double Talkin' Jive all were written after AFD. So I think they became even better songwriters after the success - but unfortunately the band fell apart, because the ego management failed.

Board footer