You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: ADLER: Debut Album Details Revealed

monkeychow wrote:

Released on Itunes today:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/back- … d577500244

I'm going to hunt out and see if there's a physical CD.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Not bad at all. It's hard for me to get into the singer very much, especially after watching him lifelessly play the opening to SCOM behind his head. But the song is actually pretty good.

When I was cruising wiki, I came across this little factoid that I've never seen mentioned before:

"In June 1998, Adler joined the newly reformed hard rock band BulletBoys, along with future Guns N' Roses guitarist DJ Ashba."

Steven relapsed and/or got arrested before they could go on tour, but thought that was pretty amazing.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

You are correct. I read that as well. Would of been an amazing tour!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This album fucking rocks!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
smoke wrote:

Not bad at all. It's hard for me to get into the singer very much, especially after watching him lifelessly play the opening to SCOM behind his head. But the song is actually pretty good.

When I was cruising wiki, I came across this little factoid that I've never seen mentioned before:

"In June 1998, Adler joined the newly reformed hard rock band BulletBoys, along with future Guns N' Roses guitarist DJ Ashba."

Steven relapsed and/or got arrested before they could go on tour, but thought that was pretty amazing.

DJ was in BulletBoys?

Well that explains alot.

....smooth up in 'ya 16 dj

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

This album is AWESOME!!!  Also, I think the Slash playing on the ballad is top notch. I like the volume swells at the end. Great album. Back From The Dead rock so hard.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Found a link for an actual CD rather than just itunes for you people like me who obsess over sound quality:

http://www.corerevolt.com/adler/

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Finally listened to the album this weekend. I wish I could get a physical CD of it, but it's just too pricey for my tastes, and i'm not much into MP3 album purchases, beyond a certain price point. Despite it all, I really liked what I heard from the stream.

ADLER: Back From The Dead

1. Back From The Dead
--- Tries to be a comeback song, lesser than Crue '94, better than new Skid Row, but somewhere in-between. The guitar solo is the best part. There's just something awfully forgettable about this one.

2. Own Worst Enemy
-- Guitars instantly are the best part of the song. Fucking awesome man. Song chorus tries, but frankly never grabs me. Next...

3. Another Version of the Truth
--- The first song that immediately jumps out to me. Amazing start, awesome melody, great pacing, catchy as hell, general enough to be instantly accessible to many.

4. The One That You Hated
--- Even better. Easily one of the best songs on the album. Still just as good as the first time I heard it.

5. Good To Be Bad
--- Fucking horrendous. Tries to be rock-angst and sounds like a parody song from GTA: Vice City band Love Fist. What the fuck where they thinking with this? Absolutely laughable. Even John 5's guitar solo sounds like a piss take. Yes i'm serious... it sounds like Love Fist.

6. Just Don't Ask
--- amazing from start to finish

7. Blown Away
--- Mid-album B-side, tad forgettable

8. Waterfall
--- The big 'un ballad. As good as anything on rock radio today, so a huge kudos to Adler. I think I prefer the White Lion-esque acoustic version they did on YouTube, but the full production is great too.

9. Habit
--- Another late album B-side. Seems to be Steven's reflective song, but I doubt he wrote it. Seems to be a bio of Steven's life. Reminds me of something Slash would've done on Five O'Clock, but actually good.

10. Your Diamonds
--- A little gay. A bit too sappy and cliche for my tastes. Seems like almost a Steel Panther-moment. Not crazy about it.

11. Dead Wrong
--- Another self-reflective song, the album has seemingly given up on itself by this point imo. It just seems to be melody for the sake of melody.

***1/4 stars - 3.25/5 -- Pretty Good

Steven said he wanted something "relevant". Well this is definitely relevant. Every track oozes radio hooks, and instantly tasty melodies. However there's so much fluff, that just like eating Redi-Whip whipped cream from the can, after so much creamy sweetness, it starts to have a refined chemical aftertaste after so many tracks. Still, Steven can finally be proud that he's associated himself with something that he has MADE HIS MARK post-GN'R. Congrats Popcorn, you've come a long way. And not only did Steven make his mark, but this album is easily among the best of post-GN'R output. Easily. Axl's Chinese Democracy, Izzy's Ju Ju Hounds, Duff's Believe In Me, Slash 2010, or Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars. I'd actually put Adler's Back From The Dead among the Top-4 at least, if not Top-2. Yes, it's that good.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Agree, great album!

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Its pretty good. own worst enemy, habit, just dont ask top tracks to me. Lot of crap on here and very formulaic. VERY disappointed in the J5 track as I love his work and this track is extremely subpar.

Board footer