You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: New Interview - Brain Mantia talks Guns N' Roses

monkeychow wrote:

Never really got the fuss over Brain...might be a great technical player but the songs never sounded right with him.

Steve had the enthusiasm and feel on the AFD tracks, Matt has the fucking power and plays the shit out of stuff and gave the UYI albums a massive sound in the songs.

Frank is like a cool-ass hybrid of what's good about Steven and Matt. In the absence of one of them returning then Frank is the best possible man for the job IMO.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I always found it funny that the people that loved Brain hated Matt.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I like frank.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

How so? Style, attitude?

I loved Brain myself, never really hated Matt though he when he started spouting off after the fact and making shit up he annoyed me a bit.

But I think part of what I loved about Brain (and Freese for that matter) was the direction I thought he'd be involved in taking Guns in. Now that's seemingly been abandoned, I'm more on board that Frank's the right guy for the job.

I also don't think that Brain said anything wrong or arrogant in this interview. I think he's speaking from a technical perspective, and the earlier leaks of CD tracks bear out that even if there's disagreement on the difficulty of the drumming, there was definitely a certain feel that changed with Frank. No judgement calls, because I like both, but it just is you know?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I was one of those people, because like Smoke said, I think Brain could have been the guy needed for the future. Now, it appears there is no need for someone technical and experimental like Brain.

I don't have anything against Matt as a player, but he's just come off as a giant douchebag post-GNR.

Honestly, drums are probably the last thing I think of when I think of GNR, so there's that.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I was one of those people, because like Smoke said, I think Brain could have been the guy needed for the future. Now, it appears there is no need for someone technical and experimental like Brain.

I don't have anything against Matt as a player, but he's just come off as a giant douchebag post-GNR.

Honestly, drums are probably the last thing I think of when I think of GNR, so there's that.

That's kind of my point.  I think drumming is the least important thing on most songs, so remember that bias in advance.

I don't hear much difference in Brain and Matt - I think they are both good technical drummers.  I don't think they are all that dissimilar, so it made me laugh when Brain was great and Matt sucked.

Matt is a douche, or at least comes off douchey sometimes.  I don't think it really matters.  Can he play drums well enough for GnR?  If yes, then that's good enough for me.  Shit, they are all douches in their own way.  They all have their faults.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I think if you asked the drumming world who was the better drummer the consensus would be brain. Much more technical. I can't remember where but I am sure I read an interview where Matt confessed to running out of drum fills on UYI.

I liked some of sorum's drumming on UYI but would have liked to have heard steve's version. Is there a bootleg of steve on you could be mine? The reason I ask is I thought this was written at the same time as appetite.

I like Frank too. He hits the drums hard.

There was some great drumming at the end of the catcher leak, think it was brain

Bono floors them all though. 9

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Locomotive alone cements Matt's place among the all time greats.

I couldn't name a song with Brain that would be 10% as good drumming wise. Hell, I think all the stuff he's done combined is far away from Locomotive.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

As ive stated a million times. Nothing on CD drum wise is memorable. Say what u want about adler but I can hum u almost all his drum parts on afd. Drumming on CD couldve been same u hear on any cd released at the time.

Board footer