You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Commissioner, Women’s Shelter Call GN'R Concerts Ads 'Inappropriate'

Bono wrote:

the point is it's a picture of a beaten, raped woman with her tits hanging out and panties around her ankles.  Pretty obvious why some people might have an issue with this stuff being displayed openly in the public.  It's pretty arrogant and extremely fanboyish to say that it's unnecessary censorship to take them down or have them edited.

Pretty sure if Christina Agueleria or someone else had similar posters being used as a promotional campaign the same people defending Gn'R here would be saying how classless and disgusting she is and how it would be offensive to women.

it doesn't take much to understand why these posters, plastered for all the public to see, would cause an issue for some.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

the point is it's a picture of a beaten, raped woman with her tits hanging out and panties around her ankles.  Pretty obvious why some people might have an issue with this stuff being displayed openly in the public.  It's pretty arrogant and extremely fanboyish to say that it's unnecessary censorship to take them down or have them edited.

Pretty sure if Christina Agueleria or someone else had similar posters being used as a promotional campaign the same people defending Gn'R here would be saying how classless and disgusting she is and how it would be offensive to women.

it doesn't take much to understand why these posters, plastered for all the public to see, would cause an issue for some.

Nah, not buying it.  The poster has a meaning when it comes to GNR.  With it being used on AFD.  So if Christina Aguilera randomly chose a painting of a woman being raped, yeah it would be weird.

People can have a problem with said painting.  But to cause such an uproar is ridiculous in my mind. Call me a fanboy all you want.  I don't see it that way.  Whether the rap community is doing it, rock, pop, whatever.  Groups like the women's shelter are seeking attention half the time in situations like this.

Again, sorry to sound insensitive, because I'm sure it does sound that way.  But that's how this "fanboy" sees it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I get why it's offensive....

I'm just confused why this add is singled out.

CalvinKlein-NY-houston_billboard-475x400.jpg
sex-nasal-spray.jpg
A4V7SwzCQAAE-Mv.jpg

Maybe it's because it's suggesting something wrong?

lickable1.jpg

Maybe it's the violence?

CK-Australia-rape.jpg

Again. I'm not enough of a fan boy to say it's right. I get it's offensive. But there is some artistic value to it - and it's far from alone as you can see.

faldor

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I get why it's offensive....

I'm just confused why this add is singled out.

Exactly.  That's why the women's shelter is seeking attention.  This being a well known publicized event in Vegas, they knew that complaining about this picture would get publicity.  Mission accomplished.  It's not about the picture in the end.  It's about getting exposure to their cause.  Not that their cause isn't fruitful, but let's take it for what it is.

Why stop at that one picture?  Are all their problems solved now that it's been censored?  I think not.  Yet, their voices have been heard.  Which is what they really wanted.

Oh, and by the way.  Some of those ads you posted are downright ridiculous.  I think I'M offended by those.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

CalvinKlein-NY-houston_billboard-475x400.jpg

That dude needs to EAT. Rarely do I single out naked guys, but yuck. Eat something man.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Obviously there's gonna be issues with certain types of ads and the content will be called into question. However not one of those examples you posted Monkey depicts a woman who's been beaten, raped and has her tits hanging out with her panties around her ankles. In fact not one of them shows any type of violence at all. 

There's a difference and the album cover was deemed inappropriate a few decades ago so t's not hard to see why people may have an issue with it as billboard material in 2012.  I personally have no problem with it myself but I can definitely see why some might and to suggest it's just art is such a  cop out. yeah yeah it's art big deal. Doesn't change the fact some people will be bothered by it and doesn't change the fact that it just may be inappropriate to have ti plastered for everyone and anyone to see. Why not just go with some combination of the cross logo and CD artwork? Duh because Gn'R knew full well the rape scene picture would cause an issue. 

What if they had billboards of two guys fucking even without the genitals showing. Just art or inappropriate?   IF anyone has an issue with a billboard ad of two dudes fucking let me ask why that would be so bad yet a  billboard of a woman who's been beaten and raped is just art?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

What I want to know is... since when did Bono give a shit about women's rights?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

However not one of those examples you posted Monkey depicts a woman who's been beaten, raped and has her tits hanging out with her panties around her ankles. In fact not one of them shows any type of violence at all.

No but one of them suggests pedophilla and I think the last one implies some kind of forceful groupsex/rape environment from the body language of it all.

Still the AFD cover is a little brutal...I'm just surprised these days anyone cares. I mean people were offended in the 80s - but that's back when they'd censor out swearwords and stuff too....these days it's like a free for all out there.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Obviously there's gonna be issues with certain types of ads and the content will be called into question. However not one of those examples you posted Monkey depicts a woman who's been beaten, raped and has her tits hanging out with her panties around her ankles. In fact not one of them shows any type of violence at all. 

There's a difference and the album cover was deemed inappropriate a few decades ago so t's not hard to see why people may have an issue with it as billboard material in 2012.  I personally have no problem with it myself but I can definitely see why some might and to suggest it's just art is such a  cop out. yeah yeah it's art big deal. Doesn't change the fact some people will be bothered by it and doesn't change the fact that it just may be inappropriate to have ti plastered for everyone and anyone to see. Why not just go with some combination of the cross logo and CD artwork? Duh because Gn'R knew full well the rape scene picture would cause an issue.

Yeah, but like Russ mentioned.  Why was it okay to be up for a month?  If your argument was it should have never been approved, then fine.  I can totally accept that.  Just like, as you mentioned, it got moved to the inner sleeve of AFD.  But once it gets approval, and is up for an extended period, then it all of a sudden becomes an issue.  That doesn't jive with me.

Board footer