You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: Why MTV Doesn't Play Videos Anymore

jorge76 wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

One thing that I don't get is why have the other music channels out there, but not broadcast any of that stuff on MTV?  You have palladia, AXSTV & HDnet (at least) that are constantly showing mostly quality music related content. Why not get at least SOME credibility back by showing that stuff?

Even VH1 has become completely useless. Up until they started the "...Of Love" series of shows, they were at least still showing some good music related content. Ever since those first shows, the channel has just become embarrassing.

Because credibility doesn't sell to kids that are into Justin Beiber, and if you are into Jersey Shore (and evidently a shitload of people are) you don't give a shit about credibility.  They know where the money comes from. 

I haven't watched even a second of Mtv in years, I'm not into what they do.  If they showed the videos that would be popular with today's youth, I wouldn't have watched a second more.

Paladia is Fantastic, but I would guess they don't make near the money/ratings the bullshit on Mtv does.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

jorge76 wrote:

i found that super funny and ridiculously accurate.  It's still Mtv because Mtv is a youth oriented brand.  Nothing more nothing less, amazingly, for all the reasons this joke video said.

Sums it up quite nicely. Video was very informative even though the head of MTV is a douche. Personally the only channel I watch that plays the music I listen to most of the time is VH1 Classic. It actually helped me listen to certain songs I didn't know that came from some bands I heard growing up or some bands that have been around for years that I have recently discovered and enjoyed. Since my parents never listened to some of that music growing up or just flat out hated like heavy metal. They are getting better though. 16 They had their good tastes like Elvis, The Beatles, and others that I would enjoy; but I didn't start to love The Beatles until I heard cuts from Abbey Road and when they truly made some of their best material around 1965 to the breakup.  I try to expand my variety by listening to both older and current music. They are some great indie bands coming out that are really good that are showing up at some of the rock shows I've been to.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Paladia has some good music content on there. Sometimes I check the On demand music areas and see if there are any good bands or artists to listen to in the VH1 Classic, Paladia, Fuse or Havock sections.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

It seems weird to say it, but I've discovered most of the bands I've newly gotten into because of Facebook.  Either by bands that I already like putting up youtube videos, seeing who's touring with who, or a few labels or organizations puttting up compilations for download.  It seems odd that social media would be able to do that for someone my age (I'll be 36 shortly) but honestly I've went into a new golden age of discovering music I dig because of it.

johndivney wrote:

the day that you play me will be the same day mtv play videos...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

So he thinks from the people complaining about the "no videos" thing, that the only videos we want to see are the ones from artists 20 years ago, well, he's hugely mistaken.

What a fuckin dick.
There's plenty of new bands putting out new music videos all the time, and being MUSIC TV, they should fuckin play them instead of stupid reality shows. Otherwise, don't call yourselves MTV.

I've never seen a bigger load of shit in defence of crap programming in my life.... 14 14 14

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I haven't had cable/satellite in years, but when I did VH1 Classic is literally the only music channel worth a damn. VH1 Classic reminded me of what MTV was when I first discovered as a little kid much to my mother's disliking.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

So he thinks from the people complaining about the "no videos" thing, that the only videos we want to see are the ones from artists 20 years ago, well, he's hugely mistaken.

What a fuckin dick.
There's plenty of new bands putting out new music videos all the time, and being MUSIC TV, they should fuckin play them instead of stupid reality shows. Otherwise, don't call yourselves MTV.

I've never seen a bigger load of shit in defence of crap programming in my life.... 14 14 14

I thought that was done as a joke.  I mean, that guy wasn't a real MTV executive was he?  I agreed with most of what he said, regardless.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

MTV always took alot of shit, but man if they didn't impact me & my generation a ton!!

I remember seeing all the videos, good or bad, to the songs I really liked (SCOM, She talks to Angels, Sandman, Teen Spirit, etc) the goofs like Sabotage & Buddy Holly, everyone I knew talking about the Nirvana Unplugged, PJ on the VMA show '93, watching Alternative Nation at midnight or 120 minutes on Sunday nights to find some real cool lofi indie bands, some who would be be heard from, others who would not. It may be coincidence, but some of the BEST music was concurrent with MTV.

Music aside, they did some pretty revolutionary things as well. The bad/shaky camera angles, quick edits. Putting a Playboy centerfold (Jenny McCarthy) on as host of a dating show and you know what, she didn't do half bad at it.  Not to mention basically inventing reality TV by putting 7(?) strangers in a house together & taping 24/7 to see and air everything that happens. (Heck, you can now see drunk grown up housewives in their 40s & 50s getting into fights as normal television). SNL & sketch shows like The State, Buzzkill, Tom Green etc which pinnacled by giving the Jackass crew a show.  Being the first to scout out & give Jon Stewart his own 30 minute TV show, and of course Beavis & Butthead.

I could go on.

Looking back, I guess the youth of today has Youtube for that kinda stuff, but as cheesy as they were, and as much as I disliked them, yeah they were a huge part of all Generation Xers.

Board footer