You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: GN'R Filming: How is it financed?

metallex78 wrote:

It may be silly, half the stuff we post about here, but that's human nature. Well, my nature anyway.
With artists I'm into, I usually dive straight in, and dig up as much info as I can about this and that, because I live for music, and I find musicians to be the most interesting people... It just so happens, GN'R haven't got all that much to talk about lately, so interesting threads like this pop up.

Anyway, back to discussing Beta's bass playing abilities, and what she'll bring to the studio version of The Seeker.... 9

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I used to work for Hoyts, an Australian cinema chain, and I asked one of the girls I used to work with what the deal was with the Live In London getting pulled. And she said they just got word from the distributor that it got canned. But that there were talks for it being shown in January possibly...

Mind you, they said when shit like this happens, bridges are burnt, and second chance screenings aren't as likely.

Take that how you will.

johndivney wrote:

this type of speculation is what being a fan is. it's a concern & an issue. if the band isn't financially viable, how long can it hold out? where is the waste at? what needs streamlined?
the bizarre thing is the answers to those questions seem to be: forever; everywhere; everything.
as with every other aspect to the band, this video thing is something else that doesn't add up or sit right & therefore it's open to speculation & discussion.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl's finances are fine. I am quite sure of that. You need to keep in mind alot of big name artists hold back on releasing the vault stuff. I imagine because they want to wait until late in life to release it as some form of retirement security. Look at the Stones...it took Mick 30-40 years before he released  proper live dvds of the 1972 tour and  the 1978 tour. That shit was sitting around forever. Dylan finally started unloading his vault after a good 30 years. Van Halen has yet to release much of anything vault related.

Gnr still sells records and concert tickets...a steady income is still in play. No need to rush anything out.

Just giving another angle. 5

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I completely agree with Sky Dog. This shit is so boring now.

Just play some fucking songs that nobody's heard you so-called musicians, and by that I mean AXL.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

I think he is financially fine and is just simply having a good time at this point. Nothing more nothing less. The dvd releases and things may be held up by Geffen/Uni since they are still under contract with them. Who knows the real reason why we don't get anything.....

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Dipping into the vault now could be a great strategy for Axl. Their live show is well honed, and by releasing another album they cold continue to tour and give time for the band to write as a group.

The other thing I'd like to see if Axl spend a bit of time with izzy and write a few gnr tunes together. I'm sure if they laid a foundation the rest of the group could write around it.

I'd be keen to ask bumble now he's been in the band for quite a while how he would approach writing guitar parts. His solo style seems so far apart from the classic rock vibe.

Anyway sorry went off track there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's important to distinguish between wealth and liquid assets though.

Axl owns a bunch of things that have extreme value attached - the GNR brand name, probably most of his mansion, art, cars etc.

However these make him rich on paper but they aren't items you sell to pay for month to month expenses.

So it's really only what comes in royalty checks and touring so on that he'd be able to use to pay his bills - and the thing is he has a lot of bills - there's every cost of running GNR - as everyone is an employee from the lawyers and accountants to Frank. To the costs of maintaining his home and possessions - to family members he might support - to whichever members of team brazil are under his financial protection - to the costs of any artistic project he undertakes be it live or recorded - to costs of having people like Jarmo and Dell work for him on occasion..to security and bodyguards.. .not to mention lifestyle costs he himself may be accustomed to after being famous so long - types of food, clothes, cars, possessions, throwing parties....

All that stuff adds up to a lot of outgoings every month, and the question would be if his wealth is in things that can pay for that - as he's not about to sell the GNR brand or his house to pay a random bill....so I don't think he's poor in the way you and I are in our non celebrity lives...BUT....at the same time I could easily believe that certain activities might be chosen to facilitate liquid cash flow and income to meet all the expenses of running GNR and living as Axl and co.

Board footer