You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: McCartney to Front Nirvana Reunion TONIGHT- NEW SONG

Saikin wrote:

It’s strongly rumored that at tonight’s 12-12-12 concert to benefit Hurricane Sandy victims tonight at NYC’s Madison Square Garden will feature another huge collaboration, this one between Paul McCartney and the surviving members of Nirvana, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, according to an article that ran on UK’s the Sun. Pat Smear, who played guitar for Nirvana during their last 6 months, will also be part of the reunion.

“I didn’t really know who they were,” McCartney said of Grohl and Novoselic. “They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said ‘Whoa? You guys haven’t played together for all that time? And somebody whispered to me ‘That’s Nirvana. You’re Kurt.’ I couldn’t believe it.”

Nirvana are rumored to perform a new song with McCartney, that they recently wrote while jamming.

http://grungereport.net/?p=19170

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

No Kurt no Nirvana. PERIOD!

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
-D- wrote:

No Kurt no Nirvana. PERIOD!

I don't see it as a nirvana reunion myself. And I don't think they'd brand it as such either. But the press certainly is. I see it more of a one-off supergroup. Unless they decide to do more. It could be awesome.

And yes, Courtney Love has taken to the twitters in a rage.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

A new song? So who sings it, Dave?

Kurt wasn't Chris, or Layne, or Eddie, or even Andy... but... no way Dave can carry Kurt's vocals.

Call what's his face from the Melvins. He'd be good.

Regardless I will definitely be listening for it. It's been a great show so far.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

A new song? So who sings it, Dave?

Kurt wasn't Chris, or Layne, or Eddie, or even Andy... but... no way Dave can carry Kurt's vocals.

Call what's his face from the Melvins. He'd be good.

Regardless I will definitely be listening for it. It's been a great show so far.

It'll be interesting. My bet is a McCartney/Dave combo or just McCartney.

I hope they don't announce them as Nirvana though.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

I just had a thought- it would be INCREDIBLY weird to see McCartney singing Rape Me.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I was thinking Pennyroyal Tea. 16

At least we're on the 'correct' album. Smells Like Teen Spirit would just be hokey.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I was thinking Pennyroyal Tea. 16

At least we're on the 'correct' album. Smells Like Teen Spirit would just be hokey.

ANY of them would sound weird. Smells Like Teen Spirit should definitely be retired. MAYBE when they get inducted pull it out, but until then leave it alone.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

As I recall Dave, Krist, and Pat only played Teen Spirit as a instrumental. Nobody sang. Dave let the mic stand alone in memory of Kurt. The only other Nirvana song they've played is Marigold which is a song Dave wrote.

As for the special Paul McCartney performance, It may happen. Looks like he is almost done with his set. Doing Blackbird right now.

I personally think it will be a new song that doesn't involve the Nirvana catalog.

About A Girl would be interesting to hear though.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Did you hear it? What was it called, "Mother"?

Kicked ten tons of ass. McCartney was a great choice for it. So fucking weird to see him fronting Nirvana, yet somehow pulling it off. I mean just an odd, yet somehow appropriate moment.

For years Kurt was called the "Paul McCartney" of his generation and Nirvana "The Beatles" of Gen X. Yet Paul gets the call to do this.

Craziness. Moment of the night. Absolutely pure throwback Nirvana energy with a Beatle. Unbelieveable. 9 x 100

What's up with Seattle lately? Resurrected? Reunited AIC, then Soundgarden, now Nirvana... only thing left is PJ doing a sequel to Ten.

Board footer