You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Elementary School Shooting in US

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah that's why I only offered a very brief statement on the whole deal.

The media is a fucking whore that will report literally anything today because they're so damn scared the internet is gonna beat them to get you to give them ratings.

People need to settle down and let this thing soak in (Stacey) and wait for the actual facts to come out. Look at the gun thing, first it was an assault rifle, than it was handguns, now it's a rifle, next it'll be a crossbow... let the media pull each others dicks and the real people just mourn.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Horrific.  I feel terrible for the families, their lives are ruined forever because of some asshole.  I'm not a parent but I couldn't imagine sending my child off to school and then getting this horrific news, just tragic.  Couldn't imagine ever really recovering from it much either.

Poor kids, to have gone in such a way by some pussy. Makes me realize they should just put the Batman killer in a prisonyard & let the inmates just have a field day with him, full on torture.

Not to sound like an old head guys, but shit like this didn't happen much a long time ago. A guy I work with said it well, & I concur. Like it or not, it's the video games.  A bunch of picked on nerds in their own fantasy world, desensitized to human life, capable in their minds of controlling a situation.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

The media is a fucking whore that will report literally anything today because they're so damn scared the internet is gonna beat them to get you to give them ratings.

People need to settle down and let this thing soak in (Stacey) and wait for the actual facts to come out. Look at the gun thing, first it was an assault rifle, than it was handguns, now it's a rifle, next it'll be a crossbow... let the media pull each others dicks and the real people just mourn.

Yeah, a friend of mine text me today saying that "The Newsroom" would have a field day with this with all the misinformation.  Makes that show even more believable seeing this stuff going down.  I mean they identified the shooter as the brother, who wasn't even in the state at the time.  Then they said the shooter had his brother's ID on him, then he had no ID on him.  I mean, it's crazy.

So very sad though.  I'm going to the Patriots game tomorrow night against the Niners and they're lighting 26 white flares in memory of the victims before the game.  Even with numerous beers in me at the time, I don't think I'll be able to refrain from shedding a few tears.  Awful, awful stuff.  I went to get some tailgating necessities tonight and saw many young children with their parents in the supermarket, something I wouldn't normally take much notice of.  But in the wake of this horrendous event, I couldn't help it.  It was good to see, but at the same time, I felt sadness for all those families whose lives were rocked yesterday.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Horrific.  I feel terrible for the families, their lives are ruined forever because of some asshole.  I'm not a parent but I couldn't imagine sending my child off to school and then getting this horrific news, just tragic.  Couldn't imagine ever really recovering from it much either.

Poor kids, to have gone in such a way by some pussy. Makes me realize they should just put the Batman killer in a prisonyard & let the inmates just have a field day with him, full on torture.

Not to sound like an old head guys, but shit like this didn't happen much a long time ago. A guy I work with said it well, & I concur. Like it or not, it's the video games.  A bunch of picked on nerds in their own fantasy world, desensitized to human life, capable in their minds of controlling a situation.

This thinking drives me crazy. People paint such a rosey picture of the past, but don't take into a account the huge swell in our population and the media. We are a lot less violent nation now than we were in the past. We had some of the most heinous killings back in the good old days. People are acting like this just started happening. Go back to the civil war and trace the history of violence in the US from then to now. And it had nothing to do with video games or movies.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

This thinking drives me crazy. People paint such a rosey picture of the past, but don't take into a account the huge swell in our population and the media. We are a lot less violent nation now than we were in the past. We had some of the most heinous killings back in the good old days. People are acting like this just started happening. Go back to the civil war and trace the history of violence in the US from then to now. And it had nothing to do with video games or movies.

Agree with misterID. This thinking drives me crazy too.

In the 1900s we had two world wars, that's TWO world wars. On top of that we had Vietnam, Korea, Serbia, Iraq, Afghanistan (Russians) where we were involved.

What you gotta understand, is that there's been a paradigm shift in the ways we operate. We used to operate on large scale, mass battle field killings (5000 dead at Omaha 06.06.44 within hours). After WW2, people were tired of war, but we still have had an atomic war looming. We can't put the post WW2 era as the level of our expectations of human behaviour. Europe had been a continent of 1000 years of war, and 70 years of peace. 70 years people.

As for the US, the country is based on violence, it's been freed based on violence. Your whole country has a history of war, murders and so on.

After the cold war had ended, we had a shift in our society. It slowly started with Colombine, it hit us hard with 9/11 and it reached Norway only last year. Long gone is the large killing fields of history. Nations work together now for the most part, we are economically connected and cannot afford war. Europe has finally, for the first time ever, had 70 years of peace.

But what we got in return is this. Lone, hidden - silent killers with an agenda. Confused or bored teenagers with easy access to guns. Islamic jihad and right winger nuts capable of killing teenagers. London 2005, Madrid 2004, suicide bombings. On top of that the Iraq war, a direct result of this shift in our society. We met it the old fashioned way, against the new way, and we sort of lost both there and in Afghanistan.

There's been a shift in paradigm, this is the new reality now.

But, the world has never been a more peaceful place, even if that's hard to understand. With such an easy access to never-before-seen killing devices in the history of humanity, of course it will look bad.

The Offspring showed this nicely in their Conspiracy of One booklet.

1567[3499-3]-booklet.jpg

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

I'm late to the game as usual, but I read through all the pages of this thread. A lot of debate, and opinion. But it is testament to all you guys who posted that this debate didn't turn into an all out abusive piss-fight as I am sure it has on other forums.

Russ - Your last post above says it all, my little son ended up in bed with us last night because he couldn't sleep (he's only 2), he snuggled up next to us and put his arm on me, and I couldn't help but lay awake thinking about what happened.

Whatever the background debate on the subject of guns, I just felt so very sad for the parents of the kids who didn't come home, and the families and friends of the teachers and staff who also didn't come home, and what they must be going through right now.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The gun debate is a knee-jerk reaction that happens every time this stuff happens.

A loss of  and violation of your rights always comes shrouded in a bow of "protecting children".

Be very careful how you tread. I didn't see alot of candlelight vigils for all of those children casualties of war in Afghanistan and Iraq that American bombs killed.

I'm just saying, before Obama and the liberals try to turn this horrific massacre into a political agenda momentum moment to push whatever they believe in. Or the Republicans and the bible thumpers cry "violent video games and lack of God in schools" as the reason.

As soon as I hear either of those arguments, my first reaction is "you don't know what the hell you're talking about".

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think a war zone is a bit different than a lunatic shooting up a grade 1 classroom

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Overall gun violence is going down in the US, but these sorts of mass killings are on the rise, and I don't think anybody has a very good explanation for why that is. It's disgusting to hear about, but not really helpful when thinking about policies to reduce gun violence. Focusing on the most horrific, high-profile events almost always leads to big mistakes. Just a wordlessly terrible thing.

I liked Morgan Freeman's remarks on it. Try to forget the killer and remember a victim.

Board footer