You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Guns N' Roses Australian Tour 2013

metallex78 wrote:

I'm actually considering maybe going to the Melbourne gig Gibbo, you should make the trek across too

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I dont know if dav will be alowed to go now lol.See how i go

stewharkness
 Rep: 2 

stewharkness wrote:

Thanks for the welcome Gibbo. I mean wouldn't it be great if Axl just belted out something random like Aint it fun or Right next door to hell? I know there are some songs that have to always be included but I'm sure they could swap one of those overkill guitar solo's during the set with a new song maybe every 2nd gig.

ps. By 'New song' I'm not asking for new material even though I'd like that. But the guy has had so much time to jam with these obvious freak musicians that a bit of variety from night to night I wouldn't think would be too much to ask.    How about the claims that the vegas shows were going to offer something new from night to night? You'd be pretty pissed if you went all out and saw multiple shows there.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
stewharkness wrote:

Thanks for the welcome Gibbo. I mean wouldn't it be great if Axl just belted out something random like Aint it fun or Right next door to hell? I know there are some songs that have to always be included but I'm sure they could swap one of those overkill guitar solo's during the set with a new song maybe every 2nd gig.

ps. By 'New song' I'm not asking for new material even though I'd like that. But the guy has had so much time to jam with these obvious freak musicians that a bit of variety from night to night I wouldn't think would be too much to ask.    How about the claims that the vegas shows were going to offer something new from night to night? You'd be pretty pissed if you went all out and saw multiple shows there.

Alright, another Aussie here, and a Sydney-sider like me too. Welcome to gnrevo dude!

Whereabouts in Sydney you from mate?

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
stewharkness wrote:

Alright, another Aussie here, and a Sydney-sider like me too. Welcome to gnrevo dude!

Whereabouts in Sydney you from mate?

And yeah, you've summed up in one paragraph what all of us have been saying for years, Axl is fuckin lazy when it comes to set lists... 14

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm actually considering maybe going to the Melbourne gig Gibbo, you should make the trek across too

Considering? Considering? 17

Your presence is expected here. 16

I *might* give Aussie a pass considering the flight from perth is like 50 times more expensive....but the rest of you in Australia  are required to come to Monkeychow's GNR piss up.

Seriously though we should do it...I remember I met Marcus and Alex in Sydney in 2009  and it was pretty cool.

I'd come up to sydney again but I have to work the day of and the day after...with GNR's finish times don't think I could make a flight back by work time.

Gibbo wrote:

I dont know if dav will be alowed to go now lol.See how i go

Hahah...I AM GOING....assuming I can get a ticket! smile smile

She's very understanding of my GNR condition. lol.

stewharkness
 Rep: 2 

stewharkness wrote:

Hey Metallex78, I'm from the Manly area. It's cool to find a place on the net fall of gnr nerds like me. My friends, family, girlfriend just don't seem to give a crap when I chat about gnr to them..............the jerks.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

"The Pulling Our Shrinking Dicks 2013 Australian Tour"

While GN'R continue to wipe with "the brand", i'll be watching, listening, and keeping track of actual bands in the new year, AIC/Soundgarden, and I hope more to add to the roster.

Axlin's New Year's Resolution?

Moving the fuck on from Guns. RIP 1987-1993.

Maybe we should re-brand the site as bandsthatactuallydososmethingevolution.com

Hahahaha, absolutely.

faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Naltav pretty much nailed it.

When you're down to rationalizing "they didn't play Civil War or Estranged last time"... just shows you the joke this has become. Especially when it's by a bunch of guys who didn't even record the song. This ain't like dusting off Oh My God or Riad N' The Bedouins.

Yeah, but for years people were pleading for them to dust off songs like "Estranged" and "Civil War", and they did.  And now, it's not cool anymore?  Obviously we'd all love for their to be (more) forward progress, as in releasing new music.  It is SOMETHING though.  At least they've added a few different songs each leg.  I loved hearing Estranged, Nice Boys, Used to Love Her, hell even Whole Lotta Rosie.  Didn't get to hear Civil War, TWAT, CITR.  Would love to hear them.  Would also love to hear other rarely played CD songs, Dead Flowers, and (close your eyes Metallex) The Seeker.

There are still plenty of reasons to see the band live in my opinion, despite the growing frustration of them running in place.

Hmm... I completely disagree here. I think if it was the actual artists who wrote those songs, i.e. the AFD or UYI GN'R playing them and recycling them on a reunion tour, I would agree with you.

But for a cover band, I just don't see that attribute as something i'm willing to pay for any longer as a fan, short of a cheap PPV or officially released live show. But to drop $100 bucks PER SEAT on it... come the fuck on. Are you serious? Whatever dope you're on, mail me some.

There is no way that makes sense. If it does for you... wow. Cycling out UYI songs with this band and a helium powerless Axl (most of the time) is just not worth it financially. Not at these prices. But if they want to drop a single, and work a few into the set off a new album... I would also agree with you.

So...

More songs w/ reunion = thumbs up
More songs w/ a few new songs = thumbs up
The shit we got now = utterly worthless, even to those who haven't heard them live

It just doesn't make sense to me. "I haven't heard them live", then YouTube that shit and save yourself the money. But remember this is coming from someone who's seen a few different shows and versions of the new Guns, so unless you absolutely have NOT seen Guns since 1993, seeing them in this form just seems... I don't get it.

As a band you exist for a REASON. PERIOD. Or you go the fuck home. Finding NEW COVERS is not a reason. Why that logic seems to not be a big deal to some is a HUGE deal for me. I really don't get that logic at all.

For example,

How can Axl Rose call himself a Neil Young fan and yet he conducts himself is the pussy conformist way he performs?

That I don't get. If Axl was a true Neil fan, he'd go out there, open with Coma, then do a guitar solo himself to intro Dead Horse, then another to do Madagascar, then perform the next album from front to back (like 14 songs), and encore with Nightrain, Jungle, and Paradise City and tell everyone that nay says it to "suck his fucking dick".

I thought that was who Axl Rose was back in the day... boy I was WAY FUCKING WRONG. But the good news is is there's still hope. Axl can change his routine literally tomorrow. He's still got it, and the world still loves him. He's got a strong band, and a great fanbase. All he has to do is snap his fingers and it's done. THAT is why I hang around. He can change that. He can greenlight a reunion if he wanted. He holds that power, and he's still young enough to do it, and make great new music and people like it.

But without that, I don't see much point for him to even leave his house. So he's played Jungle across the world a bunch of times. It's done we get it... what else 'ya got?

Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I've been thinking on this....there's a couple of things at play here:

1. First is the phenomenon that it's more boring when it's not in your own area. You guys see no interest in an Aussie tour because you don't live here.

I would have the same amount of interest if they were playing in Australia or my own backyard. They give no reason to be interested since they've been doing the same thing for 12 years. Adding Estranged into the set is not my definition of forward progress.

Much more interesting than anything going on with the band is how the hardcore fans of the new lineup who years ago always talked about the new era burying the old and all that other crap are the ones most satisfied with the current state of affairs while us so called "haters", "reunionists", "realists", or whatever they're called now are the people that want them to actually do something. The forum fans most sick of the past are now the ones more willing to wallow in it. I rarely post in this section but about a month ago some people said that GNR's current strategy is better than Soundgarden's. Really? 16 SG has done more in 2 years than GNR has in 19 years.

However, in Axl's defence I've been thinking about it - and why do we assume artistically that artists can or should be prolific?

No one but Sebastian Bach will ever accuse him of being prolific. He doesn't have to be prolific(obviously). He seems perfectly satisfied to be a nostalgia act.

Like Mikka, I'm not gonna bother bitching about set lists or anything regarding the upcoming tour because it doesn't matter. It is what it is. A nostalgia act that rotates a member or two every few years playing the same old shit over and over with no album in sight. Some are happy with it, some aren't.

That's why I think when people over at HTGTH comment on the state of GN'R, they shouldn't even bother. Russ commenting is okay, because Russ has proven himself to be an objective thinker and also an ambassador for the band both with fans like myself, as well as backstage. He gets 'people' and the whole deal. He's the type of guy that is the middle guy between 'those types' and guys like myself or Kim's Beard or Mikka that are far more critical of the band existing ONLY for artistic merit, like other bands from GNR's era, other than GN'R themselves.

At this point Axl is Axl, what absolutely boggles my mind is why someone would pay even $70 bucks to hear a cover band play Civil War & The Seeker. Even Axl's covering The Seeker. That just... makes my head want to pop like a grape. I do not get the logic in it at all.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Naltav pretty much nailed it.

When you're down to rationalizing "they didn't play Civil War or Estranged last time"... just shows you the joke this has become. Especially when it's by a bunch of guys who didn't even record the song. This ain't like dusting off Oh My God or Riad N' The Bedouins.

Yeah, but for years people were pleading for them to dust off songs like "Estranged" and "Civil War", and they did.  And now, it's not cool anymore?  Obviously we'd all love for their to be (more) forward progress, as in releasing new music.  It is SOMETHING though.  At least they've added a few different songs each leg.  I loved hearing Estranged, Nice Boys, Used to Love Her, hell even Whole Lotta Rosie.  Didn't get to hear Civil War, TWAT, CITR.  Would love to hear them.  Would also love to hear other rarely played CD songs, Dead Flowers, and (close your eyes Metallex) The Seeker.

There are still plenty of reasons to see the band live in my opinion, despite the growing frustration of them running in place.

Hmm... I completely disagree here. I think if it was the actual artists who wrote those songs, i.e. the AFD or UYI GN'R playing them and recycling them on a reunion tour, I would agree with you.

But for a cover band, I just don't see that attribute as something i'm willing to pay for any longer as a fan, short of a cheap PPV or officially released live show. But to drop $100 bucks PER SEAT on it... come the fuck on. Are you serious? Whatever dope you're on, mail me some.

There is no way that makes sense. If it does for you... wow. Cycling out UYI songs with this band and a helium powerless Axl (most of the time) is just not worth it financially. Not at these prices. But if they want to drop a single, and work a few into the set off a new album... I would also agree with you.

So...

More songs w/ reunion = thumbs up
More songs w/ a few new songs = thumbs up
The shit we got now = utterly worthless, even to those who haven't heard them live

It just doesn't make sense to me. "I haven't heard them live", then YouTube that shit and save yourself the money. But remember this is coming from someone who's seen a few different shows and versions of the new Guns, so unless you absolutely have NOT seen Guns since 1993, seeing them in this form just seems... I don't get it.

As a band you exist for a REASON. PERIOD. Or you go the fuck home. Finding NEW COVERS is not a reason. Why that logic seems to not be a big deal to some is a HUGE deal for me. I really don't get that logic at all.

For example,

How can Axl Rose call himself a Neil Young fan and yet he conducts himself is the pussy conformist way he performs?

That I don't get. If Axl was a true Neil fan, he'd go out there, open with Coma, then do a guitar solo himself to intro Dead Horse, then another to do Madagascar, then perform the next album from front to back (like 14 songs), and encore with Nightrain, Jungle, and Paradise City and tell everyone that nay says it to "suck his fucking dick".

I thought that was who Axl Rose was back in the day... boy I was WAY FUCKING WRONG. But the good news is is there's still hope. Axl can change his routine literally tomorrow. He's still got it, and the world still loves him. He's got a strong band, and a great fanbase. All he has to do is snap his fingers and it's done. THAT is why I hang around. He can change that. He can greenlight a reunion if he wanted. He holds that power, and he's still young enough to do it, and make great new music and people like it.

But without that, I don't see much point for him to even leave his house. So he's played Jungle across the world a bunch of times. It's done we get it... what else 'ya got?

I am quite serious.  I like all forms of GNR.  Past, present, and ahem future (hey you never know).  I love GNR's music.  I loved seeing Slash, Duff, Steven, Matt, and Myles play GNR tunes at the Rock Hall ceremony.  I loved seeing the 02, 06, and 11 lineups.  I will love seeing anything GNR related in the future.  I don't see why that's such a crazy notion.  Like I said before, they are playing SOME songs now that they weren't playing the last time I saw them.  I don't care if Slash is playing guitar, DJ, Buckethead, the guy from Steel Panther.  It's all good to me.

You are free to feel otherwise, and obviously you do.  I would love to see the current lineup create and release music of their own and get out there and play it live.  Absolutely.  But I'm simply not at the point of throwing my hands up and saying "I've had enough".  Sorry, that's just the way I see things.

Board footer