You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs Led Zeppelin

Son of a Gun wrote:
-D- wrote:

Slash would being gracious, but please.

Its the same ole, people grew up being told this is great and just kinda became so...

no one wants to say the Beatles Suck or Rolling Stones suck or Led Zeppelin sucks out of fear of ridicule so everyone agrees.........

Id much rather listen to Slash anyday of the week... His guitar work is hookier, Solos are sing a longable

Please, Achilles Last Stand pisses on everything Slash has ever done have you actually heard the tune ?

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 54%
Led Zeppelin 46%
Total votes: 24
Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The Stairway solo is better than anything Slash has done.

Absolutely NOT. Also Stairway to Heaven is the most overrated song ever. It's beyond boring.

For my ears Slash has created a shit ton of music I LOVE while Zeppelin has created barely anything I like. None of Page's riffs, solos or hooks do anything for me. To be fair most guitar players don't do much for me. Slash is special that way. I'm not a guitar guy, I don't care about wicked solos or amazing riffs . It's not what catches my ear but Slash changes that. He's the one guy that makes me want to hear  a  guitar solo.  he's the one guy that makes me feel the guitar and I'm conscious that it's a guitar. It's a different kind of appreciation than how I appreciate someone like The Edge. The Edge creates amazing worlds, Slash takes me on thrilling rides.

As for the singers,  Axl's vocals and Lyrics are far superior to Plants in my opinion. Plant seems to sound the same in everything to me and I'm sorry his voice is distinct but to me nothing special.  Axl's voice conveys so much emotion and has the ability to make you feel pissed right off and feel happy all in the same song. Plant to me just sounds like a singer in a band.  He could never take you through the gauntlet of emotions the way Axl can on songs like Coma, Estranged, Locomotive, Rocket Queen, SCOM etc etc etc.

Also trump card: Guns created the best rock album ever in my opinion where as Zeppelin wouldn't even have 1 album in my top 100.

Obviously it's matter of taste and I recognize the impact and influence Zeppelin has had on rock music. Doesn't mean I have to like them. They really do nothing for me.

johndivney wrote:
-D- wrote:

Slash would being gracious, but please.

Its the same ole, people grew up being told this is great and just kinda became so...

no one wants to say the Beatles Suck or Rolling Stones suck or Led Zeppelin sucks out of fear of ridicule so everyone agrees.........

this is an absolutely asinine & ridiculous idea.
what are YOU gonna do when someone younger than you comes along and says Slash or Richie Samboa suck? are you gonna congratulate them on not being afraid of being ridiculed?!
just because something is more relevant to YOU doesn't mean other things suck. you could try & appreciate what other people see in those artists.

& no one says they suck cause they're all fucking great.

re: Page vs Slash
Page was obviously technically better, perhaps the greatest white rock guitarist ever.
but i too prefer Slashs emotive playing.
Slash has the advantage as he got to translate Axl's turmoil & GnR's story into music. i don't thin Zep ever really got close to true blues/depression & anger of GnR's worldview, or when they did they went out of their way to disguise it somewhat. in that regard i find it much easier to relate to Slash's playing whereas w/Jimmy it's more straightforward badass rock n roll. that of course is a broad comparison, track by track w/both artists i'm sure there's overlap in my argument but by & large i do tend to prefer Slashs tone & style even tho it's plain Jimmy was more dexterous (& maybe even ambitious) in his playing.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's a tie on guitar...Slash is a much better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

Please... madagas declared that I'm the biggest fanboy on this board, but even I don't believe that Slash would be better than Page. Page wins, sorry. Slash grew a lot as a player in the recent year, but Jimmy was an innovator, while Slash was only the leader of a renessaince. Maybe Slash's solos are better, but Page's strange chords, original chord progressions and appreggios beat the shit out of GN'R's. Slash needs a second guitarp layer. Jimmy doesn't. As a fanboy I'd place Slash higher than even Jimi Hendrix, but Page? No.

On the other hand Plant beats Axl. JPJ beats Duff. Bonzo beats Steven and Matt combined. Led Zeppelin had the better musicians.

Agree with all of this. I love Slash's work, but he had a great guitarist in Izzy helping him. The two of them were magic together. Page was doing all of the guitar work for Zeppelin on his own and he did an incredible job with it.

I think the only area where GN'R might beat Zeppelin is Axl's dancing on stage. Plant didn't move around much on stage while Axl obviously had the iconic snake dance. Vocally I would give the edge to Plant.

Bonzo is the greatest rock drummer ever and shits all over the GN'R drummers. JPJ was not only a great bassist, but also a helluva organ/keyboard player. Guns had to go hire Dizzy fucking Reed to do much weaker work than JPJ did for Zeppelin.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Robert's voice actually aged better than Axl's, too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Jimmy has no emotion in his playing?? Or Slash has more???

Come on, now. cool

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

It did, which is funny since Robert blew out his voice very early in his career. His live voice was much weaker by say 1972-1973 compared to where it was in 1969-1970. But he has taken pretty good care of it since then and he respects his limitations. Axl still thinks it's 1988 and it is just really sad to watch at this point. For a guy who had that awesome rasp and amazing range it is very sad to see the Mickey Mouse voice so often these days.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Who cares. Again why do people make it so technical and complicated? I can guarantee you the poll isn't asking who's better between today's Guns and today's Zeppelin because nobody cares. Certainly nobody cares about "nuGn'R" in regards to these types of polls and debates. It's clearly about who was better  or who you liked better when they were relevant and actually producing albums.

If we are in fact talking about the geriatric versions of the bands well then hate to say it most peopel's voices have aged better than Axl's.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Bought that zeppelin thank you greatest package and can't sit through it.

Plant annoys me.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

Jimmy has no emotion in his playing?? Or Slash has more???

Come on, now. cool

Dont compare to estranged

Board footer