You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I would love nothing more than to Hamill & Ford, like aged and older sci-fi world Riggs & Murtaugh kicking ass.

Fisher... meh.

That's exactly what I  don't want. I have no desire to see 70 year od Harrisn Ford "kicking ass". I'd love to have them in the movie as elder statesmen type of people. Hamill maybe a bit different because Luke is a  Jedi Master but I don't need to see Harrison Ford running with Chewie like the good old days. I'd perfer the central theme of the movies not revolve around the old characters. Have them play integral parts but not the main focus and not the action heros of the movie. To me that'd just be a massive joke. I don' want ti to be a nostalgia rip. I want these movies to kick ass the way the Nolan Batman movies did. They better take this shit seriously.  Fisher needs to be there in my opinion if Han Solo is even if just to make a cameo. Unless they plan on ignoring Leia all together and ignorng what all Star Wars fans know,  that Leia and Han are married with kids, which if they did that would be ridiculous.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Whoa whoa, that's what I meant. I want them STILL kicking ass... but I want it to be a torch-passing deal.

I want them as supporting characters. Think Bobby & J.R. in the new Dallas. There, but NOT the stars of the show anymore. That kinda thing for Hamill & Ford.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Whoa whoa, that's what I meant. I want them STILL kicking ass... but I want it to be a torch-passing deal.

I want them as supporting characters. Think Bobby & J.R. in the new Dallas. There, but NOT the stars of the show anymore. That kinda thing for Hamill & Ford.

Yeah ok. The new Dallas is a much better comparison. Riggs & Murtaugh  were the main characters so when you said that I thought "No no no..no No no"  16  Totally on the same page with ya then in terms of it being a  torch passing type thing. I mean if they cast t right and come up with  great long term story line they could easily make 6 more of these(assuming the next 3 are successfull and good)

I haven't seen the new Die Hard move and it might be good but at this point those movies are parodies of the original. Made for the nostalgia fator and nothing more. That's the last thing I want to see with the new Star Wars.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I will admit in some ways, it works with things like The Expendables, because A) Stallone & co. play up the fact they are fossils, and B) it's a bunch of old guys kicking the shit out of old guys.

So if you're into that, go for it.

The problem with things like Die Hard 5, or Conan III (which is supposed to be torch-passing), and sending out another Rambo with those guys in comparison to Star Wars is it's utterly ridiculous to see them, and believe they are doing this stuff at that age.

One thing I haven't seen is an actor willing to make fun of himself to make a point. I think that's a great concept. Think Hamill in the new Star Wars, and his force is rusty. So everytime he tries to do vintage Luke stuff, they play up to the audience an old cool move Luke did, and then just have his old ass bust his ass, every single time, and then lead up to a big finish where he actually accomplishes a throwback move as an old man in the role.

I think that's a great idea personally. It tricks the audience, and leaves you guessing, yet is realistic.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

http://populationgo.com/post/4359857628 … pisode-vii

Looks like Hamill is in negotiations and he wants most of the original cast back and he wants it to have a classic feel of the originals which I find worth noting.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I will admit in some ways, it works with things like The Expendables, because A) Stallone & co. play up the fact they are fossils, and B) it's a bunch of old guys kicking the shit out of old guys.

So if you're into that, go for it.

The problem with things like Die Hard 5, or Conan III (which is supposed to be torch-passing), and sending out another Rambo with those guys in comparison to Star Wars is it's utterly ridiculous to see them, and believe they are doing this stuff at that age.

One thing I haven't seen is an actor willing to make fun of himself to make a point. I think that's a great concept. Think Hamill in the new Star Wars, and his force is rusty. So everytime he tries to do vintage Luke stuff, they play up to the audience an old cool move Luke did, and then just have his old ass bust his ass, every single time, and then lead up to a big finish where he actually accomplishes a throwback move as an old man in the role.

I think that's a great idea personally. It tricks the audience, and leaves you guessing, yet is realistic.

Wow! We are so not on the same page whatsoever 16 There's no way in hell I want to see Jedi Master Luke Skywalker providing me with geriatric Indiana Jones type comic relief. I don't need to see a rusty Jedi master struggling to find his form when it comes to the ways of the force only to have it be there when he needs it most. He's not Schmendrick the magician. The idea of Luke being frustrated at his inability to fully harness the force would just be silly in my opinion

Luke to me should be more like Yoda was in Empire. Yoda was never rusty. Luke could play the role of bumbling fool as Yoda did when we first meet him in Empire but always be in full control of the force. Luke could use his age and unassuming appearance to manipulate and trick people but please don't give me a guy who's struggling to find his way. It would be a total joke in my opinion

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

But what you're suggesting has Luke as a 'serious' character, which he really never ever was.

Hamill always played it campy. To me it'd be right in line with the original style he had. Abrams has already suggested it's going in that new Dallas direction. A revival of the original franchise, just many many years into the future.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

But what you're suggesting has Luke as a 'serious' character, which he really never ever was.

Hamill always played it campy. To me it'd be right in line with the original style he had. Abrams has already suggested it's going in that new Dallas direction. A revival of the original franchise, just many many years into the future.

He wasn't campy at all. He wasn't any sort of comedic relief. His character was a serious character or a young boy who lost his aunt and uncle and had no other choice but to go with Ben. In fact Luke is the most serious character in the franchise. Han was the campy womanizer kinda comedic guy but that was his character. he was a smug, half witted scruffy looking nerf herder. Leave the camp and one liners to Han not Luke. Luke in his old age should be more like Yoda not Jar Jar

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I wouldn't disagree with that, that Han should be given the most comic relief. He was the "funny" one.

I still think Hamill's serious performance was a bit over the top in an Adam West-Batman sort of way, if you want to term that 'serious'.

I just think if Hamill goes into Star Wars VII and plays like he did picking up after Jedi, it's gonna be ridiculous in the modern day. But if he goes in there and plays it too serious, like some sort of nihilistic, ready to die Connor MacLeod in Highlander: Endgame "Life and death" sort of deal... it's gonna be just as ridiculous for the exact opposite reason.

I'd be willing to deal with Yoda-Luke, but that's a weird vibe thinking of old Luke, plus I question whether Hamill has the chops to pull it off. Hamill, other than The Joker, never wowed me outside of the original trilogy, and even then I thought Ford was the real star. If Hamill plays Luke like the new Yoda, he's gonna have to bring his A game, because automatically by default it will make him the heart and soul of the new franchise, and he's gonna have to lead it.

Kind of like anytime you see J.R. Ewing on screen in the new Dallas. He's not the star, but he kinda sorta is. His lead, even as a supporting player is everything to the series (which I have no clue how they'll handle now without him, his final scenes aired Monday). Hamill as Luke will have to have that sort of prescence--AT LEAST--if not more so, regardless of whatever young buck they get to be the new star.

I'd have to be a resurrection-career move on the part of Hamill at his age. Kind of like how Donald Pleasence became the heart and soul of the Halloween franchise, despite not being on-screen in his later years. Pleasence was a helluva an actor though.

I just am having a hard time wrapping my mind around an older Hamill kinda bringing a tour-de-force acting job to the role when he's frankly been DOA as a live actor for decades since Jedi, and when he was on Jedi, he was basically playing "a kid who now has the force".

Bono

Bono wrote:

He doesn't have to do anything but play the role how he did. He IS Luke Skywalker and 99.9% of people on this earth don't know him as anything but.  All he's gotta do is play the role the way he did but with a tad more elder statesman to it and a bit less young punk impatience. He's got to have some words of wisdom scenes ala Yoda. And I don't need to see Luke physically kicking ass the way Yoda did in the prequels(which was one of the worst aspects of the prequesl in my opinion and completely devalued Yoda's character). Luke's force presence should just be embodiment not swashbuckling action. Luke is argueably the most powerful Jedi ever so you just can't have a character that's struggling to get back into game shape. When you said campy I immediately thought Adam West as Batman and no that is the furthest thing from my mind when I thin of how Hamill played the role. He may have been a bit over the top but it wasn't done in an attempt to be campy or funny the way West payed Batman.

We'll have to agree to disgaree on this direction 16

Board footer