You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah fall to pieces with good Axl lyrics would be a whole different song...and much better.....you can hear the GNR heritage in it...but the VR version is under developed.

I know it's a favourite of many slash fans...but actually not one of mine. Like "prostitute" to me it has that unfinished sort of "almost" feel about it.

Basically there's a shit ton of slash rock songs that would be GNR music if Axl had still been into rock..pretty much all of 5'Oclock Somewhere is jammed with Illusion rocker style slash playing and solo....that whole album would be amazing with Axl's touch. Like wise there's a bunch of more modern Slash songs that also could use him - By The Sword, Anastasia....

Likewise...on Axl's album...Street of Dreams, If the World, There was a Time, Madagascar, This I love and Prostitute would all be on an entirely different level musically with one of Slash's emotional solos added.

But hey....they're talented enough that each sounds good even without the other....but in the parallel dimension where they don't break up there must be some mother fucking awesome GNR records...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Thanks for the Robin vid russ...it's late here so I can't play it till morning for sound control issues but I'll check it out then...appreciate the effort.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

How can you compare a fifty year old rocker with a manufactured group of young hot women, whose songs and images are a result of maketing professionals geared to the pop market, like boy bands. That is a terrible comparison.

I never compared Axl to the Spice Girls, I pointed out that there is plenty of evidence to back up what Bono is saying about developing globally consumable musical product with little personal talent. The Spice Girls are an example – not great singers, no songwriting credits, open users of autotune in studio - yet globally famous “recording artists”. 

How many songs did Gary Sunshine write for CD? As far as I'm aware, his main contribution was being Axl's guitar teacher and played on Oh My God. By "all accounts" the songs were written by the band and Paul Huge.

You’re right here, someone who has “writing cred” was brought in and pronounced that after 10 years  Axl had 3 good songs in CD. That apparently set him back a long way. Who was that?

The only songs on CD that sound like they came from UYI III are The Blues and TIL.

Then we just agree to disagree, Prostitute, Catcher etc are just Axl piano songs with very similar structures to old UYI piano tunes with different, more modern bells and whistles on them. As I said, they have been given the “modern treatment” but underneath they are no different really.

And the main point is this: Slash could not have poured more emotion into the songs on CD because they wouldn't have existed without the players on CD.

To me this point is kind of meaningless, nobody can pour anything into anything when they were not there. I am willing to bet that if you handed Slash all of Axl’s piano songs from CD and let him loose on them, the majority of us would be jizzing ourselves with the results. In fact, I bet he'd make a good go of anything on CD. Nothing guitar-wise on that album sits in a different realm to anything he has done. Sure, you might have to kick his ass and make him use effects pedals etc but if he's capable of giving me a sound like the start of "Watch This" he's able to deliver on anything CD ever had.

CD was worth it to ME. As a fan of the album, I love what's there.

That’s cool but to those who millions who failed to show up for CD, it wasn’t worth it. In fairness, many do love it but the majority of old fans…no.

I have a lot of what ifs, but it's totally meaningless…..What good does that do? Take it for what it is, if you don't like it move on from it.

I have, long ago. But this is a forum, a place to shoot the shit. Just throwing stuff out there in the spirit of a forum.

I will always be interested in what Axl does. I think he's blown several opportunities to make great music with specific people. But he's still responsible for some of my favorite songs, from AFD to CD, so I'll never count him out, even if I'm not thrilled about the players surrounding him.

Here we are 100% in agreement.

Robin isn't coming back

HOORAY!

Just like Slash isn't.

BOO!

johndivney wrote:
Bono wrote:
johndivney wrote:

fwiw
it never crossed my mind either that this should be in the old members section. it just seemed a natural enough place to discuss it, probably given the dearth of actual GnR news.
& in fact i'd say if the debate about Slash re-joining came up i'd prefer to see it in the main section too.
the discussions obv do belong in this section but it's really nitpicking & pedantic to get it moved, especially relatively soon after the debate was sparked. & more than that it's worrisome some use it as an excuse to bait others by alluding to shit that doesn't even exist except in the minds of those trying to troll a bit. so what we discussed robin possibly re-joining, people see it as some kind of agenda? fucking hell. some of you need to step away from the keyboard sometimes.. like, how fucking important is it to your life that a thread is in the wrong section of a message board? get a fucking grip, y'know? god forbid some accidentally posts about a film or tv show in the sports section!! bono's head might explode!

Holy fuck dude are you serious. You honestly think my main objective was to have the thread moved because it was burning my ass so much that it was in the wrong section? Unreal. I seriously do question the intelligence level of people somtimes. Did you not see my comment about how I don't really care where this thread was because it's all Guns N' Roses to me. My point wasn't about where this thread was. That was such a minor detail of the post I made making a bigger point. Do I actually care where this thread is located? Fuck no. I'm not even gonna explain it to you. Go back and read it and figure it out yourself. Honestly dude pull your head out and at least TRY to grasp what was being said.

u & ur double talkin jive

Bono wrote:

Just based out of curiosity shouldn't this thread be in the ex gunners thread. I mean let's be honest if someone had started a Bring Back Slash thread they'd be told to fuck off, the thread would be moved or locked and the person who started it would be accused of trolling and hating the new band.

I guess I'm just seeing some real inconsistencys here and to be honest I do find it annoying that it's perfectly acceptable to discuss bringing Robin back but the idea of classic GnR memebers returning is relegated to another thread and anyone who likes the iea of Slsh returning is living in the past. I guess it's the principle of it all. 

I have to think I'm not the only one who has noticed this and is scratching their head a bit.

i'm seeing real inconsistencies here - on one hand you're trying to get a rise cause the thread is in the wrong place on the other you're trying to excuse that idea as a means of flaming some imaginary reunion/negativity BS.
i think you're just bored. but it's shitty it when comes to this level of crap-slinging..

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

I don't really think this is news as such – I mean, there's nothing to indicate Robin is even considering rejoining. He hasn't been touring with NIN for the past few years, and we weren't talking about the possibility of him coming back then either.

Anyway, here's his most recent performance with GN'R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYXcZBYEfog

robin finck

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I always hated Robin's NR solo, but I really liked what he did with Patience.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

What has Robin done in the past few years? People picture him as a creative force, but I'm afraid that lately his biggest creative effort was painting his house. If he did, anyway. His output is very tiny.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Mikkamakka wrote:

What has Robin done in the past few years? People picture him as a creative force, but I'm afraid that lately his biggest creative effort was painting his house. If he did, anyway. His output is very tiny.

He's not exactly prolific. Just discovered he did this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzLmoamGV-0

Board footer