You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

apex-twin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

someone who has “writing cred” was brought in and pronounced that after 10 years  Axl had 3 good songs in CD. That apparently set him back a long way. Who was that?

Oh,

that was Bob Ezrin.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I never compared Axl to the Spice Girls, I pointed out that there is plenty of evidence to back up what Bono is saying about developing globally consumable musical product with little personal talent. The Spice Girls are an example – not great singers, no songwriting credits, open users of autotune in studio - yet globally famous “recording artists”. 

You’re right here, someone who has “writing cred” was brought in and pronounced that after 10 years  Axl had 3 good songs in CD. That apparently set him back a long way. Who was that?

To me this point is kind of meaningless, nobody can pour anything into anything when they were not there. I am willing to bet that if you handed Slash all of Axl’s piano songs from CD and let him loose on them, the majority of us would be jizzing ourselves with the results. In fact, I bet he'd make a good go of anything on CD. Nothing guitar-wise on that album sits in a different realm to anything he has done. Sure, you might have to kick his ass and make him use effects pedals etc but if he's capable of giving me a sound like the start of "Watch This" he's able to deliver on anything CD ever had.

That’s cool but to those who millions who failed to show up for CD, it wasn’t worth it. In fairness, many do love it but the majority of old fans…no.

You have to have some measure of talent to become as big as the Spice Girls and N'sync... And no, not everyone given what Axl had could make a hit record. That's still one of THE most difficult things to do. Making one hit song is VERY hard. But that doesn't measure talent. If anyone here can make a song better than IRS, do it. Why would it take you millions and ten years? Do it. SO no, I disagree with you here.

Old Bob Ezrin (fantastic producer, btw) likes having song credits on the albums he produces and he wasn't getting that and DIDN'T get that from GN'R. NO wirting cred on CD. I don't know the last hit song Bob Ezrin was even involved with, tbh. And after Bob Ezrin's work with Janes Addiction, saying this STRAYS should be what they should sound like... I'm not taking his points seriously.

I'm just going on Slash's recent work on his solo albums, and this is my opinion with my tastes, but he would not mesh well with anything on CD outside of TIL, The Blues and Catcher. I think Sorry and ITW could be good cuts for him, but again, going on his recent output I don't think he would be better on it than Buckethead, or the right fit.

The millions of fans not showing up can be said about A LOT of albums. A lot of GREAT albums.

intercourse wrote:

Robin isn't coming back

HOORAY!

Just like Slash isn't.

BOO!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Slash absolutely could have been killer on TWaT.  I see TWaT as being very similar to Estranged in structure (especially with Robin's playing over the verses) until the end where it takes on more of a NR structure.  No way Slash couldn't have killed that in his own way.  It certainly would have been different, but still killer.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm just torn there. TWAT is perfect the way it is and Slash's work would be different... and I'm just not confident that it would be something that would fit him RIGHT NOW in his career and his style.

I know he didnt' like Estranged and its been said Axl actually had to pay him to play on it, and he went on to create my favorite GN'R song with that guitar work... 91-93 Slash, I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't do that now considering his current style; not saying its bad, or that a Slash TWAT solo would be bad, I just can't say it would be an upgrade or a fit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Madagascar cries out for a Slash solo. Add in something like he did for Elan's "Street Child" and the solo would be as inspiring and uplifting as Axl's lyrics....the bucket solo that's there is a non-event to me.

Catcher and TWAT would be just like Estranged, November Rain and Breakdown are.

ITW and SOD would sound something like Don't Cry i'd guess....

Slash's playing is better now than ever before...crazy to think that he couldn't make those tracks into classic UYI era stuff....probably even better - because he's a lot better guitarist now than he was then.

misterID

misterID wrote:

But we're talking about fit. Just ignoring the fact these songs wouldn't exist with Slash in the band and there's a chance he wouldn't want to play on them, I don't see it meshing on the level that it would be better than what's there.

If someone can show me a song off his last two solo albums that are the level of TWAT, or would be similar, I'd like to hear it. I'm being serious here.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Ummm....

Axl writes the ballads, like Novermber Rain, Slash adds the emotional solos.

Slash writes the guitar songs like Civil War, Axl adds the killer vocals.

So...surprise....when they work separately....Axl doesn't have rockers on the level of Slash's rockers, and Slash doesn't have ballads on the level of Axl's ballads....

I seriously can't believe anyone doubts this? You think "By the Sword" wouldn't be better with Axl's words too? Come on....they're two sides of the same coin.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'm just torn there. TWAT is perfect the way it is and Slash's work would be different... and I'm just not confident that it would be something that would fit him RIGHT NOW in his career and his style.

I know he didnt' like Estranged and its been said Axl actually had to pay him to play on it, and he went on to create my favorite GN'R song with that guitar work... 91-93 Slash, I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't do that now considering his current style; not saying its bad, or that a Slash TWAT solo would be bad, I just can't say it would be an upgrade or a fit.

Don't get me wrong - I love the song the way it is...even Robin's part.  I don't want to change it, but to say Slash couldn't play something as epic is just silly since he's done it.  You can argue if he wanted to do it or whatever, but he did it and it was a monster.  Messages proved he can still deliver that type of work when it's there for him to work on, so it's not like he hasn't done it since either.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

But we're talking about fit. Just ignoring the fact these songs wouldn't exist with Slash in the band and there's a chance he wouldn't want to play on them, I don't see it meshing on the level that it would be better than what's there.

If someone can show me a song off his last two solo albums that are the level of TWAT, or would be similar, I'd like to hear it. I'm being serious here.

That's not fair either.  I would say show me a song on CD that rocks as hard as Slither and you couldn't do it.  The guys had different strengths, so to knock a guy for not writing something at the level of TWaT by himself when he's never shown the desire to do so is crazy just as it's crazy to expect Axl to come up with a killer rock song by himself.  That isn't in their DNA.  Axl would make a whole album of Elton John/Queen/Paul McCartney piano epics if someone would let him, and I bet most of the hardcores like us would love it.  If he put out an album of all rockers, I'm not sure I'd be interested.  That just isn't what he does.  I don't think I'd want an album of Slash piano ballads either...

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Or I could have just quoted monkey's post had I read it before typing mine...

monkeychow wrote:

Ummm....

Axl writes the ballads, like Novermber Rain, Slash adds the emotional solos.

Slash writes the guitar songs like Civil War, Axl adds the killer vocals.

So...surprise....when they work separately....Axl doesn't have rockers on the level of Slash's rockers, and Slash doesn't have ballads on the level of Axl's ballads....

I seriously can't believe anyone doubts this? You think "By the Sword" wouldn't be better with Axl's words too? Come on....they're two sides of the same coin.

Board footer