You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Ron says 'Just Forget About A New Record Until It Happens'

misterID wrote:

I've said this before, but I like what's on CD. And the cut and paste didn't have much to do with songwriting, that came afterwards. And I'm pretty sure, maybe someone can clear this up, Axl wanted bits of guitar parts and stuff to see if he gelled with it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

YEah I'm not saying Axl doesn't want any guitar.

I'm just saying Ron writing stuff alone inherently leads to entire-guitar based tracks which Axl doesn't seem to prefer. While Ron writing in a room with other people allows him to suggest song structures, melody and tune ideas that come from his head but might be better on another instrument, and so on.

Not to mention that many people's creativity is sparked by interaction. Like the story of how PC was written...someone does something...someone else adds another line.

Doing stuff the Chinese Democracy way can be cool too and lead to really interesting results, but I'm just saying it's not unreasonable for Ron to think it's a good idea for the crew to meet up and jam out some ideas together...it's actually way more likely to be productive towards getting a finished song than doing things in small snippets.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Good points Monkey. It makes sense. I would like for them to do something productive. The problem is getting axl to work with them and not just on stage.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

YEah I'm not saying Axl doesn't want any guitar.

I'm just saying Ron writing stuff alone inherently leads to entire-guitar based tracks which Axl doesn't seem to prefer. While Ron writing in a room with other people allows him to suggest song structures, melody and tune ideas that come from his head but might be better on another instrument, and so on.

Not to mention that many people's creativity is sparked by interaction. Like the story of how PC was written...someone does something...someone else adds another line.

Doing stuff the Chinese Democracy way can be cool too and lead to really interesting results, but I'm just saying it's not unreasonable for Ron to think it's a good idea for the crew to meet up and jam out some ideas together...it's actually way more likely to be productive towards getting a finished song than doing things in small snippets.

I know people don't want to believe him, but hasn't Dizzy mentioned working on new music as a band without Axl of course?  Maybe not with EVERYONE but Axl, but more than just one group member coming up with ideas on their own.  I see no reason why they can't jam together and create something to propose to Axl.  And I was under the assumption this had been done.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Also, Ron's a tried and true solo artist anyways. That stuff has its own style. Could be the whole allure of being in a band to him is actually working in a band dynamic. Otherwise, why wouldn't he just pump out more solo material?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Well I'm sure it would happen organically....like you're hanging out at rehearsal waiting for Axl to come....and there's a whole room of instruments...and you're a musician...how are you going to pass the time....

but doing it formally with a specific intent creates a problem....

Do you invite Axl? If so you're inviting the owner of GNR to come to a GNR writing session, seems a little presumptuous. Do you not invite Axl? If so now you're having secret/private meetings of GNR without the owner. Also awkward.

It's sort of Axl's call to make it happen, it's his band in the end, and his guys are obviously desperate to scratch their itch.

Now I'm not saying Axl has to do anything, but I do wonder exactly how many of the band members have been driven out by now finding a way to scratch it....I'd guess the inactivity/rejection of his riffs was a major issue with Slash, it's probably connected to Robin leaving too, and most likely Buckethead as well. I guess that is what it is. But it seems so avoidable from the outside.

misterID

misterID wrote:

From what I gather, DJ has worked on like 12 songs by himself and submitted them to Axl. Buckethead and Brain's songwriting, again, from what I gather, was just those two working in the studio. I'm not sure with the other guys. But it was always said Axl kept the studio open for the guys to come up with riffs and stuff, he'd come by after everyone left and listen to them, or had the DATS dropped at his house. Josh Freese came up with the music to the song Chinese Democracy on his own. Again, seeing how things go down with the other guys, why can't Ron write some music on his own and submit them to Axl ala DJ? Robin did it with guitars, Brain and Bucket did as well. I don't see Axl not wanting guitar-based songs at all. I think that's how the majority of the songs were started. Mother Goose came up with Madagascar through playing some French Horns with the synths, but he also works with guitars and bass. I forget how he came up with If The World, but I believe that was Mother Goose song, too.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but where are those 12 DJ songs? What happened to "Down by the Ocean" or whatever it was Izzy gave Axl? How is it bucket released 40 albums since being in GNR but wrote a whole of 3 songs on Chinese Democracy? For that matter how did slash and duff go submitting song ideas to Axl from 93 onward.

The "submit stuff to Axl" method doesn't actually work 95% of the time. .

And that's most likely because the pressure on Axl to finish a song alone like that is immense...in a few cases it probably triggers something -  and he works out how to make it into a Chinese Democracy song....but if it doesn't it joins the legions of songs sitting "unfinished" because they're just a riddle of partial ideas that Axl hasn't found the answer to, hell we know the titles of a bunch of them that we've never even heard.....

So sue Ron for maybe wanting the band to take a week out of their lives to be a band for once and avoid that problem!

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah... That's not what I was talking about 16

Nothing is stopping Ron from putting together some song ideas and sending them to Axl. If they haven't gotten into a room together to write in 5 years, something tells me that's not the best way to approach it.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

That's where we see things differently.

Old GNR put out 5 albums in as many years - and they're some of the best albums of all time.

Axl's new method got us 15 songs in as many years. I really like those songs. But the whole reason we're having this discussion is the band can't seem to function creativity...

Blaming ron for wanting to write in a certain method seems like a device to me to shift the blame from Axl when the entire band is under Axl's control...again there's almost no evidence that Ron writing any other way would have any impact at all...as it's not like we're listening to the songs DJ wrote with Axl.

Board footer