You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Bob Ezrin talks Axl and Chinese

buzzsaw wrote:

There's nothing White Album about CD.  CD is one person's vision, not 3 (or 4) individual visions like the White Album was.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

And the White Album is awesome. CD is not.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Mike Clink captured the GN'R sound perfectly to my ears, lots of space to hear all the instruments and vocals. To me, that guy is just as responsible for their trademark sound as the band is.

Would've been very interesting to see what he would've done with the production of CD...

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There's nothing White Album about CD.  CD is one person's vision, not 3 (or 4) individual visions like the White Album was.

Totally agreed. UYI =White, if anything.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

CD was awesome.

Mike Clink's production work on UYI left a lot to be desired.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

But he nailed Lies and AFD....  I think his production was maybe off to you because Axl only.  Axl was huge into the over produced sounds, and still is today...

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I'm kinda late to the party here, and I only skimmed a lot of the posts so if this has been touched on already sorry.

Thinking about this, a lot of what Ezrin is saying is damn close to what Rick Rubin said when he was turned away from producing what would become Libertad.  It's pretty telling that both sides of the GNR coin weren't willing to compromise even if it was in their best interest. 

I'll say exactly now what I said about Velvet Revolver then, just substitute the new name:  When a guy like Bob Ezrin tells you you need to do more writing, you need to do more writing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

But he nailed Lies and AFD....  I think his production was maybe off to you because Axl only.  Axl was huge into the over produced sounds, and still is today...

No, he just didn't fit that material. I agree, he was perfect on AFD and LIES, but they had a totally different sound than UYI.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I love the sound Mike Clink produced for UYI. The guitars still sound great, as do the vocals and drums.

But then, I discovered GnR with UYI, then went back to AFD and Lies, so maybe my opinion differs to most.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Plus keep in mind poor Mike Clink is generating that sound around a lot of requirements.

Slash and Izzy wanted it to be a straight up rock and roll band, so that's going to dictate a certain approach to your mix and sounds.

Meanwhile Axl was very interested in softer Elton John type stuff which would normally be produced pretty differently...not to mention the sound effects and so on.

I think it's an album of compromise for everyone.

Board footer