You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: May 24, 2013 - Rockalahoma, Pryor, OK

buzzsaw wrote:

New music didn't really solve anything before...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well depends on what you mean I guess.

I felt the release of CD bought the band a lot of good will with the fanbase for a while. Especially if you go back to the trunk interview/hammerstein era that was supposed to be the lead up to it before things went pear shaped again.

Also that release wasn't really new...between the leaks and the live shows there was only like "scrapped" and "this I love" or something that was actually much of a surprise by the time it happened.

I mean to an extent some people will never like a new line up - but I think that would be minimised by releasing music and playing a mostly hits set. Look at how AIC has adapted to a new era - a lot of people are like "there's no layne" but at the same time a lot of people are happy enough. But if they did nothing but play hits then release an album that's 10 years old the reaction would be different I think.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Ok let me rephrase that

RELEASE NEW MUSIC AND PROMOTE IT AND WORK IT PROPERLY

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I think that's what it needs like oxygen for the fire.

For example - even a reunion gig tonight - what would be achieved - like Axl's been playing AFD every gig for 13 years now - Slash added back the AFD songs into his set about 3 years ago and has worked the hell out of them too.

While there would be an old school magic to seeing them together, I don't think it would have the punch it would have had if VR had stayed together only ever doing 2 GNR traks and if Axl had remained a recluse.

So at this stage I don't think it's even so much line up related as it's just the need for something fresher.

Then again - that's probably just us hardcores - I imagine a new song if played tonight for most punters would be like "wtf is this? A B side from UYI? Don't remember it"

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Nobody cares about new music but the hardcores, and half of them don't care either.  I thought dream world would have ended when CD had the limited success it did and everything went back to same old same old right away, but some of you never learn.  Promoting it isn't going to help.  People knew CD came out.  It went to the $1.99 bin.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Regardless...it's difficult to sustain any act without new music Buzz...even the acts that mostly tour on their classic status now - such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Ac/Dc occasionally release a new track or album or something.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i think most agree with you buzz, that new studio music wouldn't change the status of gnr's popularity but gnr has a pretty good size following, worthy of stregnthening. the fact that they are still able to tour decent size venues across a decent amount of the world with how things have gone since 2008 is testament to that. the band is kicking all kinds of ass. axl doesnt need to release new music to maintain his fan base and even stregnthen it. but it would certainly help if he did. otherwise or in addition to new music, he should take advantage of the band he has assembled and get his live act together as far as his singing goes, throw in a few new songs once in a while, cater the set list to avoid his vocal inadequecies if they remain, along with doing all the things, anyone who knows how the voice works understands that, he can't possibly be doing what he could be doing to sing better. be a professional live act or be an artist. people either love or hate him and the ones who love him can't seem to turn their backs on him completely. but a lot of us can't afford or justify affording to go see the same show every couple years with a declining performance of a frontman who alone represents the gnr legacy.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Anyone wanna quickly recap what happened to Russ for me? I don't feel like reading 18 pages of the "duke it out" thread

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:

Anyone wanna quickly recap what happened to Russ for me? I don't feel like reading 18 pages of the "duke it out" thread

Bono (who had been banned previously) found he was able to still log into the chat room.

This lead to a reopening of the discussion months back on the pros/cons of Bono's banning.

Shortly after Russ resigned as admin.

It's not really clear if this was because he was offended with people in the chat critiquing his moderation (myself and some others - although he had plenty of supporters too), or if it's because he had a disagreement with other members of staff more broadly (it's not the first time he'd left after all), or for some other reason entirely.

Upon leaving he asked will to remove all his posts and he also deleted some people from here from facebook.

Discussion over his possible motivations for leaving then got somewhat circular after it was insinuated that myself and some others had done something to him behind the scenes. I maintained that while he may have very valid reasons to dislike me and/or leave from things I said in public, there was no such action behind the scenes. The conversation then went in circles from as I kept asking anyone suggesting I did something behind the scenes to say what it was I'm accused of...but I kept getting responses along the lines of "you know what you did" - which of course would make me ask again.

Eventually it pissed everyone else off to the extent that we were asked to drop it.

In short...it's probable russ is hurt about the bono incident or some other aspect of general management, but he didn't explicitly state why he left when he left, and he's welcome to return as far as I know, but I gather he doesn't want to at the moment.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Buzzsaw was doing his best Axl by not actually stating what Monkey (Slash)  did.

Board footer