You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: May 24, 2013 - Rockalahoma, Pryor, OK

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Let the negativity begin!! I want to hear it but disappointed a bit at the same ole shitness of the set list

Honestly, we shouldn't be surprised or expect anything different at this point.  If you expected massive changes, shame on you (not your personally, just anyone who fits into that category).  It's clear we're in a holding state and things won't change until there's something new to promote.  Hopefully, with the abbreviated number of dates they're playing this time around signals that they're ready to focus on the next move.  Dare I say it, new music.  We will see.

But the days of them debuting new songs years before they're officially released are long gone as far as I can tell.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

One final thought on all those negative comments posted on the Rocklahoma facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/rocklahoma

For the most part, they mean nothing.  I mean, you go to GNR's own facebook page and you see horrible things about Axl and the band posted there.  So I can't take anything they say seriously.

However, it clearly illustrates that people still hate Axl Rose and don't accept this lineup as GNR.  The hope was that getting out on the road, playing 3 hour shows, staring on time (for the most part), and overall proving yourselves as a functional band would ultimately win people over.  From those comments, it doesn't appear that has happened.  But on the other hand, there are always going to be people who just won't allow themselves to accept anything to do with Axl going forward and a bulk of them are the ones posting their thoughts on that page.  I have heard first hand accounts from my own personal life and from callers into Eddie Trunk's show where the band HAS won people over.  So while it's an uphill battle and probably a losing one at that, they have succeeded on some fronts.

It is what it is, we and they just have to accept that they are never going to be universally loved.  And for obvious reasons.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Neemo wrote:

he said they were looking to "switch things up and freshen things up a bit, and that it should be fun for everybody"

i dunno, reading my paraphrased quote again, maybe DJ meant they were gonna mix it up...like have songs from all albums...so maybe as fans we see mix it up but as a casual observer he meant they were gonna play stuff across whole catalogue...i know sounds like an excuse, but like faldor said they dont cater to us...more to the average joe buying tickets

that quailty of that video clip sucked 16 ...sounded like axl was his typical out-of-breath tour starter show self...im sure the rest of the band rocked but its hard to tell with a farting cellphone mic 14

i'm guessing they've played catcher a few times since nobody made a big deal of it being in the set

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I said a long time ago that the "regular" people would never accept this lineup.  Having seen them, I can say they are damn good, but it's missing the "vibe" or whatever you want to call it that Slash brings as much as Slash's shows are missing the charisma that Axl brings (regardless of whether he is in good voice).

Obviously I'm not a huge fan of the newer music and I don't mind reading the negative comments, but as soon as you spell Axl "Axel" I no longer care what you think.  I don't care how they normally spell that name in your country, learn how to spell the guy's name when you're ripping him.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I said a long time ago that the "regular" people would never accept this lineup.  Having seen them, I can say they are damn good, but it's missing the "vibe" or whatever you want to call it that Slash brings as much as Slash's shows are missing the charisma that Axl brings (regardless of whether he is in good voice).

I agree with you, they are a damn good band, and that's not gonna matter to regular festival goers, and its not gonna change, no matter what they do, I think that even with new music, the way music is consumed now, radio/tv/cable/internet whatever, the view of the regular guy wont change, unless Slash and Duff are up there with him on stage.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

But the days of them debuting new songs years before they're officially released are long gone as far as I can tell.

I agree.

Which is one of the reasons I sometimes question the "Axl wants to release new music but the label is against him" theory people give.

Not that I don't believe he gets into disputes with the label, but surely if the only hold up was the label he'd get back at them by performing new songs live. Sure we'd all boot them, like we did with Street of Dreams and Madagascar, but that wouldn't do that much harm. I think some of the issue must be that he just likes to work on things for a very long time before he considers them done - and/or that his role as CEO pretty much normally puts him in non-creative mode and so it's not very often he gets around to working on songs.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
jonesy wrote:

I agree with you, they are a damn good band, and that's not gonna matter to regular festival goers, and its not gonna change, no matter what they do, I think that even with new music, the way music is consumed now, radio/tv/cable/internet whatever, the view of the regular guy wont change, unless Slash and Duff are up there with him on stage.

I'm somewhere on the middle of that dispute. I think it's a cumulative problem.

On one hand - I think to the general public they want the classic Singer/Guitarist  combo - so to be called Rolling Stones you'd need Jagger and Richards, to be called Aerosmith you need Tyler/Perry and for that reason it would never be the "real" GNR without slash for a lot of people.

That said though, sometimes when you start over with your own crew you can still find decent success with the fan base if you put out lots of new music at a high quality in the same sort of style. Like Ozzy's career post Sabbath with Zakk.

To be honest I think a lot of the problems at recent gigs in the past few years is Axl's voice. It becomes the final strike. It's like:

Band is called GNR without Slash: strike 1

Audience hostile to axl already due to history of GNR/blaming axl for no reunion/ perception as a primadona  then he comes out late: Strike 2

Axl doesn't sound like the records or like what they expect: strike 3.

Obviously he's only human but I think if he came out in 2006 style shape and form vocally people would be more likely to tolerate no-slash - but no slash then you make people wait and you're not on your A game and people will call you on it.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Obviously he's only human but I think if he came out in 2006 style shape and form vocally people would be more likely to tolerate no-slash - but no slash then you make people wait and you're not on your A game and people will call you on it.

Yeah, that's the beef right there. The level he is at now overall seems a million miles away from 2006. Shame, I really enjoyed the 2006 performance, looks, and effort he put in.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Estranged

Patience (Part of)

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I didn't listen to the whole song, but Axl sounded fine on the beginning of Estranged.

Board footer