You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: House of Blues Houston, TX - May 28th 2013

monkeychow wrote:

Great posts.

I'm guilty of forking out top dollar to see them. But that's because to me Axl is a genius. I know these days a lot of people are fed up with the status quo so we forget. But that guy wrote (with others) some of the greatest rock songs ever, he held the stage in his prime like no one did, Angry Anderson often refers to him as "the crown prince of rock and roll" and to me that's true.

So while these days we know what will be in the setlist in advance, it's not the line up we grew up with and so on, and Axl's older and different....he's still Axl....and while he wants to perform I'd go see it. As to me the sad reality is that you never know in life. One day there will not be an Axl Rose. Hopefully that day is far off, but I lost my dad at 55, Axl is 51 you know...hopefully he'll live to 100 but you never know. So it's morbid but in rock terms to me it's like seeing Beethoven or Mozart or something - you'd go as many times to see someone with unusual ability while you can.

As for the new-guns. Well, for all his reputation and so on, I've always thought Axl is smart. I think it's sometimes tempered with emotion - like if he's upset enough he'll do something silly against his own internets, but the underlying smart is there. I think he'd know that at 51 he's not going to launch a brand new band and conquer the world. His legacy now will forever be as Guns N Roses - which is why in concert they focus on the hits but play a bit of CD too. Victory for Axl at this stage I think would just be having fun, and being able to earn enough with his band to not be forced into anything he doesn't want to do.

Why at this stage would he care? So the new band pulls 20,000 not 200,000, so Axl makes $10 million that year instead of $100 million? What does it matter if he's set for life, especially when he gets to a point where his natural age and psychical limitations would preclude him ever being able to be at his A game anyway - like at some stage it would become impossible to outpeform 28 year old him anyway. So why fight to constantly remake the wheel. At some point it seems logical to just do the best you can, do what you want to do, have fun, and do it your way and enjoy what's left of life.

My secret hope is that he might release new music, not to conquer the world, not because we want him to, not because some contract says he must, not because he needs to financially, but just because when it's all said and done the guy was also an artist with something else to say about the world. While not all of his songs were deep, many of them featured interesting and intricate perspectives....and that was from a guy in his 20s...I'd be curious to hear what that mind things of the world in his 50s...so i dream that oneday Axl may release more tracks just for the artistic sake of it....but that really depends on if he feels he has anything else to say, and what the cost to him of doing that is...in terms of stress and whatever else.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
Furbush wrote:
emcitymisfit wrote:

Axl's voice isn't nearly as bad live, and the crowd was very much into it. Well worth the 400 bucks I dropped on two tickets.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Really?

...and we wonder why the fucking guy isn't  motivated to change the set list or release new music. As long as people are still willing to shell out $200 a head to see the tribute act, why the fuck should he?

At this point, who knows how long he'll even be around to perform? And to see them on my birthday at an intimate venue (2000ish max) -- well worth it in my eyes. It's still a great show from a great band, with a tremendous legacy. People will always be willing to pay for that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah bottom line is it's a great night out.

I mean I revere the old band as much as anyone, and I love Slash's work and so on.

But if you take a step back from the politics...

I got front row, was like 1 metre away from Axl Rose at times. DJ and Bumble recognised me from the pre-show and handed me some Jaggermister from the stage. Band played some of my favourite songs of all time, and as a night out it's hard to fault in that sense.

I mean we all want new music, and not everyone wants this line up and so on, but on face value for what it is, it's killer fun too.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah bottom line is it's a great night out.

I mean I revere the old band as much as anyone, and I love Slash's work and so on.

But if you take a step back from the politics...

I got front row, was like 1 metre away from Axl Rose at times. DJ and Bumble recognised me from the pre-show and handed me some Jaggermister from the stage. Band played some of my favourite songs of all time, and as a night out it's hard to fault in that sense.

I mean we all want new music, and not everyone wants this line up and so on, but on face value for what it is, it's killer fun too.

and it's a great way to stay in shape.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Axl could have handled whole CD saga much better, spin it however you want but he fell flat on his face and he has no one to blame but himself.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

That's true, but his intention was clear. Make the best album you can.

The delays and mishaps had him ridiculed all around, which must've been a hard pill to swallow in the midst of working on the album. I mean, many people labeled it shite way before it was ever released (leaked). That's not exactly an encouraging setting.

The best case scenario would be for the new album to appear one day, without any warning like Bowie's The Next Day.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Let's say it was his intention in his better periods, when he felt the "Scraped" feel. But his working ethics still sucked time by time, and his working method made it even worse during the whole process. Axl is a lazy man, even when he wanna do something. When he loses the drive the situation becomes ...like what we've been having for years.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The delays and mishaps had him ridiculed all around, which must've been a hard pill to swallow in the midst of working on the album. I mean, many people labeled it shite way before it was ever released (leaked). That's not exactly an encouraging setting.

The best case scenario would be for the new album to appear one day, without any warning like Bowie's The Next Day.

He should have kept stable band behind him, he should have condensed 02 band to 6 member lineup Axl, Bucket, Richard, Tommy, Dizzy and Brain would be hell of a band and I`m sure with new album on horizon, fanbase would have been more receptive. Chinese Democracy should have been released in 2002 in this scenario, things would be much better now and we would have gotten at least 3 albums by 2013.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That's a pipe dream.  There's no way in the world that freak show from 2002 was ever going to be accepted as GnR.  That was over as soon as the VMAs happened.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's a pipe dream.  There's no way in the world that freak show from 2002 was ever going to be accepted as GnR.  That was over as soon as the VMAs happened.

2002 band was amazing they take massive shit on current incamation.

Board footer