You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Your Opinions on a Axl/Slash Reconciliation

metallex78 wrote:
jonesy wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I haven't heard enough good material from Slash since the break up to get excited by a reconciliation. A couple of songs here and there but there has been a lack of consistency for a long while.

I'm not trying to be an arse here, but the same could easily (if not more so) be said of Uncle Axl.

I dunno... to me, Slash is still playing great "Slash style" guitar rock, and Axl is still the master of UYI style epic ballads.
I think Axl singing on top of anything Slash has put out since leaving Guns would sound great, as would Slash playing on Axl's CD stuff.

The guys just go so well together, it's a damn shame we'll probably never hear any collaborations between them ever again.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Chinese Democracy > > > > > anything Slash has put out since his departure including Contraband.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Chinese Democracy > > > > > anything Slash has put out since his departure including Contraband.

Maybe you feel that way, but I don't think so.

CD does have some interesting guitar solos here and there, but as far as actual riffs go, Slash is still better at that than anything Axl's guitarists have ever composed for him.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Personally, I feel that Axl's great gift is for songwriting and melody – the lyrics on CD are so far ahead of anything Myles or Slash's solo album collaborators have put out, it's not even funny (with the possible exception of By The Sword). It's why I'm excited about Walking Papers – their lead singer can actually put words to paper in an interesting manner.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Maybe you feel that way, but I don't think so.

CD does have some interesting guitar solos here and there, but as far as actual riffs go, Slash is still better at that than anything Axl's guitarists have ever composed for him.

That`s what happens when Robin Finck is a lead guitarist. Had Buckethead been used properly, then we would see that being said,  there are some great riffs on Chinese, "Better" being prime example. I rate Finck higher than Ashba only for that song alone.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Personally, I feel that Axl's great gift is for songwriting and melody – the lyrics on CD are so far ahead of anything Myles or Slash's solo album collaborators have put out, it's not even funny (with the possible exception of By The Sword). It's why I'm excited about Walking Papers – their lead singer can actually put words to paper in an interesting manner.

You`re right he has great sense of melody and lyrics.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Had Buckethead been used properly......

Totally agree.....an utter waste if you ask me.  I am certain that if Bucket and Axl had really gelled, and spent time with just the two of them writing, I am sure there would have been some great stuff.  We can only hope that there's a gem or two in the vault, and that we actually get to hear it sometime.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah but what's bucket going to do in a rock band like GNR?

He writes in an avant garde style that rarely suits lyrics or classic rock structures.

Even amongst his own work of 40 whatever albums there's only a few tracks that I think could be adapted to GNR epics - something like soothsayer or nottingham lace, but even those would need some heavy mods to work with Axl.

All he can do is what he did - import the occasional bizzare structure change, a few kill-switchy riffs in places, and a couple of terrifying-to-try-and-play shred solos.

He's great but it doesn't suit the band IMO unless Axl wants to move entirely away from recording rock music which isn't what most people wish he'd do.

To me the solo works suggest new works would have been great. TIL or TWAT with Slash would be just like UYI, likewise Anastasia or By the Sword with Axl would be very GNR worthy imo.

Sad it doesn't happen. But if it's not going to - I think the best course of action is for Axl to write some songs with DJ and Co - while they're different to old GNR they do sound great together, and Slash can keep writing with myles and we get two great bands.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I dunno, maybe it is just me but I think Axl and Slash both need Izzy to even remotely create something magical again. Sure they might write an "epic" tune or two but for it ever to work again they need the middle man, the glue, the soul. Mr. Stradlin.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

^^^^^^^ was just gonna bring izzy up. to me, both buckethead and slash are better suited to add riffs and solos to pre-existing gnr songs. axl can't write guitar based songs.

slash, izzy, and axl equaled gnr magic

buckethead, izzy, and axl could have equaled new gnr magic.

Board footer