You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Axl Rose v Michael Monroe

misterID wrote:

Punk was a big part of GN'R, but they weren't a punk band, not even at their core. Slash and Izzy were pure traditional 70's; Stones, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, T-Rex (as Axlin said) hard rock guys. Duff was punk and you can hear it in his playing, that's where the Punk element came from and Axl's Sex Pistols obsession (something, if you look back at all his interviews, is something he frequently pointed at, Never Mind The Bullocks was an inspiration for AFD).  Steven was not a punk drummer. He had a groove that's absent in Punk.

They were a mixture of a lot of parts, but traditional 70's rock was pretty much a dominant core of that band.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Sam Yaffa (bass) seems to be in all bands being discussed here 14 He was in Hanoi, is in the NYD, and is on Monroe's new album.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Had a listen to UYI1, followed by TSI in the car tonight. Ain't It Fun with Axl N' Michael on vocals is one of the best rock covers ever recorded. Like, ever!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Ain't It Fun was an absolutely solid cover with total Guns attitude, but sadly got lost on a dead band at that point. The more the years have gone on, I play some of those TSI tracks beside some of the grunge hits of the time, and honestly despite them being covers... GN'R holds their own honestly.

It's really the best covers album in history, and GN'R probably doesn't get the credit it deserves by choosing songs that not alot of people were aware of, or just re-tooling to the point of of not knowing what it was. Since I Don't Have You was out of place, and being used as a lead single seemed to be either A) an Axl appeasement or B) a Geffen appeasement. New Rose is full balls Duff. Down On The Farm is one of their best covers of all fucking time, even if Axl should've just been Axl on it rather than the fake accent. Human Being might be one of the best songs they ever did. Ain't It Fun same thing. Hair of the Dog, straight-forward rocker, no fuss, no bullshit. Gotta love Duff an' Attitude. Black Leather is underated as hell, and although Tommy's cover of Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory is better, Duff's ain't bad if he would've toned down the campy voice.

I think it would've got even less respect, even if more attention, (as bad ass as it would've been), had it been loaded with covers of Bohemian Rhapsody, Sympathy For The Devil, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Dead Flowers, Sail Away Sweet Sister, and more recognizable songs.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Ain't It Fun was an absolutely solid cover with total Guns attitude, but sadly got lost on a dead band at that point. The more the years have gone on, I play some of those TSI tracks beside some of the grunge hits of the time, and honestly despite them being covers... GN'R holds their own honestly.

It's really the best covers album in history, and GN'R probably doesn't get the credit it deserves by choosing songs that not alot of people were aware of, or just re-tooling to the point of of not knowing what it was. Since I Don't Have You was out of place, and being used as a lead single seemed to be either A) an Axl appeasement or B) a Geffen appeasement. New Rose is full balls Duff. Down On The Farm is one of their best covers of all fucking time, even if Axl should've just been Axl on it rather than the fake accent. Human Being might be one of the best songs they ever did. Ain't It Fun same thing. Hair of the Dog, straight-forward rocker, no fuss, no bullshit. Gotta love Duff an' Attitude. Black Leather is underated as hell, and although Tommy's cover of Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory is better, Duff's ain't bad if he would've toned down the campy voice.

I think it would've got even less respect, even if more attention, (as bad ass as it would've been), had it been loaded with covers of Bohemian Rhapsody, Sympathy For The Devil, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Dead Flowers, Sail Away Sweet Sister, and more recognizable songs.

Agreed with everything you've written here! 5

I love TSI as it is, but he album could've been so much stronger, or better received if they included just "general influences" rather than only punk.

Shit, they could've included the excellent Only Women Bleed intro Slash played throughout the UYI tour into a full song, same with Wild Horses, and Sail Away Sweet Sister like you mentioned. Even Bad Time would've been excellent, as these were songs that anyone who'd seen GN'R live in 91-93 would recognise.

They could've even included Slash's Godfather Theme as a hidden track! 21

Board footer