You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: Donald Trump running for President

Rex wrote:

What he said makes complete sense. That climate change would lead to people fighting over water and land to grow crops. How is that stupid?

As for him being boring, look at some of his other videos. He's very passionate and knowledgeable about the things he talks about. He's got my vote.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Rex wrote:

I would really like to see the clip where Bernie Sanders says global warming leads to terrorism.

I looked it up, Axlin is referring to this: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … mate-chan/

So, while he did not say that climate change was responsible for ISIS (which is what you originally claimed, Axlin), he's clearly stating that there is a direct link between global warming and terrorism. I sincerely disagree with the narrative that he's pushing here and am very disappointed that he's not backing down from that statement. Yes, a point can be made that climate change and extreme weather events in poor countries are contributing factors to the rise of terrorism, but no way is it the most important. He's clearly overstating the link to get more support for his climate change plans, which of course takes away from other, more important causes of terrorism that absolutely need to be addressed.

Having said that, as far as foreign policy is concerned, he is the closest thing to a non-interventionist of the bunch after Paul (incidentally the only republican that I could see myself voting for), so I still think that Sanders is the best choice of the front runners when it comes to foreign policy. And if you're a non-interventionist, or a secularist (i.e. if you like Paul), and given Paul's inability to gain traction, I don't think there's a better alternative than Bernie.

Thanks for pointing it out though, I hadn't seen that clip before. It's a damn fucking shame he's really holding on to that position... 17

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting points AxlIn16.  I never bought Rubio, so your insight makes sense.. He's too scripted for me. The early debates I watched when I could (before getting bored of all 14 of em or whatever), he would be asked a question about something, lets say Obamacare.  He would then respond "Let me tell you something about Obamacare.... As my parents fled Cuba, they came here with nothing but a family members phone # to call when they arrived in America... They knew if you worked hard, you earned your stay, and you received what you deserved... etv etc etc.... I believe Americans want to work hard... Obamacare gives stuff to lazy Democrats for free." etc.  Same thing about National Security "Let me tell you about National Security... As my parents fled Cuba, they came here with nothing but a family members phone # to call when they arrived in America... They knew if you worked hard, you earned your stay, and you received what you deserved... etv etc etc.... I believe Americans want to work hard... And with that, we OWE it to our Armed Services to strongly support them, with our tax dollars" etc.  It's just too fake.

I did hope Rand Paul would put up a bigger fight. Ashame, I think he would do better in the General Election but I think the way the primaries work it didn't favor a middle-ish candidate like him.  I forgot about Ben Carson, he really fell. He should just drop out if he hasn't already but I guess he's just gonna do Iowa & myb NH for his donors sake.  I agree Jeb hates "hates" Trump lol.  I think Jebber thought he'd walk on thru this thing & only be concerned with who his VP would be, now the nomination doesn't look likely at all. Personally I don't "Hate" Christie, although that may be due to my regionalistic loyalty (the devil you know is better than the one you don't). I do think he's run a pretty haphazard campaign, just flailing at the wind & never got his wheels going from the start. I think he anticipated a bigger footprint when he first announced, as in him & Jeb would be the main 2 candidates. I thought so at least.  I guess Trump really effed up alot of this for these guys. Take out his % of votes & who knows where they all assimilate to, it'd be a completely different race. TBH I think Jeb would've benefitted the most & probably would have led pretty handily most of the way. Imho at least.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Rex wrote:

What he said makes complete sense. That climate change would lead to people fighting over water and land to grow crops. How is that stupid?

It's not stupid, but as an avid Bernie supporter I have to admit that he's blowing the link way out of proportion.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Thanks for pointing it out though, I hadn't seen that clip before. It's a damn fucking shame he's really holding on to that position... 17

I think in Politics, the mantra is: "Never back down".  Which is how he got it to this point, instead of backing off from his comments, or saying he misspoke, he just linked it & dug a bit of a further hole by making it a further stretch. Maybe the studies or past history shows it comes off better to say something dumb than to apologize or back down.

That's why these candidates are always asking for people to apologize or rescind their comments.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Rex wrote:

It's not stupid, but as an avid Bernie supporter I have to admit that he's blowing the link way out of proportion.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not like he said it's the leading cause of terrorism. He's just saying that down the line, shit like that will happen.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Trump is ALOT smarter than people give him credit for. He didn't get all those billions without being a good con artist. But he seems to be a genuine con artist. Take that for what its worth.

He's definitely a con artist, and I'm sure he has what one could generously call "street smarts". He's still a dumb-ass motherfucker in the ways that matter though, no way that he can bone up on all the foreign policy stuff, legislation, ... and be an effective president. Best case scenario, he'll be surrounded by great seasoned advisors and his presidency will be like all the others, worst case scenario he thinks he doesn't need them and does his own thing.

I'm with you on Carly, I cannot understand how such a pathological liar (about her track record, accomplishments, the planned parenthood thing, ...) ever got the light of day.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Carly is no threat.

It is between Trump, Cruz, and Rubio.

Rubio will pick up a lot of the Kasich, Carson, Carly, Jeb Voters.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Rex wrote:

I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not like he said it's the leading cause of terrorism. He's just saying that down the line, shit like that will happen.

I think it works out okay either way, 'cause he's all for not meddling in the middle east and letting the muslim countries take the lead in fighting ISIS. I'm sure a Sanders presidency will have a positive effect on terrorism because of that. And that should be his message, climate change is a different (and admittedly at least as important) topic, no need to conflate the two.

TheMole

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Carly is no threat.

It is between Trump, Cruz, and Rubio.

Rubio will pick up a lot of the Kasich, Carson, Carly, Jeb Voters.

Very likely, especially if the others drop out soon enough it could become a nice three-way fight.

Board footer