You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Official Statement coming from Guns camp tonight.

tejastech08 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Well I think the fact of it is, GnR are a pop band tbh.. They bring in Joe public. Not just hardcores, not just hard rock fans.
The last time I went to see them, 08 or 09, I was amazed at the people I knew from home who were at the gig. People I'd never associate with GnR in a million years - people who are there for the hits. Only one of my mates came to the gig with me, everyone else had dropped off somewhere around '06 - you all know how it is yourselves, how many hardcores dropped their interest & yet the band were still able to rope in the punters, the average joes who are just going to the gig & not invested in the personnel or the story behind the scenes.
Guns hit that popularity & sometimes I think it's hard for us to see or remember just what a phenomenal sorta band they are, that they can attract all these different types of people. Honestly, out of all the gigs I've been too I've never seen a crowd as varied as those I see at GnR gigs. They attract folks from all walks: families, old rockers, kids, punks, hard rockers

Somehow they stumbled onto the perfect combination of music and imagery that could appeal to everyone. Sex Pistols meets Aerosmith meets Rolling Stones meets AC/DC meets Lynyrd Skynyrd meets any of the best pop acts you want to choose. Plus you had a pretty unique sound despite the fact they were influenced by all these older bands. Slash/Izzy guitar sound was recognizable as hell and Axl's voice was one of a kind. Mix in that amazing groove from Duff/Steven and it was fucking special stuff.

Their talent overcame some of the negatives that usually would hurt popularity in general public such as Explicit Lyrics label on the album, bad reputation for drug abuse/sexism, etc. The fact Appetite sold 18 million and counting in the USA is absolutely incredible and it's even more amazing that the plug was almost pulled at only 200,000 units. It's a minor miracle they even survived long enough to finish Appetite and an even bigger miracle that they all survived after the amount of drugs/booze they consumed when Appetite became a juggernaut phenomenon and later during the UYI tour.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Just a reminder there's another announcement coming from the Nightrain board today as well.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Just a reminder there's another announcement coming from the Nightrain board today as well.

Do we know when?

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
bigbri wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Do we know when?

No word on when. A mod there posted yesterday about something happenin today as well.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

hopefully the line up of the band.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't want to know the lineup. I fear it will piss me off.

johndivney wrote:

It's the album/GH2 + Slash/Duff.. wink

While it'd have been nice to just dump all the shit on the Kimmel show, this is actually a p neat way of doing it, & keeps it closer to the fans really.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

I'm hoping for a statement on other gigs. Would like to know before I drop probably more than a grand on Coachella tix and travel expenses.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I'm hoping for a statement on other gigs. Would like to know before I drop probably more than a grand on Coachella tix and travel expenses.

That's a lot of money to drop, especially given Axl's recent vocal situation. I'm in wait-and-see mode. If multiple gigs show up on YouTube with him sounding like 2010 or 2006, I might be willing to see this circus live if it comes to Texas.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

If you drop a grand to see a non AFD lineup I will pay for your counseling. What a fucking rip off. Slash and Duff is great. Watching them share a stage with Pittman and Frank may make me vomit.

Board footer