You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: Terrorist attacks in Brussels

Yamcha wrote:
TheMole wrote:

At least 13 dead after explosions at the airport, supposedly 2 more attacks on the subway in Brussels...

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/22/europ … index.html

I'm currently in Frankfurt, on a layover from Brussels to San Francisco. This happened about 90 minutes after I checked in at that exact same spot. To say that I'm a bit shaken would be an understatement...

Wow, TheMole, I am so glad to hear that you are safe.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Holy shit, that was close!

I was toying of making a list to see how close I have been to terrorist attacks today.

I think one day away from London 7/7 bombings is the closest I ever was.
I stopped by Brussels Airport in 2014, so its been a while.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Glad you're ok Mole. Belgium certainly seems to be hot bed for these loons at the moment.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the sentiments. I and my family, colleagues, etc... are ok as far as we know. I take this flight often enough for it to be kinda routine (once every month/two months or so).

The thing that is incredibly fucked up is that the country had been on high alert for months since the last, we had military personnel actually patrolling the airport (I saw one in the exact place where the first bombs were detonated), subways, multiplexes, shopping streets and malls, ....

We need to stop thinking that throwing more brute force at this problem is going to solve anything, it just creates a false sense of security. Everyone can always hide in plain sight in busy places like this. We can only really solve this by dramatically increasing the quality and quantity of our domestic (as in pan-European) intelligence operations. These groups need to be infiltrated, up to the highest levels, with as many agents as possible and taken down from the inside.

DCK, I seem to be stacking up these near misses! I was in Paris the day of the Charlie Hebdo attacks, I was in LA when San Bernardino happened, I took the Thalys the day that attack was foiled... Oh, and my birthday is September 11th... go figure!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I hope you're not going to vegas for the guns shows...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I hope you're not going to vegas for the guns shows...

Yeah, no shit. Holy fuck.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Why is MSNBC blaming those terrorists on living and ghettos and not being fully accepted. Sick of the excuses the liberals make like it is Belgium's fault.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Why is MSNBC blaming those terrorists on living and ghettos and not being fully accepted. Sick of the excuses the liberals make like it is Belgium's fault.

Blame is a strong word. They are discussing the conditions that foster and drive people towards terrorism. To acknowledge that problems with integration cause these issues is blind. They are not BLAMING Belgium for the attacks, nor are the excusing the terrorists actions, but it is important to look at what social conditions foster terrorism and how we (the "West"/the developed world) as a society can counteract these.

You are the one who posted a video that asked for an open frank discussion about these issues in the other thread, can't follow that up by being "sick of excuses" and trashing liberals - which you seem to be using as a catch all word for those who don't want a knee jerk heavy handed approach.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Blame is a strong word. They are discussing the conditions that foster and drive people towards terrorism. To acknowledge that problems with integration cause these issues is blind. They are not BLAMING Belgium for the attacks, nor are the excusing the terrorists actions, but it is important to look at what social conditions foster terrorism and how we (the "West"/the developed world) as a society can counteract these.

You are the one who posted a video that asked for an open frank discussion about these issues in the other thread, can't follow that up by being "sick of excuses" and trashing liberals - which you seem to be using as a catch all word for those who don't want a knee jerk heavy handed approach.

Good points but did the San Bernadino people live in the Ghetto?  I would buy that excuse if it were valid.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Good points but did the San Bernadino people live in the Ghetto?  I would buy that excuse if it were valid.

I think the point was that they aren't assimilating very well in European countries as they are here.

Board footer