You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

This got started a short while ago, seems like alot of people are signing it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/123450

Lomax wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This got started a short while ago, seems like alot of people are signing it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/123450

Nice move. Wont' work.

More worrying is the fact that this vote has consolidated the hard-right in Britain.
Stay or go there are going to be some serious problems with the Neo-Nazis over the next 5 years.

johndivney wrote:

They should do what they do in the south, just keep calling referendums until the people make the correct decision.
Referendum - election - referendum.
Can't see Dave taking it off the table. Doubt he has the stomach for that fight. Just will he be usurped after it anyway, certainly looks like he & Gideon have finally been outmanoeuvred by their back benchers & right.

Dismayed at how readily the leave spin has gotten thru, thru to people I'd hoped would offer more care & thought. Almost everyone who I know is voting is voting leave. But then maybe it's me that's wrong, just the reasons given "I don't want the Turks coming here", are so alien to me that it really does stun me, isolates me even.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think Dave has to resign unless he's pulling a 2nd referendum play.

That said if demographics show huge divide between those under 30 and those over, along with the Scottish and Northern Irish then he'd be justified. Especially if it's low turnout. I'd be surprised though.

If this is a landslide yes vote, like it looks like it could be... then he has no ground to stand on. I can't believe Boris would be PM though.

johndivney wrote:

Gove or Boris, I can see it. Little englanders are fucking out in force this summer, stirred up by the mail & the sun. & the Tories'll like them both at least initially, they will give them what Dave wouldn't. It's definitely an interesting sociological era. Just sometimes it's unfortunate we have to be the ones who live it..

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Gove or Boris, I can see it. Little englanders are fucking out in force this summer, stirred up by the mail & the sun. & the Tories'll like them both at least initially, they will give them what Dave wouldn't. It's definitely an interesting sociological era. Just sometimes it's unfortunate we have to be the ones who live it..

You know what they think of us though right?

I lived in England for a while. Alot think we're foreigners and don't even know Northern Ireland is a country, despite their passports or think it's just terrorism here.

Considering what unionists here think it's ironic. I know, I grew up in a unionist area.

People here think they're British or Irish with some thinking we're Northern Irish. Most English would call themselves English and those that do call themselves British (still don't think of Northern Ireland as being part of it).

Is it any surprise how the Scottish feel?

johndivney wrote:

Yea this place is afflicted by extremes: more Irish than the Irish, more British than the British. I do think it's changing but for some people it will never change. & even the moderates over here, the people I was referring to earlier, seem to have had their heads spun by leave.

But yea I know what they think of us, when they have to think of us.

Again tho everyone has to take responsibility across the board for the political & societal failures that have let these spring up. It's all well and good blaming people for fear mongering, but we've let ourselves be led in that direction. Lost our way, somethings out of whack. Or maybe this is just the way it's meant to be, just the nature of the beast..

AtariLegend wrote:

I get uncomfortable when I see Gove on my TV. It's not just the lies he's spews, it's something about his aura on tv.

It's very unnerving.

He'd lose the Torries votes if he was PM, maybe that would be a good thing... the damage might already be done though.

AtariLegend wrote:

This was from a while back.

ClQFRcvWgAAb98n.jpg:large

It's worth pointing out that it seems in recent polls, remain has started picking support again and the polls are a bit closer again.

Lomax wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

This was from a while back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClQFRcvWgAAb98n.jpg:large

It's worth pointing out that it seems in recent polls, remain has started picking support again and the polls are a bit closer again.

I've been looking at Bloombergs Brexit tracker over the past few weeks.

It's here: http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2016-brexit-watch/

Leave really picked up steam jumping from 24% a few weeks ago to 44% this week.
They dropped 2% today though.

Board footer