You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

AtomsNest wrote:

It'll be lame if it's full of celebs and media, but I don't mind them having a secret show.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't care about the "first" show. It's not going to spoil my enjoyment of either show. I forked out the money because it was vegas and because you just never knew if there would be more shows. I'm not suddenly mad because I could have gone to several other shows for what I'm paying to go to these 2. I'm going to enjoy them for what they are, which is something I never thought I'd see again.

That's the way I feel. These tickets were going to be expensive if it was show number one or not. It's not cheap to travel. I thought about buying tickets. Too pricey though. I sat tight and am waiting for local shows to be announced. The notion that all of a sudden these tickets are severely devalued doesn't make that much sense to me. I still think it's a tough ticket to get. I find it hard to believe that people are now going to be giving them away because it may now be the 2nd show instead of the 1st.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
faldor wrote:

IF this show does take place, and the band was upfront about it from the beginning, it sounds like you guys wouldn't have bought the tickets for Vegas. Just so we're on the same page there. So, them playing a secret gig that 99.9% of the general public will have absolutely zero chance of attending would diminish the "first" arena show Axl and Slash have played together in 23 years? It's still the FIRST show you'd have the opportunity to see them. Everyone KNEW this was a possibility. There are very few guarantees in life. I'm sorry you feel misled. Give it a few days, I'm sure you'll get over it.

How about giving people a shot at it though?
Some people would like to be there and see it for themselves after investing a lot of years into this band.

After you shell out 2-3k for Coachella, then shell out 2-3k for Vegas maybe you don't have the money to try for the secret gig in case there is one.

And it's ok if people don't care about the 'first show' thing, but don't take it on SG and others who obviously care about it and it means a lot to them.

I guess it's all about the money and nothing else for GNR.
Can't wait to see who's at the secret gig if it's gonna happen.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Sorry for fanning the flames a bit on my part. Prolly read one depressing headline too many today.

I get the history aspect of Show 1 and the desire to soak in the atmosphere. Still, let's face it. It's a nostalgia trip, like the recent Monty Python performances. Guns are retro, and this is hardly like opening for the Stones in 1989, at which point they were at the cusp of making history.

Now they are - relics of a bygone age. This will be the last configuration through which this band will likely go, hopefully with grace and dignity. There's little point to let go Slash again, regardless how long they'll put up. Mick and Keef have 18 years on Ax, so it's always possible Guns are still duking it out in the 2030s. If they last long enough, Guns can actually (finally) become the next Stones, as who else would?

Maybe, this will open a door for something other than retirement. Here's hoping.

I get that missing Show 1 despite reports to the contrary would be irksome. But I give you 10 to 1, SG (like most people attending) will be floored the second Slash plays the opening chords to the Jungle with him in the room, even if they'd play two secret shows a night leading up to that.

Chances are, Show 2 (whenever that is) is more qualified in performance, they've had Show 1 to work out some kinks and have thawed the ice based on the response. Plus, I'm personally happy to hear SG got rid of his Coachella ticket and got into Vegas instead - I'm sure it'll be a better show for him, as unlike Coachella, it's going to be all about Guns.

I actually do hope Adler will appear on stage in Vegas. That smile of his would likely light up the whole venue.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think if it happens, once those pictures of Axl & Slash surface it will change any ill will.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

But didn't everyone think in the back of their mind that a pop up warm up gig could be in the cards? It's kinda been the norm for a while now no?

Niterain
 Rep: 4 

Niterain wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

But didn't everyone think in the back of their mind that a pop up warm up gig could be in the cards? It's kinda been the norm for a while now no?

Yeah, i believe that most people knew it might happen

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

No, because the Vegas show was announced as the first show. So like dummies we believed they would stand by that. Also, this tour like none other in the history of guns. I went to a Vegas warm up show in Vegas in 2001. It was just another show, no crazy hype or anything. To try and compare past nuguns or classic guns tours to this is ridiculous. They knew what they were doing and they knew "first time in 23 years" would create a huge demand. They have known of a nation wide tour for well over a year. They kept that shit quiet to keep demand for the first 6 shows high. I get that. When you have increased demand, you usually do add more shows, but not earlier shows to upstage your epic come back show. They can play LA after coachella in a club if they want. No need to do that shit now.

Those that agreed with me and support me, thanks!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

But a lot of people in this world struggle to feed their families and provide them with shelter, day in, day out.

That's the fallacy of relative privation though - the existence of a worse problem in the world has nothing to do with an unrelated matter - you could  use the same argument to say people struggling to feed their families should quit complaining because some people have cancer - and people with cancer shouldn't complain because some people are already dead - it's a never ending spiral to find the worst possible scenario that unfairly diminishes everything else.

Are there worse problems in the world? Yes. However that doesn't make it right that a number of people were misled about the nature of these shows. Will the shows still be good anyway? Yes. They are GNR reunion shows seen by hardcore GNR fans. However the bottom line is the marketing of the product was misleading and people made choices based on faulty information.

To me the real depressing thing about this is that it's not really an isolated incident. GNR often acts as if it's fans are entitled and just searching for things to complain over. However, time and time again, when you look closely at what happened, it's because the band often offers minimum value and doesn't hold up their end of the bargain. I'm talking about things like the fan club reboots, or the meets and greets that even guys like pittman or richard were too busy to attend etc, there's tons of incidents. Usually you can look at it and go "well you got something at least". But wouldn't it be nice if GNR actually respected their fans the way some bands do, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to take the minimum and GNR actually gave fair value for once?

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Sounds like GNR, market a show as the first time Axl and Slash have been together on stage in two decades, your fans pay thousands to go rather than wait for the inevitable global tour so as to feel the excitement of the first time , many traveling from overseas for thousands of bucks, and then you play a secret show before hand.

I love the music but this band literally has no respect for it's fanbase at all.

I disagree. Holding secret shows isn't disrespectful. It's basically a rehearsal and helps create extra buzz.

GNR has a loooooooooong track record of doing shows before any tour starts. No one should be surprised about any potential shows beforehand. Its par for the course.

I didn't consider Soundgarden's secret show disrespectful and I wont consider GNR's to be either.

People paid THOUSANDS....

Rock N Rio wasn't a reunion. This is 23 fucking years and the first time they were supposed to be together is April 8. You can't spin it any other way. It is bullshit. They don't need to rehearse for a crowd. They are all over 50, not 15. Show up like a badass and own it in Vegas. Vegas sold out fast as fuck cause it was to be the first show. PERIOD.

Its supply and demand.     People are willing to pay those thousands.    Vegas sold out because no one knew if there would be more shows or not..  maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Board footer