You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: GNR - VEGAS, T-Mobile Arena Show, 4/8

apex-twin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Apples and oranges...one actually played in the band.

But if we go down to that, we face the fact that Slash's songs were heavily featured in 2001-14.
Those songs were always 'his' as much as Better will always be 'Robin's'.

Where does this leave us Finck aficionados? For one, we can rejoice that Robin's song is still alive.
Think about it - Axl and Slash finally reunite after 23 years and they both feel Better is worthy of playing.

Without knowing any better, better, I have a feeling that brought a smile on Robin's face. smile

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Apples and oranges...one actually played in the band.

But if we go down to that, we face the fact that Slash's songs were heavily featured in 2001-14.
Those songs were always 'his' as much as Better will always be 'Robin's'.

Where does this leave us Finck aficionados? For one, we can rejoice that Robin's song is still alive.
Think about it - Axl and Slash finally reunite after 23 years and they both feel Better is worthy of playing.

Without knowing any better, better, I have a feeling that brought a smile on Robin's face. smile

But the point brought forth was wes arkeen...

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Uh huh. I mentioned West as someone whose song is a mainstay in the setlist, but he's not in the band (nor ever was). ISE is both a West and Guns song, I think. This suggests the concept of a Guns song can extend beyond any given lineup - in this case, AFD5.

Any definitive Slash song (take your pick) performed in '01-'14 was still a Guns song. And Robin was in Guns, so whatever is said of Better now should be reflected to what was said about SCOM or whatever back in his day.

Better, CD and TIL all sprang from the CD era and were written certain folks, incl. Axl. They were Guns songs then and they are Guns songs now. Like ISO, they can be adopted by the core trio and amalgamated into any setlist without a hitch.

If anything, they have been redeemed somewhat, as they are free from the shadow of the $13 Million (and then some) album and can simply exist as Guns songs.

As for Robin, I pined for him all the way from 2009 to 2014. He should've had been there, because he brought a lot of soul to the CD band.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

And hey, he could show that Slash fella a thing or 2 about the TIL solo 22

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Uh huh. I mentioned West as someone whose song is a mainstay in the setlist, but he's not in the band (nor ever was). ISO is both a West and Guns song, I think. This suggests the concept of a Guns song can extend beyond any given lineup - in this case, AFD5.

Any definitive Slash song (take your pick) performed in '01-'14 was still a Guns song. And Robin was in Guns, so whatever is said of Better now should be reflected to what was said about SCOM or whatever back in his day.

This I feel is the same with Better, CD and TIL now. They sprang from the CD era and were written certain folks, incl. Axl. They were Guns songs then and they are Guns songs now. Like ISO, they can be adopted by the core trio and amalgamated into any setlist without a hitch.

If anything, they have been redeemed somewhat, as they are free from the shadow of the $13 Million (and then some) album and can simply exist as Guns songs.

As for Robin, I pined for him all the way from 2009 to 2014. He should've had been there, because he brought a lot of soul to the CD band.

Did Wes play anything meaningful on ISE? Robin wrote and played on Better.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

According to Axl, West pretty much wrote the song.

Fortus also wrote parts for Better, and the whole thing was much of a group effort.

FlashFlood

FlashFlood wrote:

I gotta imagine someone will come to my defense in this one smile

AtariLegend wrote:

I don't see why either should be downplayed. Arkeen also co-wrote these tracks.

If you want a track that Arkeen plays on...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I gotta imagine someone will come to my defense in this one smile

You're looking for someone to defend Finck?  Probably won't be me. smile

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Anything but downplaying on my part.

As said, big Finck fan.

Better today sounds different, but that's a natural development (ie, closer to the overall sound of the current band).

It's always going to be Robin's baby, despite who plays it live.

Board footer