You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: This I Love (guitar solo debate)

Neemo wrote:

I dunno...I haven't voted yet...to me it seems like slash is filling in the holes in key with the band atm...alot of improv...I imagine it will become more refined as the tour goes on...right now it seems like a work in progress...need to listen a few more times before I vote

Which solo do you prefer?

Original 47%
Re-done 53%
Total votes: 32
tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I just listened to both, again. Fincks has aged well over time. It is a good solo. When Slash's solo starts, it starts pretty similar to Finck, but what takes Slash to the next level is that 2 step bend he does. Gives me chills then he does some nice November rain esqué major scale runs. So if you didn't like that solo you may not like November Rain's Outro solo. I don't think he overplayed. I think it is tasty as fuck. I think in the studio with a perfect mix, it would sound amazing.

Verdict: both are very good but Slash's has those killer bends, killer tone and some tasty runs ala November Rain.

What Slash did with this is nowhere near November Rain. Don't even attempt to put them in the same sentence. His work on November Rain is some of the best stuff he has ever done.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

Voted for 21. he's so freakin smooth. his is far more interesting. sounds incredible. and I like the original.

(and kudos to axl on the vocals. tough song to sing and in the past he was 100% high pitched. other live recordings of this were cringe worthy. he brought some rasp here and did a great job overall.)

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I don't think Slash solo fit better, and it still feels somewhat improvised. It does give the song another level, so I'm slightly bending towards Slash. But not enough to vote. LOL

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I just listened to both, again. Fincks has aged well over time. It is a good solo. When Slash's solo starts, it starts pretty similar to Finck, but what takes Slash to the next level is that 2 step bend he does. Gives me chills then he does some nice November rain esqué major scale runs. So if you didn't like that solo you may not like November Rain's Outro solo. I don't think he overplayed. I think it is tasty as fuck. I think in the studio with a perfect mix, it would sound amazing.

Verdict: both are very good but Slash's has those killer bends, killer tone and some tasty runs ala November Rain.

What Slash did with this is nowhere near November Rain. Don't even attempt to put them in the same sentence. His work on November Rain is some of the best stuff he has ever done.

The MIDDLE solos are the legendary ones in NR. The Outro solo is good.... The first 2 solos in NR are some of his all time best. The Outro is similar in style to his here. The reason the Outro on NR sounds better is because it is played over a kick ass portion over a song. But I do not want to imply that Slash's TIL is as good as NR. It is not.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The MIDDLE solos are the legendary ones in NR. The Outro solo is good.... The first 2 solos in NR are some of his all time best. The Outro is similar in style to his here. The reason the Outro on NR sounds better is because it is played over a kick ass portion over a song. But I do not want to imply that Slash's TIL is as good as NR. It is not.

I think all of the NR solos are awesome. 21

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

original matches backing/orchestration better and this is the song I looked forward to hearing slash's take the most. I think slash would come up with something better in the studio and will do so live if he continues to tweak it but right now i vote original.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I went with the unpopular choice, but in my opinion Robin's studio version is the best so far.

With that said, I certainly am not going to complain about the way Slash plays it.   

I do believe if Slash stayed a little more true to what was recorded, he could potentially do something even greater with it.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

I had this thought last night after reading comments on how Axl had no problems with Slash but wasnt ready in what, 2011? I think maybe Axl wanted to keep touring and play more stuff from Chinese, so when Slash comes back he'll have to play those songs. Does anyone think if the reunion happened in 2009, the new lineup dissolves somehow, that Slash would play those songs? I don't.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

DtM51 wrote:

I had this thought last night after reading comments on how Axl had no problems with Slash but wasnt ready in what, 2011? I think maybe Axl wanted to keep touring and play more stuff from Chinese, so when Slash comes back he'll have to play those songs. Does anyone think if the reunion happened in 2009, the new lineup dissolves somehow, that Slash would play those songs? I don't.

I don't agree.   If the return of Slash/Duff happened in 2006 or 2011, the CD songs were still likely in the mix.

The truth is, with Axl owning the GnR name, he is the one with leverage.    I think a condition for having Slash back in the band was, Slash is going to play anything from the GnR catalogue, including CD songs.

Slash and Duff agree to play the CD songs and Axl agreed to let Slash change them up a bit more to his style.   Slash seemed to enjoy playing those songs anyway.

Board footer