You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: This I Love (guitar solo debate)

misterID wrote:

Robin.

Which solo do you prefer?

Original 47%
Re-done 53%
Total votes: 32
jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Based on those 2 clips I'm voting Robin. Slash is noodling a lot here and hits a lot of bum notes on his bends. Its actually not that great. That said, the intent and potential for Slash to knock that one right out of the park is clear as day. Robins solo on a pretty cheesy song to be fair, has got a bad rap - it's in part a tribute to the Slash-esque suspense and lyrical climax-type solo, with similar phrasing, with Robins unique kind of broken stuttering style. It's clear Slash is loosely abiding by it - I think in time Slash will own this one quite comfortably but based on what we have heard, Robins is still better for me.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Both of Robin's original solos in Better and This I Love are a better fit for the songs. They actually sound more like classic Slash than what Slash has been doing in these live shows with those two songs.

Sober Slash ain't exactly Slash.
Mark Tremonti sounded more like Slash on the first Alter Bridge record than Slash has since It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere.

(Prolly what inspired Mr. Hudson to hire Myles in the first place)

Having said that, I agree that hearing it differently makes it click in our brains as "wrong" in the same way Ol' Thunderchucker doesn't mimic Sorum's tom fills, so we equate that as him playing the songs shittily.

Axl gave his guys free reign to play the songs how they wanted to live, even if that meant altering classic and iconic Gn'R solos that we could all hum in our sleep for 30 years. Why would Slash be different?

I like the Slash version. Because Slash. a cunt hair excessive in the noodling department, but fuck it. This is the song now, kids.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Really pretty close of the solo here:

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That was definitely better than the first night.

johndivney wrote:

Slash

Axl'll should've gotten Brian May to do the solo spot for it.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

That was definitely better than the first night.

Slash reads the forums and came up w/ a proper solo overnight wink

Seriously, that's a good one.

AtariLegend wrote:

Given the few voters that would never have voted against Slash anyway, I think it's fair to say it's not "light years ahead" judging by the voting not being that much off tongue.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I voted for the original. It may be too engrained in my head at this point. Maybe after time, the new version could overtake it, but I'm not there yet. I played it to an impartial third party too and they agreed.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Original by a mile. C'mon, Slash's 2nd take on it is only better than his 1st cause its closest to the original.

Question for those who dont like Robins solo, do you not like it for his playing or for his melody?

Board footer