You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Guns N' Roses tour to continue through 2017(and beyond)

faldor wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

All this talk about Label turning down the album are just rumours and hearsays. There is no concrete evidence to support the claim.
Axl could have easily found a way to release music if he had wanted all these years. He just can`t be bothered anymore despite what he says.

What you call rumors and hearsay, others refer to as personal accounts from people who were intimately involved in the project. And I disagree with your opinion about Axl easily being able to release the album. I think it was anything but easy to relaunch an entirely new lineup and get people to buy into it still being GNR. From fans, to media members, to record execs. He had a lot to prove.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Yes, he had lot to prove. Instead of shoving down everyone`s throat album he had been working on for years, he pussed out because Ezrin told him he did n`t have enough good songs.
Funny how other bands and artists are able to put out music while everyone is out ta get Axl.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Blame the label...not Axl. If Axl had got what he wanted, we'd have had the album 15 years ago and likely the followup a year or two later.

I'm not saying that the label doesn't bear a lot of the responsibility also, but it's odd to me to dismiss Axl's involvement altogether. Why didn't this happen to metallica? To Ac/Dc? to every other act then if it's just the label?

GNR is the only band with this sort of a history, and while the label I'm sure made life hard, some of that has to do with the plans Axl made and with his responses to disapproval.

James Lofton wrote:

It amazes me when I see people say GNR doesn't warrant a 2 disc compilation.

They have plenty of great songs for a 2 disc set.

The issue is more that GH are useful for bands like Aerosmith or Ac/Dc that have a long and convoluted catalogue of full albums. You know the kind - 17 records from the past and you just want something like the hits setlist they play live.

GNR has basically 4 records of originals. So it's odd to buy a 2 disc set to assemble the hits when you could just buy a 4 disc set and have essentially the whole catalogue!

Well nearly anyway.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not saying that the label doesn't bear a lot of the responsibility also, but it's odd to me to dismiss Axl's involvement altogether. Why didn't this happen to metallica? To Ac/Dc? to every other act then if it's just the label?

GNR is the only band with this sort of a history, and while the label I'm sure made life hard, some of that has to do with the plans Axl made and with his responses to disapproval.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. AC/DC making a low budget, 40-minute album about pussy and partying is hardly a guy rebuilding a band from scratch to make an ambitious art rock record.

I don't think the record was ready to come out until 2002 and with issues with making that / getting it released at the record company, the VMA performance being a "disaster" or whatever Axl called it, and the tour selling poorly, he decided to try to live and fight another day.

"I had to deal with so many other things that don't have to do with music but have to do with the industry. There's such a loss of time. It was more about survival. There wasn't anyone to work with or trust. Someone would come in to help produce and the reality was they just wanted to mix it and get it out the door. They had a different agenda... I'm surviving this war, not the one who created this war."

The TL;DR of the whole saga seems to be: rotating cast of band members, rotating cast of executives/producers, and Axl's personal issues all cause delays. Axl is certainly culpable but the label rejecting a new album from a hit producer like Beavan and a rockstar with a track record of brilliance may just be the height of corporate hubris.

Let's hope the next decade is filled with new GNR music. I really want to see Axl get artistic redemption. Huge fan of that dude.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I don't think that's a fair comparison. AC/DC making a low budget, 40-minute album about pussy and partying is hardly a guy rebuilding a band from scratch to make an ambitious art rock record.

I hear you, but then whose idea was it to move away from guitar based rock and into Synth and NiN style sounds? Who rejected every song presented to him by the people who wrote the classic albums for several years? Who made himself uncontactable, only showed up in the dead of night, and hid behind a wall of Brazilian handlers until the partners he founded the band with and turned into employees quit in utter desperation? None of these ideas come from the label.

The producers may not have been good choices by the label, but those guys only even have those jobs because they've done well at getting good commercial records out artists before. It's not like this happens every time - Axl's own problems have to have at least contributed.

All I'm saying is, the fan base has moved from "Axl is the devil - everything is his fault" to "Axl is a Saint - the label is the devil" and the reality has to be in-between those positions.

All of these problems date from when Axl got full control of the band, that's not a co-incidence.

However the situation is somewhat of a "perfect storm" in that at the same time the labels were undergoing terrible restructures and industry wide meltdowns that ended up putting undue pressure on them to make the GNR record worth the sunk cost.

These days the label should be easier to work with, and Axl seems to have got on top of some of his demons too. However all I was saying is I would be surprised if he is able pull of multiple releases at speed now as it's really never been his work style. No disrespect to him intended in saying that - dude is a genius and the songs are amazing - hell I even think CD is amongst his best work.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

All I'm saying is, the fan base has moved from "Axl is the devil - everything is his fault" to "Axl is a Saint - the label is the devil" and the reality has to be in-between those positions.

All very good points, especially this one.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

All this talk about Label turning down the album are just rumours and hearsay. There is no concrete evidence to support the claim.
Axl could have easily found a way to release music if he had wanted all these years. He just can`t be bothered anymore despite what he says.

No they are not.

And Axl couldn't simply "release music". He's signed to a record company. And the record company has a big say in what gets released and what doesn't, and what gets marketing support and what doesn't, and if they return or don't return Axl's calls or not.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

M.I.A. is going through something similar regarding getting music released.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu … story.html

I didn't follow the politics or fine details of the thing but I do know generally that Kesha is stuck with her label too. It seems to be a common thing nowadays.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Labels are indeed well known for being pretty evil, and it is common for artists to get 'stuck' where they label won't let them out of their contract but also won't release anything. I think there's more to that with Axl though or he could have been playing new songs live for years. They seem mentally  'stuck' on the CD songs - even redoing them with Ashba after release.

I really think it's both sides of them. Doubtless the label did some fucked stuff, but I also think Axl didn't cope well with the pressure, and that some of the way he handles things makes it a lot worse.

Here's an interesting article written before CD came out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/arts/ … .html?_r=0

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Yes, he had lot to prove. Instead of shoving down everyone`s throat album he had been working on for years, he pussed out because Ezrin told him he did n`t have enough good songs.
Funny how other bands and artists are able to put out music while everyone is out ta get Axl.

Other bands and artists have trouble with their labels and getting music out. It's not something exclusive to GNR. Not many other bands were once one of the most popular acts in the music industry that disbanded and the lead singer continued on with an entirely new cast of characters. It's pretty hard to find a fair comparison, but you can try if you'd like.

Board footer