You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Orlando 7/29/2016

All of which presupposes that Slash and Duff have re-recorded old Chinese Democracy tracks – which is a pretty big assumption. There's every chance that they'll just put out the hypothetical Best Of with the original studio CD tracks and nothing more.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My reasoning is:

1. Rumour is that Slash has already done some recording for GNR: http://www.guitarworld.com/artists-arti … oses/28734

2. In the Chinese Interview - Axl implied that perhaps he could add Slash to unreleased CD2 tracks if Slash was interested but it sounded like it hadn't happened yet from the phrasing.

Thus it would seem Slash either recorded new riffs or perhaps had a tinker with CD.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

One other thing.....you mentioned the lack of youth at the show.

While they're having no problems on this tour, if you want the youth, you need a single. Its all about the hot single now. I imagine they can pull in a certain amount of youth just on how epic the event is overall but other than that......you need to be on the charts.

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

One other thing.....you mentioned the lack of youth at the show.

While they're having no problems on this tour, if you want the youth, you need a single. Its all about the hot single now. I imagine they can pull in a certain amount of youth just on how epic the event is overall but other than that......you need to be on the charts.

Fuck the Millenials. This is for the true fans. Haha. This is for everyone that waited since 1993. If young folks come, great, but they don't "get it" for the most part outside the forums.

http://www.alternativenation.net/why-ch … er-chance/

This article from Lauryn Schaffner at Alt. Nation REALLY explains (while kinda missing the point, although her point is different than mine) what I was getting at.

This girl goes to interview people at the New Jersey show, and most of these people are nothing more than casuals who have Greatest Hits saved on Spotify and nothing more, and have never really listened to the band. They are either so young, they are clueless as to the history of GN'R, clueless to the history of Chinese Democracy, and know nothing more than the Zeitgeist of the band passed down from the media for the last 20 years... Axl's a racist dick, the band broke up, there is no GN'R without Slash, fuck Bucket (who's that?), free Tibet, where's the beef?, etc.

Brainless zombies, full They Live-style.

Then you have the old school casuals who haven't even been to a fucking rock show since Guns N' Roses in 1993. These people, IDIOTS, call Eddie Trunk's satellite radio-call in show all time, and they're fucking morons

Case in point...

This dumbass calls Eddie back in May to ask Eddie when W.A.S.P. are ever gonna get back together and record an album, not referencing the breakup in the early 2000's between Blackie Lawless & Chris Holmes, but the WHOLE band... when will they get back together and record a new album, WHEN THEY NEVER STOPPED!!! They've BEEN recording albums FOR YEARS. They've put out a couple in the last couple years, and Golgatha actually made several top-10 lists for metal album of the year across the 'net. Granted they tour Europe mostly, but still. There music is a point and click away. Literally THE EASIEST WAY IN HUMAN HISTORY TO ACCESS NEW MUSIC.

And this dumbass can't even do that.

And like Eddie explains, if you're waiting for MTV, or VH1, or AXS, or MuchMusic or the BBC, or the mainstream corporate media, who actually have recently covered GN'R on the recent local stadium shows just because of sheer magnitude of the reunion, if you're waiting for those guys to tell you what's going on.... wait for Jesus, because he'll be here sooner.

A-LOT of THOSE type of old school GN'R fans are showing up for these stadium shows. People that I saw go to the beer line for the deep cuts like Coma & Estranged from UYI, and many of these people could care FUCKING LESS that Coma was being played.

Coma

COMA

MOTHER FUCKING COMA

And you expect them to give a shit about Chinese Democracy? Most of these people were clueless when Duff played You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory & Attitude, and i'm assuming Raw Power at the other shows. Forget fans who are waiting for a Dizzy solo with Street of Dreams. They might leave and never come back. But when LALD, or Civil War, or KOHD or Don't Cry was played, along with the old school covers like Wish You Were Here, Godfather & Seeker... they were all ears. Some even sang along.

So again, some of these people are clueless about Chinese, because they're clueless about GN'R. They have one album Greatest Hits and/or the Spotify 'Best-of' playlist. Most of these people never even followed Velvet Revolver, let alone Chinese.

So again... Chinese takes a bad wrap, because THE MEDIA and a certain generation have decided (like Halloween III) to make it the bastard child of a generation, when the explanation is a bit more deep, yet more simple than that.

But as far as before... kudos to the girl who tried to write an article to give Chinese a second look and second chance. And like Halloween III: Season of the Witch, I truly believe there's a generation down the line that will look at that album one day as a lost album of greatness, when others (including radio stations I called who REFUSED to play that album in 2008, because FUCK GN'R without Slash), who are nothing more than fucking shit lobbing chimps that know nothing about the band, they're just fucking posers who show up to be seen because it's the most popular thing at the moment.

Next week they'll be pointing and laughing at GN'R while they attend a fucking Katy Perry show. They aren't ALL fans... but alot of them, sadly, yes. Every artist gets the bandwagoners. Just like when the Red Sox finally broke the curse and won a World Series in 2004, suddenly by 2005, every fucking body suddenly were long-time diehard Red Sox fans, even though they lived in One Gator, Florida and couldn't name you one mother fucker on the team not named Johnny goddamn cavement Damon.

*rant over*

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

That Eddie Trunk caller is interesting, Eddie has a valid point, but the fact of the matter, only the most devout are going to sit around Googling or wondering for hours about bands they haven't heard from in years and years. That hillbilly who called in probably just called in to call in and hoped to get on the air. He probably hadn't thought of WASP in 20 years and decided to bring it up on the call. Eddie makes his living off music, he knows everyone. The average person isn't quite so exuberant on the new WASP album working a terrible job and raising kids. It's not the average joe's responsibility to find out a band is in town, it's the band and promoter's jobs to get that info out there. These bands could just as easily get on Twitter... not their management putting out BS lame tweets, but the actual people in the bands, but they often don't. If the bands can't be bothered with Twitter, why expect anything more from a fan?

As hardcore fans, we take things well beyond what the average person is going to do, but I don't begrudge casual fans because they aren't on forums talking about the band all day. I don't begrudge a casual fan giving up on Axl Rose when he's come up with a whopping one album in quarter century. So many of you guys here are lucky to be from big cities in the US, you have so many options. Eddie in that clip mentioned how so many bands are playing for 60 people a night. Well, to use where I'm from as an example, we have Canadian classic rock bands that you guys might not know (Trooper, April Wine, Helix, etc.) but have devout fans because these bands come through town on a yearly basis. Nazareth comes through my buttfuck area every year. And every year, fans come back again and again and they all play for hundreds/thousands because they have that rapport with fans. Not to pick on WASP, but using them as an example, if they hit the States every 5 years... how can you expect them to be on anyone's radar?

And knowing the GNR set list, if I felt a piss coming on, I'd definitely be hitting the can during Coma! For every hardcore who mocks casuals for rocking a piss during Coma, there's also another hardcore acting like Knockin' On Heaven's Door should be taken out of the set like a total moron, too. For me, when I go to a concert, all I'm thinking about is I'm gonna be getting drunk with a lot of people who also wanna let loose and hear some Guns N' Roses or whoever. That's all that really matters. It's a concert, not an epiphany. Being a total geek, hardcore nerd type would totally kill the spirit of a GNR show for me to begin with. If I went in with that mentality, I'd have to kick my own ass.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

So again... Chinese takes a bad wrap, because THE MEDIA and a certain generation have decided (like Halloween III) to make it the bastard child of a generation, when the explanation is a bit more deep, yet more simple than that.

I love CD but I disagree with this sentiment.

The album was 4 years late (at a minimum) when it finally when to market and when it did, it was after 10 years of leaks and 2 years of silence to no promotion, no music videos, no YouTube channel, and no official website to a weary and pissed off fanbase. There was zero momentum and zero good will for a reason and it walked into it's grave the second the track-list was announced to be half full of previously leaked material.

After it was released, touring on CD a second longer, especially without Buckethead and Robin was pure lunacy. What should've happened is Axl pushing for CD II to be released in November 2009 and then rebuild from there. Instead he tried to force an album down people's throats that they were over a half decade ago with a chain smoking, self-promoting emo kid playing lead guitar.

The world belongs to those who show up and Axl didn't show up for the majority of the Chinese Democracy era and when he finally started to turn a corner, it was already too late. The whole era is an amalgam of Spinal Tap and Titanic.

Board footer