You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

December 10th.

That's when the electorates cast their votes to elect the president officially.

One is a Bernie bro who vowed he would vote against Hillary even if she won his state. This got me thinking. You see, electorates are not obligated to vote with their state. They can vote for who they like. They only have to pay a minescuile fine for flipping.

I'm not saying it will happen, but she won the popular vote, Trump said the popular vote should determine the presidency before and there is all this outrage over the electorate. All it takes are a handful to cast a vote for her.

Just being a shit starter, but I just looked it up because I remember the Bernie bro. But, I'm curious if it becomes a thing in the media.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I didn't realize I was being recorded.

In all seriousness though there's a lot of truth in that. The other thing is just like every new president, they can't just change everything 180 degrees. It just doesn't work that way. There are reasons Obama didn't do everything he said he'd do when he ran, and it's the same reason trump won't. Step back and stop fear mongering. This has happened before and we're still here. Relax and stop being part of the problem.

He has exuctive powers though, it's how Obama got things done.

I'm not going to get sucked into apocalyptic hyperbole, but there's a real history of facts here. Our economy was nearly destroyed under Bush's severe slashing of regulations which led to irresponsible behavior across the corporate world and Wall Street, huge tax cuts for the wealthy and incredible amounts of government spending and high deficits... His spending and tax cuts is going to rocket the debt, that's what Wall Street was betting on, that's what made the dow bounce. Trump is offering to quadruple down on what Bush did. I'm concerned about tens of millions who will lose their healthcare. I'm concerned about the enviorment. If you say we have nothing to worry about then that would make him the biggest liar in the history of the presidency.

We cannot act like he has no ability to damage the country. You're smarter than that. He has the house and senate, McConnell could very realistically eliminate the filibuster. This could go very badly. For this not to happen Democrats are going to have to obstruct everything. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, because I do believe Trump is that big of
And I will say, Trump looked much more comfortable with Obama than with "his" own party. But we still have Steve Bannon in the white house now. That is not going to end well.

What regulations were slashed under Bush that led to the 2008 recession. I'd like specific examples please.

I get it. Some of you are very upset. Look at my predictions about Obama in 2008. They came from a place of anger and a feeling that my thoughts and concerns weren't being heard. But this isn't the apocalypse. It's not the end of the world.

Some shit you really, really disagree with is going to be pushed through (Obamacare).  You're going to call out how bad it is and make predictions that it's going to do more harm than good. Some of your valid concerns will manifest. And you'll be astonished that despite your prediction being true and the law obviously not accomplishing what it intended, the other side blindly refuses to admit that. And worse, despite these failures, the other side will make speeches claiming success from selective statistics that may or may not have anything to do with the original law.

You'll watch as Trump makes decisions you strongly disagree with. You'll lament that whatever quality you cherished and saw in our international policy is degrading.  You'll discuss your frustration with other people and some are going to mock you, discredit you and lob insults meant to silence you with no real thought or consideration.

And you'll get over it. At some point in the not so distant future, Democrats will control congress and the White House. You'll feel vindicated and happy that the dipshits who bumbled decision after decision are finally gone.

So from someone who was shocked that a smooth talker with no leadership experience or qualification other than being "new" was put into office 8 years ago, I empathize. But I can also tell you the anger subsides and is only preventing you from seeing the other side and understanding where they're coming from. Most of you will never be happy with Trump. Some who voted for him will be backing the Democrat in 2020. But it's not the end of the world. There's going to be fewer illegals dropping off babies to get free shit and our trade deals are going to altered. Healthcare will change. But all of that is going to have little impact on your day to day life.

The GOP hasn't put forth a single bill yet, so it's a little premature to say they're going to destroy the country.  Suck it up. The half of the country that didn't vote for Obama has for the past 8 years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

If you feel Bush caused the financial collapse of 2008 you are a fucking idiot. Bush's admin were the only cock suckers around trying to fix the housing crisis while Dems screemed "EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO A HOME!"

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

A Private Eye wrote:

Fuck that was an amazing video.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Fuck that was an amazing video.

It really was great. Thanks to private eye for sharing.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

If you feel Bush caused the financial collapse of 2008 you are a fucking idiot. Bush's admin were the only cock suckers around trying to fix the housing crisis while Dems screemed "EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO A HOME!"

Getting a little too big for your britches here.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You've yet to explain why it's bad! Or what about it offends you.

Yes I have. More than once. We have this discussion every few years or so. Its a circle jerk where one participant wears a dress. You love trannies and gay culture and want it shoved in everyones face 24/7. I don't. You think its great that some parents force little boys to wear dresses to school. I don't.  Simple as that.

You haven't explained WHY you think it's bad. If you have more than once do it now. Don't say you have explained it previously, then walk away from it. And now you're falsely assigning viewpoints to me. I never said I "love trannies and gay culture". I love and have respect for all people, nor did I say I want it shoved down people's throats. By saying you differ from my view on that you effectively say you don't have tolerance and respect for them and that is the issue.

If a kid is FORCED to wear something they don't want then that is bad. If a child from a young age doesn't like/want what they are told theu should like and want(liking blue, liking action heroes/liking pink, having a toy oven) then let them have what they want and let them have the clothes they want.

What is bad about men wearing dresses? What is functionally bad about that item of clothing that makes it unsuitable for a man? Forget, what people might think of it, what about those clothing items makes them unsuitable for men. And vice versa. Why do people have to fit into a mould that you say they have to?

And how do LGBT characters ruin your shows? What about their presence in the show is a ruining factor?

You could at least watch the damn shows if you're going to criticize my criticisms.

To use an example of one of my favorite shows......Party of Five. In the last season, they introduced a gay nanny into the story. There was nothing wrong with this. They actually did a pretty good job with it and Victor taking care of Owen. If it happened today,  Bailey would start wearing dresses after being straight his whole life, start going to gay parades and profess his undying love for Will.

You posted less than a day ago and I have work. How am I going to watch this shit in a day, and why would I invest hours of my life into watching shows just to discuss these shows with you. I also didn't "criticise your criticisms" I ask you to explain them because until then your criticism was "there's gay people in them - that's bad". I don't dispute that some shows are guilty of some virtue signalling but IRL people have been straight and then after a while realised they were gay - IIRC that was in fact the background for a side character in Friends.

it simply IS homophobic and transphobic.

Oh please. This is the tactic used against anyone who doesn't fall in line with the agenda. You've been a member of this community almost since its beginning so I assume you've participated in this discussion before. If so.... you know that I have two gay relatives.....one my uncle who is more like my brother(and only two years older). He's the one I took to that Buckethead show. He doesn't flaunt it in peoples faces continuously and when you see him, you wouldn't think he was gay. In his early 20s he did some things like going to parks/rest areas to fool around. I criticized this at the time. Children go to parks and in the late 90s there was a story in Sacramento about a little girl at the park and when her mom went up to her, she had a used condom in her mouth....she had picked it up off the ground by the bathrooms. THis sparked an outrage here(rightfully so) and people wanted something done about it but of course not a damn thing really happened. Media dropped the story so no one ever found out what happened(or I simply didn't see it) but I hope that kid didn't get a disease from that incident.

Straight people fuck in parks too. It's something exclusive to gay men. To equate it as such and start talking about disease... wow.

My other gay relative is my cousin in her mid 20s. Its like night and day. Its shoved in your face 24/7 and other than #BLM, one of the few things she talks about. She's butch to the core and I've warned her about going too far with it. Not everyone thinks this stuff is peaches and cream and when the eventual backlash occurs, she's gonna have some splainin' to do and it wont be easy to backtrack on all her SJW nonsense. She'll also be on an island because the girls she dates aren't even really lesbians....they do it because its the 'cool' thing to do.

Perhaps, seeing that the world is more tolerant she feels she can be more open? Perhaps when you've had to hide who you are after years or reprisal for some it does become a key, very public, part of their identity. The part in bold... wtf.

Why is it bad that she looks butch and doesn't fit the protypical model of what people think women look like?!! The fact that you talk about her having to fear backlash is exactly why this is an issue for these demographics. Unless your words haven't come across right here it sounds like you've told your cousin to be more closeted because of fear... what a fantastic society........

Nobody gives a shit what they do in their bedroom so keep it there. The general public doesn't want to be constantly bombarded with it. We get it...you're gay....now move on. They don't move on though. They want everyone drowning in their gayness until they cant breathe. Society looks to be ready to come up for some air. I do realize its probably a minority of gays using this approach but if so, the media should stop focusing on it. LIke Chong said, "They're gonna ruin it for the rest of us...".

So a couple of characters on TV being gay and perhaps kissing each other is abhorent and is the shoving of gayness down your throats. But a straight couple kissing on TV, no problem... what a fucking sense of entitlement.

Stop policing consenting adults' sex lives

Like I've already said, no one cares who people fuck behind closed doors. Keep it there. It doesn't belong in every fabric of our culture or at the local park.

No one is advocating fucking in public parks! But they should feel free to kiss their partners in public the same way other people do without fear of reprisal.

Gays like to parrot the 10% statistic. Do you really think such a minority deserves or needs that much attention?!? While its not the same thing obviously, a small percentage of guys have a foot fetish and some here are aware of my interest in that regard. It doesn't mean I want or expect every hot chick to flash her feet on TV screens or for society to cater to my needs. I don't expect society at large to indulge it and certainly don't expect the media to bombard everyone else with it just because that specific interest is in the minority. While its not something I'm ashamed of, its not something I go around bragging about either. Other than some posts on the internet or a few jokes over the years with friends, its not brought out into the open until things get heated with whoever I'm hooking up with. I don't go around demanding special rights or walking down the street waving a flag with Mischa Barton or Angie Harmon's feet on it.

Someone's sexuality cannot be equated with a fetish. But here's the thing perhaps if there area  sizeable set of people with foot fetishes it should appear in pop culture without being a joke in an appropriate setting!

These people have had litttle to no representation in maisntream media for many decades, if there is now an awkard rebalancing where there is perhaps an unrealistic overrrepresentation, then maybe suck it up for a while it'll level out when we finally get to the point where no one cares who is gay/straight/bi and people openly are just accepted for liking who they like. However we've had many centuries prior to this where that wasn't the case so maybe it's not too much to accept seeing some overcompensation in the short term.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Getting a little too big for your britches here.

The policies leading to the financial crisis/housing crisis first started in the late 70's but in the mid 90's were put into high gear and by the time the early 2000's the subprime lending market was at an all time high. Bush didn't cause any of that. When his admin noticed the trends prior to the collapse they were basically told to shut the fuck up

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I didn't realize I was being recorded.

In all seriousness though there's a lot of truth in that. The other thing is just like every new president, they can't just change everything 180 degrees. It just doesn't work that way. There are reasons Obama didn't do everything he said he'd do when he ran, and it's the same reason trump won't. Step back and stop fear mongering. This has happened before and we're still here. Relax and stop being part of the problem.

He has exuctive powers though, it's how Obama got things done.

I'm not going to get sucked into apocalyptic hyperbole, but there's a real history of facts here. Our economy was nearly destroyed under Bush's severe slashing of regulations which led to irresponsible behavior across the corporate world and Wall Street, huge tax cuts for the wealthy and incredible amounts of government spending and high deficits... His spending and tax cuts is going to rocket the debt, that's what Wall Street was betting on, that's what made the dow bounce. Trump is offering to quadruple down on what Bush did. I'm concerned about tens of millions who will lose their healthcare. I'm concerned about the enviorment. If you say we have nothing to worry about then that would make him the biggest liar in the history of the presidency.

We cannot act like he has no ability to damage the country. You're smarter than that. He has the house and senate, McConnell could very realistically eliminate the filibuster. This could go very badly. For this not to happen Democrats are going to have to obstruct everything. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, because I do believe Trump is that big of
And I will say, Trump looked much more comfortable with Obama than with "his" own party. But we still have Steve Bannon in the white house now. That is not going to end well.

What regulations were slashed under Bush that led to the 2008 recession. I'd like specific examples please.

I get it. Some of you are very upset. Look at my predictions about Obama in 2008. They came from a place of anger and a feeling that my thoughts and concerns weren't being heard. But this isn't the apocalypse. It's not the end of the world.

Some shit you really, really disagree with is going to be pushed through (Obamacare).  You're going to call out how bad it is and make predictions that it's going to do more harm than good. Some of your valid concerns will manifest. And you'll be astonished that despite your prediction being true and the law obviously not accomplishing what it intended, the other side blindly refuses to admit that. And worse, despite these failures, the other side will make speeches claiming success from selective statistics that may or may not have anything to do with the original law.

You'll watch as Trump makes decisions you strongly disagree with. You'll lament that whatever quality you cherished and saw in our international policy is degrading.  You'll discuss your frustration with other people and some are going to mock you, discredit you and lob insults meant to silence you with no real thought or consideration.

And you'll get over it. At some point in the not so distant future, Democrats will control congress and the White House. You'll feel vindicated and happy that the dipshits who bumbled decision after decision are finally gone.

So from someone who was shocked that a smooth talker with no leadership experience or qualification other than being "new" was put into office 8 years ago, I empathize. But I can also tell you the anger subsides and is only preventing you from seeing the other side and understanding where they're coming from. Most of you will never be happy with Trump. Some who voted for him will be backing the Democrat in 2020. But it's not the end of the world. There's going to be fewer illegals dropping off babies to get free shit and our trade deals are going to altered. Healthcare will change. But all of that is going to have little impact on your day to day life.

The GOP hasn't put forth a single bill yet, so it's a little premature to say they're going to destroy the country.  Suck it up. The half of the country that didn't vote for Obama has for the past 8 years.

I really like this post a lot. It really speaks to the heart of a lot of things that myself and others are going through. 

I'll give a thoughtful response to this when I have a moment.

Board footer