You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

TheMole wrote:

I find it very strange that Liberals in the US defend the idea that you should be able to vote without proper ID. Just make an ID mandatory to have for every adult, make it easy to acquire and free of charge and all problems are solved, no? That's how virtually the rest of the civilized world does it...

Exactly.  I don't know who all these people are that lack an ID.  You need an ID to open a bank account.  You need an ID to get government assistance.  They say Voter ID would hinder poor minorities, but minorities live almost exclusively in large urban areas where there's plenty of public transportation and state agencies to make IDs.  San Francisco is able to issue IDs to illegals without issue.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think those of you that support right wing nuts like this guy Milo and think like him are pieces of shit.

Just my opinion!

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Because they have been told black people aren't savvy enough to get an ID or use the Internet (the implicit racism in this position is quite astonishing to me). Supporting voter ID laws then makes them racists.

The DNC leadership probably knows that having and ID is something the vast majority of eligible voters already have, so I can only assume they fear the loss of a practice tailor made for election fraud.

Listen guys, this is never been my take on anything.   The DNC doesn't have to tell me things for me to make up my own opinion.

However, there are places in this country where you have to wait hours in line to even vote.

There are also places in this country where conveniently it's not as easy to get a voter ID in certain places and I don't think that's a coincidence.

I walked into my voting booth in voted in five minutes. Why is it so difficult to vote in some areas? Doesn't anyone find that a bit curious?

Bottom line is, in a democracy don't you want is many people who are as eligible to vote as possible? Because I am still of the belief that this is a strategy to  make it just a little bit more difficult to vote or more inconvenient to vote.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I just posted something about how disproportionate the voting is in Wisconsin at the state government level to the representation. Republicans have vast majority's in both places of Congress and a Republican governor.

62.5% of the representation goes to what 49% of the state voted for. Why that doesn't bother you boggles my fucking mind.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

I just posted something about how disproportionate the voting is in Wisconsin at the state government level to the representation. Republicans have vast majority's in both places of Congress and a Republican governor.

62.5% of the representation goes to what 49% of the state voted for. Why that doesn't bother you boggles my fucking mind.

Who drew the districts?  There's no way you'll have a perfect district and people 100 miles away shouldn't be in the same district as people in Madison or Milwaukee to leverage city voters pull either.  Census is in 4 years, you'll have a chance to change it then.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Who drew the districts?  There's no way you'll have a perfect district and people 100 miles away shouldn't be in the same district as people in Madison or Milwaukee to leverage city voters pull either.  Census is in 4 years, you'll have a chance to change it then.

Yes...I understand that there is no perfectly drawn district....but a few very important parts of the state are disproportionately affected by these voter ID rules....students in Madison and minorities of Milwaukee. Thats worth noting.

I believe there was a fight about what constitutes as a voter ID. Student IDs don't count - they used to.

In addition, there was a big fight about closing down DMVs. There are almost no DMVs in Milwaukee proper. Scott Walker shut them down.

No longer are their polling places on campus either.

This seems pretty concerted to me RF.  Tell me what you think.

In a state where a few thousand votes matter...this seems important to consider.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The reason those voter ID laws were made. Horses mouth.

End.

misterID

misterID wrote:
TheMole wrote:

I find it very strange that Liberals in the US defend the idea that you should be able to vote without proper ID. Just make an ID mandatory to have for every adult, make it easy to acquire and free of charge and all problems are solved, no? That's how virtually the rest of the civilized world does it...

There's an issue of making it easy and free.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Yes...I understand that there is no perfectly drawn district....but a few very important parts of the state are disproportionately affected by these voter ID rules....students in Madison and minorities of Milwaukee. Thats worth noting.

I believe there was a fight about what constitutes as a voter ID. Student IDs don't count - they used to.

In addition, there was a big fight about closing down DMVs. There are almost no DMVs in Milwaukee proper. Scott Walker shut them down.

No longer are their polling places on campus either.

This seems pretty concerted to me RF.  Tell me what you think.

In a state where a few thousand votes matter...this seems important to consider.

My only issue with Student IDs is that they don't mean anything.  There is no standard of evidence to issue them, and we know some colleges would have no problem issuing an ID to someone here illegally.  I went to a rather large public university and no one asked for my birth certificate or other info when I was issued my college ID.  Furthermore, my ID didn't have any personal information on it other than my name and student ID.  No DOB or other information. 

If states are going to require ID, they need to be willing to offer free IDs and provide reasonable accommodation to get them issued.  A minimum of a year time to get an ID should be available.  But if someone waits 3 weeks before the election to register/get ID and then complains it's too far away, we should ask what they were doing the other 49 weeks of the year.  Personal responsibility is still a thing. 

Voting shouldn't be difficult.  But that doesn't mean the state has an obligation to have a polling pace within 50 feet of every human either.  I want people to be able to vote and oppose measures that intentionally make it harder.  I just think the claims that IDs hurt people is not based in fact and there are options we can employ to mitigate them.

misterID

misterID wrote:

If we make sure not one American is unfairly disenfranchised by any voter ID law I would not be opposed to it. I have a real problem with politicians using ID laws as a political weapon.

Jon Stewart had a pretty surprising outlook on the election. He's actually not one of the liberals who's either stand on a ledge or trying to take the Democratic party far left.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jon-stewart- … 54259.html

Board footer