You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I watched it too, just in a passive way (felt sick, couldn't concentrate on anything), wasn't rooting against it or in a Rachel Maddow mindset. 

That said, it was a trash talking show. Just bizarre that he goes on some victory lap to assauge his own ego?! Unprecendented. The guy really could be an egomaniac.  Having said that, he does appeal to alot of people. Mostly, he gives hope to the down & outs.  The people who live in rural areas, hunt, watch Nascar, drink $1.50 beers at the local down & out bar waiting for their turn to die, shopping at Walmart, yet are told "The great jobs are coming back" lol. It's amusing, partially sad.

Lemme recap:

Taxes will be cut.
Our Military will be incredibly built up.
ISIS will be defeated.
Great jobs will come back.
Taxes will be raised on products built overseas (yet at the same time the cost of products/inflation will not increase) so people will buy American.
Obamacare will be replaced with something even better.
A wall will be built.
Jobs will come to our inner cities.
Merry Christmas.

My prediction: he doesn't move the country much on social issues (gay marraige, abortion), but heavily goes Republican on tax cuts for the rich. It's what the Republicans needed at the right time, a wolf in sheeps clothing. Oh PS. there are no factory jobs coming back.

It's funny you mention this because I watched that town hall with Chris Hayes and Bernie Sanders and it is painfully clear democrats do not have a message for these voters. For how good Bernie can be at a rally, he's awful at a town hall. When he's pushed back on something he clearly gets irritated and ticked off. He kept on about the disparity in wealth, which is great, but that's all he had. He didn't have a simple message. I think that's Trump's appeal. He's a very simple speaker. When he's pressed on details he turns into a used car salesman. He's talented that way. When Bernie is pressed, he does state facts, even if diminishing the real price for his plans, he is honest that the economy will slow, taxes will go up, and unemployment wil rise. His thing is, just stick with him and it will all work out. Trump says he's going to create all this great stuff and it will be completely painless and won't cost anyone anything. Basically, he's a terrible, but very charismatic liar.

Bernie himself said so a month ago...he's embarrassed that the DP has forgotten how to talk to these people.

It still begs the question...why does it matter way more to be charismatic than it does to be honest?

Telling people he can get free college for everyone and raise the minimum wage to $15 without harming the economy and standard of living for millions doesn't count as being honest in my opinion.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

In Bernie's defense he is honest that taxes will go up, economy will slow and unemployment will rise initially with his plan, I think his estimations are way conservative and a little unrealistic. Which is why he was getting aggravated in that town hall. Trump outright lies.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Just watched the Trump speech. It is so obvious how he won. So much charisma. Dude owns that kind of shit. You can see how fired up the people get when he talks. And Paul Ryan even came in stage. Good stuff.

I watched it too, just in a passive way (felt sick, couldn't concentrate on anything), wasn't rooting against it or in a Rachel Maddow mindset. 

That said, it was a trash talking show. Just bizarre that he goes on some victory lap to assauge his own ego?! Unprecendented. The guy really could be an egomaniac.  Having said that, he does appeal to alot of people. Mostly, he gives hope to the down & outs.  The people who live in rural areas, hunt, watch Nascar, drink $1.50 beers at the local down & out bar waiting for their turn to die, shopping at Walmart, yet are told "The great jobs are coming back" lol. It's amusing, partially sad.

Lemme recap:

Taxes will be cut.
Our Military will be incredibly built up.
ISIS will be defeated.
Great jobs will come back.
Taxes will be raised on products built overseas (yet at the same time the cost of products/inflation will not increase) so people will buy American.
Obamacare will be replaced with something even better.
A wall will be built.
Jobs will come to our inner cities.
Merry Christmas.

My prediction: he doesn't move the country much on social issues (gay marraige, abortion), but heavily goes Republican on tax cuts for the rich. It's what the Republicans needed at the right time, a wolf in sheeps clothing. Oh PS. there are no factory jobs coming back.

Why will great jobs come back? Tariffs usually just make prices rise...it doesn't make jobs come back.

Those Carrier jobs...those are shit jobs, especially now after Trump bent over and took it in the ass and Pence watched.

A shit job is still a job I guess.

Once billionaires and corporations send their money over seas to avoid taxes...it's gone. Other countries incentivize this...and the US can't compete with that unless our workers are willing to be treated as shitty as they were in the 1890s.

Then that republican Teddy Roosevelt truly took the side of workers. Not this fake Republican who is touring the country, rubbing it in the face of all those that oppose.

But I digress...

I don't buy it...jobs aren't coming back unless our workers will take less.

See...when we agree on rules in this country about things like minimum wage, income tax brackets, and unions...the richest people in this country took their ball and went home. They held us all hostage until they get what they want. What they want is more for them and less for the worker.

Why you would ever trust anyone who thinks your value as a worker should be diminished because you are just a worker? A person who chooses to take his/her money out of the US economy - the economy that made the fortune in the first place - take it across the seas and hold the American worker hostage until the billionaires get what they want....

This system threw the American worker overboard 35 Fuckin years ago and y'all have been duped again.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Goto Target, or Walmart, or heck even Macys or Banana Republic.  Check out where all ALL the clothes are made?  China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan etc...   Why?? Because those countries pay $1/hour whereas we pay $7.50.  Multiply that times 1,000 employees are the differential is $6000 per hour!!  $48,000 per eight hour shift. They probably have two shifts so myb even $100,000 a day!!

Same thing with IPhones, PC's, HDTVs etc.   The innovation might arise in silicon valley, but it just isn't financially feasible for them to be built here.  No different than a $10 or $100 shirt.

The factory jobs aren't coming back.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's funny you mention this because I watched that town hall with Chris Hayes and Bernie Sanders and it is painfully clear democrats do not have a message for these voters. For how good Bernie can be at a rally, he's awful at a town hall. When he's pushed back on something he clearly gets irritated and ticked off. He kept on about the disparity in wealth, which is great, but that's all he had. He didn't have a simple message. I think that's Trump's appeal. He's a very simple speaker. When he's pressed on details he turns into a used car salesman. He's talented that way. When Bernie is pressed, he does state facts, even if diminishing the real price for his plans, he is honest that the economy will slow, taxes will go up, and unemployment wil rise. His thing is, just stick with him and it will all work out. Trump says he's going to create all this great stuff and it will be completely painless and won't cost anyone anything. Basically, he's a terrible, but very charismatic liar.

Bernie himself said so a month ago...he's embarrassed that the DP has forgotten how to talk to these people.

It still begs the question...why does it matter way more to be charismatic than it does to be honest?

Telling people he can get free college for everyone and raise the minimum wage to $15 without harming the economy and standard of living for millions doesn't count as being honest in my opinion.

To me...I never thought that would happen...I heard that "opportunity should be available to everyone."

Education is just one of those opportunities - one that you and I both took advantage of RF....

There is absolutely no such poverty as a lack of knowledge.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

To me...I never thought that would happen...I heard that "opportunity should be available to everyone."

Education is just one of those opportunities - one that you and I both took advantage of RF....

There is absolutely no such poverty as a lack of knowledge.

And I signed away 7 years of my life to get that education.  I have friends who took out loans and worked jobs to get their B.S.  I'll be the first to say college has become too expensive, largely because we hand them federal dollars and a dicked up loan industry with no oversight.  But as my facebook feed has reminded me non-stop the past week or so, trade skills are just as valuable if not more so than liberal arts degrees.  We don't need every 18 year old majoring in Psychology or Sociology, which is what is happening now.  They leave 50k+ in debt with no real skill.

A college education is great if you learn critical thinking skills and how to create a proper argument.  It's not great if all you learn to do is regurgitate talking points from a professor who has never left academia.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Good post Randall.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Apparently Trump demanded an apology from Romney to be considered SOS and Romney refused. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump had no intention of making him SOS but just wanted him to grovel.

Randall Flagg

misterID wrote:

Apparently Trump demanded an apology from Romney to be considered SOS and Romney refused. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump had no intention of making him SOS but just wanted him to grovel.

Source?

misterID

misterID wrote:

Board footer