You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Trump should add a loyalty tests to people wanting to enter the US. "Do you believe in freedom of speech and religion?"  "Do you believe people should be harmed if they offend the prophet Mohammed?"  Anyone who gives the wrong answer regardless of origin should be denied entry. Just like the Canadians who wanted to enter to protest in DC.

Couldn't they just lie? I mean, if you want to enter the U.S. for nefarious purposes, you're going to do what you can to do it.

It's just like a gun ban that never gets support from the right: Why put restrictions on buying guns when criminals will find a way to get them? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to defend themselves, the argument goes.

Same with a travel ban: Why pursue it when the really dangerous folks will find a way to get in the U.S.? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to save themselves.

How about this. Why should we admit these people to our country?

Because of international and domestic laws?

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Trump should add a loyalty tests to people wanting to enter the US. "Do you believe in freedom of speech and religion?"  "Do you believe people should be harmed if they offend the prophet Mohammed?"  Anyone who gives the wrong answer regardless of origin should be denied entry. Just like the Canadians who wanted to enter to protest in DC.

Couldn't they just lie? I mean, if you want to enter the U.S. for nefarious purposes, you're going to do what you can to do it.

It's just like a gun ban that never gets support from the right: Why put restrictions on buying guns when criminals will find a way to get them? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to defend themselves, the argument goes.

Same with a travel ban: Why pursue it when the really dangerous folks will find a way to get in the U.S.? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to save themselves.

If you care so much, do something to fix the problem. But none of you enlisted. None of you are willing to give up anything to make the world better.

I just find this outrage completely disingenuous.

You don't know the first thing about most of us. You certainly don't know what I do with my time, money and possessions. Why does enlisting have to be the bar you set for people to have a say in what policies America pursues. We have the right to criticize our elected officials and their policies because we simply are Americans. No, I never enlisted. My father did. My grandfather did. I did not have to. I was able to get into college, thankfully, and work while doing so to get out of college without debt. That doesn't mean I forfeit my rights because I never wore a uniform.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

How about this. Why should we admit these people to our country?

Because of international and domestic laws?

There is no such thing as international law. And what law says we have to admit Syrian refugees?

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

If you care so much, do something to fix the problem. But none of you enlisted. None of you are willing to give up anything to make the world better.

You don't know the first thing about most of us. You certainly don't know what I do with my time, money and possessions. Why does enlisting have to be the bar you set for people to have a say in what policies America pursues. We have the right to criticize our elected officials and their policies because we simply are Americans. No, I never enlisted. My father did. My grandfather did. I did not have to. I was able to get into college, thankfully, and work while doing so to get out of college without debt. That doesn't mean I forfeit my rights because I never wore a uniform.

So what do you do to make the world better?  Kudos to your ancestors. That has dick to do with you. My point is you aren't willing to do anything to enact your world view. You think because you have an opinion, you should express it and the powers that be should consider it as valid or more so than others.

All you care about is your own personal safety and security.  Just like me. Just like everyone else. My point is what are you willing to do to make Syria a better place since you claim to care. If the answer is sign a change.org petition, you're not doing anything.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So what do you do to make the world better?  Kudos to your ancestors. That has dick to do with you. My point is you aren't willing to do anything to enact your world view. You think because you have an opinion, you should express it and the powers that he should consider it as valid or more so than others.

All you care about is your own personal safety and security.  Just like me. Just like everyone else. My point is what are you willing to do to make Syria a better place since you claim to care. If the answer is sign a change.org petition, you're not doing anything.

Again, you don't know me or what I do, so your ranting is misguided. My answer is I donate my money to organizations that I feel support my views. I volunteer my time in my community, specifically my local schools. I donate my possessions to organizations on a weekly basis: specifically the Purple Heart Foundation (http://www.purpleheartfoundation.org/donate) and American Cancer Society. I engage my local political leaders and attend my local government meetings. I'd be willing to bet no one on this board does that. It is routine, boring shit.

I don't sign online petitions or that stuff. Money and action talks.

What do you do?

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

So what do you do to make the world better?  Kudos to your ancestors. That has dick to do with you. My point is you aren't willing to do anything to enact your world view. You think because you have an opinion, you should express it and the powers that he should consider it as valid or more so than others.

Again, you don't know me or what I do, so your ranting is misguided. My answer is I donate my money to organizations that I feel support my views. I volunteer my time in my community, specifically my local schools. I donate my possessions to organizations on a weekly basis: specifically the Purple Heart Foundation (http://www.purpleheartfoundation.org/donate) and American Cancer Society. I engage my local political leaders and attend my local government meetings. I'd be willing to bet no one on this board does that. It is routine, boring shit.

What do you do?

So you're not doing anything to help the people in Syria?  No other refugees? 

I'm not doing anything to help refugees, because I don't care.  But I donate money to the Shriners Hospital and the ASPCA, because I care about sick kids and dogs.  But we're not talking about domestic shit.  We're talking about refugees.  So the answer is you're not willing to do anything to help them, and neither am I or anyone else.  So quit the disingenuous concern for people you really don't give two shits about because they're on the other side of the world and are just as real to you and I as Frodo and Sam.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

What do you do?

I'm not doing anything to help refugees, because I don't care.  But I donate money to the Shriners Hospital and the ASPCA, because I care about sick kids and dogs.  But we're not talking about domestic shit.  We're talking about refugees.  So the answer is you're not willing to do anything to help them, and neither am I or anyone else.  So quit the disingenuous concern for people you really don't give two shits about because they're on the other side of the world and are just as real to you and I as Frodo and Sam.

Well, you're wrong again. My money goes to places that support my views, and that includes aid to refugees.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:

What do you do?

Well, you're wrong again. My money goes to places that support my views, and that includes aid to refugees.

Well money isn't going to stop violence. Only guns do that. I spent 12 months miles from the Syrian border and helped secure the entire area now controlled by ISIS. So I did my part actually dodging bullets and killing the bad guys that harm the people you claim to care about. Look up Tal'afar. Look up Mosul. Look up Badoush prison. I've been there.  I'm not interested in going back or sending other Americans to do what Syrians and Iraqis should be doing.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Well money isn't going to stop violence. Only guns do that. I spent 12 months miles from the Syrian border and helped secure the entire area now controlled by ISIS. So I did my part actually dodging bullets and killing the bad guys that harm the people you claim to care about. Look up Tal'afar. Look up Mosul. Look up Badoush prison. I've been there.  I'm not interested in going back or sending other Americans to do what Syrians and Iraqis should be doing.

Well, that's what I'm offering. I'm not going to actually dodge bullets, and I don't think that's required to "claim to care."

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Well money isn't going to stop violence. Only guns do that.

facepalm.jpg

Board footer