You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

https://youtu.be/nPo2B-vjZ28

I liked this commercial.

Yeah, I thought it was very tasteful. They weren't allowed to show "the wall" during the broadcast.

http://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania/ … rump-https

84 Lumber pres explains

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They were literally trying to recruit illegal immigrants to go to work for them. What a tool.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

They were literally trying to recruit illegal immigrants to go to work for them. What a tool.

Didn't get that message at all. I thought it was a pro legal immigration ad saying we will always welcome those with a will to better themselves or something

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This is what I'm talking about.

". Michael Brunner, the CEO of Brunnerworks, the agency that created the spot, said its purpose was threefold: To generate awareness of the company, create pride in its workforce and fill jobs. “We’ve got over 400 positions that we’re looking to fill at all levels, at all capacities,” Brunner told KDKA, the CBS affiliate in Pittsburgh."

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I guess you can question the effectiveness of the ad tho.  Sure, the weekend warrior fixing up his basement might be inspired to go and buy some supplies for $1000 to fix up their yuppie McMansion. but I saw online a builder scan a receipt for $25,000 saying he'll never buy there again, due to that industry especially being undercut by other contractors picking up illegal day laborers at Home Depot.

On the one hand, it definitely created the buzz and got them the name recognition they wanted (for better or worse) and put them into the big leagues with Home Depot & Lowes ( I gotta admit, I didn't even know they were a store, I just thought they were a wood brand sold at the big box stores. ). I think it definitely leap frogged them into that stratosphere. On the flip side, do they have the capital to ride out any potential backlash. Builders of new construction suddenly switching due to party alliance, and I would guess alot of these Building contractor CEOs are likely millionaire Republicans, I dunno. I'm sure they're not the ones "buying the wood", but I'm sure they picked up the phone Monday morning and say 'Yeah' or 'Neah' as to whether they buy from them or not.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Didn't get that message at all. I thought it was a pro legal immigration ad saying we will always welcome those with a will to better themselves or something

Yea, cause legal immigrants are known for walking through unpaved terrain, crossing rivers, climbing on trains, rationing water as they walk through the desert.

It was clearly a beacon to illegals that while the government may put up a wall, there's plenty of people willing to pay Jorge down at Home Depot to do their patio for 2k less than the legit dude.

Honestly it's kind of offensive to portray illegal immigrants as people leaving abject poverty living in squalor. Sure some fit that mold, but it inaccurately portrays the conditions most are leaving.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I guess you can question the effectiveness of the ad tho.  Sure, the weekend warrior fixing up his basement might be inspired to go and buy some supplies for $1000 to fix up their yuppie McMansion. but I saw online a builder scan a receipt for $25,000 saying he'll never buy there again, due to that industry especially being undercut by other contractors picking up illegal day laborers at Home Depot.

On the one hand, it definitely created the buzz and got them the name recognition they wanted (for better or worse) and put them into the big leagues with Home Depot & Lowes ( I gotta admit, I didn't even know they were a store, I just thought they were a wood brand sold at the big box stores. ). I think it definitely leap frogged them into that stratosphere. On the flip side, do they have the capital to ride out any potential backlash. Builders of new construction suddenly switching due to party alliance, and I would guess alot of these Building contractor CEOs are likely millionaire Republicans, I dunno. I'm sure they're not the ones "buying the wood", but I'm sure they picked up the phone Monday morning and say 'Yeah' or 'Neah' as to whether they buy from them or not.

I am an 84 Lumber customer. I have been buying from them since 2004. I have literally spent millions with them. I have had the same lumber salesman the entire time. They employ a lot of Americans and help create a lot of jobs for suppliers to 84 Lumber. They are privately owned by a Woman. They are as American as it gets. I buy from them because of my relationship and service. I don't plan on switching to anyone. They aren't competition to lowes and Home Depot. They are more for commercial folks like me and Home Depot and Lowes (I buy from those two as well) are more retail.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I was going to ask you about them SG, I remember you saying you were in construction. Yeah I checked out their website and they seem more industrial for large contracting jobs, which I think HD & Lowes dabble in, but their revenue is likely largely from ham & eggers & weekend warriors doing fix it ups and small general contractor gigs. Seems like a well run, family owned business which is good. Non-Corporate. There's a few large companies like that in PA,  Yuengling (beer, owner came out in support of Trump) and Wawa (love Wawa. Awesome quick stop stores)

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

I was going to ask you about them SG, I remember you saying you were in construction. Yeah I checked out their website and they seem more industrial for large contracting jobs, which I think HD & Lowes dabble in, but their revenue is likely largely from ham & eggers & weekend warriors doing fix it ups and small general contractor gigs. Seems like a well run, family owned business which is good. Non-Corporate. There's a few large companies like that in PA,  Yuengling (beer, owner came out in support of Trump) and Wawa (love Wawa. Awesome quick stop stores)

You live on the East side of the state.  In Pittsburgh they just have sheetz.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

You live on the East side of the state.  In Pittsburgh they just have sheetz.

What do you mean "sheetz". I love Pittsburgh.

Board footer