You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Really, as someone who adores history to my own detriment sometimes, it is really sad to see what FDR to Reagan helped build, as The American President is no longer the leader of the free world.

I don't get Trump's obsessive adoration for Steve Bannon.

How can you adore history to your own detriment? lol

Are you saying the American ceased to be the leader of the free world after Reagan?

Confederate monuments and graves should he protected, IMO, just not in state houses.

No, I'm using Reagan as an example in a continued establishment of world leadership.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Really, as someone who adores history to my own detriment sometimes, it is really sad to see what FDR to Reagan helped build, as The American President is no longer the leader of the free world.

He's not?  Who replaced him?

We'll see who steps up. America is not a leader anymore.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Because Trump pulled us out of a non binding deal that wasn't in our country's best interest?  No one is saying that we should start dumping sewage into our rivers or go back to burning high sulfur coal. But your boy Obama tried to prevent us from becoming more energy independent by halting keystone and thinking he could permanently end drilling off Alaska.

Let's see what alternative he offers before we cry the sky is falling. Europe loved Obama, even as he advocated "we lead from behind" (like that's a thing). Not a single European country can tell us to fuck off. They still need us a hell of a lot more than we need them. Especially since we subsidize their collapsing welfare state through our defense spending.

I for one think his comments that he was elected to support the people of Pittsburgh and not Paris were outstanding. It's nice to have a leader who values his own citizens more than the editorial board of The NY Times.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Because Trump pulled us out of a non binding deal that wasn't in our country's best interest?  No one is saying that we should start dumping sewage into our rivers or go back to burning high sulfur coal. But your boy Obama tried to prevent us from becoming more energy independent by halting keystone and thinking he could permanently end drilling off Alaska.

Let's see what alternative he offers before we cry the sky is falling. Europe loved Obama, even as he advocated "we lead from behind" (like that's a thing). Not a single European country can tell us to fuck off. They still need us a hell of a lot more than we need them. Especially since we subsidize their collapsing welfare state through our defense spending.

I for one think his comments that he was elected to support the people of Pittsburgh and not Paris were outstanding. It's nice to have a leader who values his own citizens more than the editorial board of The NY Times.

Sure...it's nice to say things that sound good in the moment that amount to nothing but hollow words.

And I love that gross over simplification about why obama opposed the keystone.

Let's not forget about the 12 shit paying jobs it produced. Probably $25k/year jobs.

All the while some fat piece of shit in a New York high rise whose hands are softer than a baby's butt makes millions while America becomes "energy independent"

Now that's 'Murcia

ID is right, America is no longer a leader. Not just because trump left the agreement...it's because Trump isn't respected by other world leaders. If you think coercion and strong arming is leadership, then keep defending him.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

His disastrous foreign trip where the world leaders have said they can no longer depend on America to lead. He's only beholden to Russia, it seems. He's a self proclaimed nationalist. His business counsel has fallen apart today because of this decision.

Pittsburgh supported Hillary, and the mayor rejected his statement.

""Pittsburgh is the example," Peduto said. "We were that city that China is like today where the smoke was so, filled the air so much, that the streetlights would stay on 24 hours."
Peduto told CNN he would issue an executive order on Friday pledging Pittsburgh would follow through on carbon reduction goals.
On Twitter after Trump's speech, Peduto pushed back against the President invoking Pittsburgh.
"The United States joins Syria, Nicaragua & Russia (actually, Russia is still in the agreement) in deciding not to participate with world's Paris Agreement. It's now up to cities to lead," Peduto tweeted."

Those pipelines are leaking. We can invest more into bio diesel which would truly make us energy independent.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

Sure...it's nice to say things that sound good in the moment that amount to nothing but hollow words.

And I love that gross over simplification about why obama opposed the keystone.

Let's not forget about the 12 shit paying jobs it produced. Probably $25k/year jobs.

All the while some fat piece of shit in a New York high rise whose hands are softer than a baby's butt makes millions while America becomes "energy independent"

Now that's 'Murcia

ID is right, America is no longer a leader. Not just because trump left the agreement...it's because Trump isn't respected by other world leaders. If you think coercion and strong arming is leadership, then keep defending him.

I just don't see any other leader stepping up.  They're all too small and they're already doing what Trump is proposing - working in their bests interests.  Europe is only relevant as a standard bearer of human comfort and civility.  They're only desirable because in their major cities, it's quite comfortable and cultured.  I can't think of any other city so docile and refined as Paris.  It's a world class city that still has its own culture and isn't a concrete jungle like NYC or Hong Kong.  France's buying power is in the top 5, so of course smaller nations want to enter business partnerships and diplomacy with them.  But they're not a military power to be feared or an economy so powerful it can single handedly swing the balance of power. 

Regardless of your opposition to it, force projection is what keeps the world in line.  It's why China isn't taking over other countries.  It's why until Obama, Russia refused to provoke the US and the world order.   Right or wrong, the war in Iraq proved our force projection.  It accomplished what Vietnam didn't and embarrassed us for.  We, along with support from Britain and Australia, our closest allies, completely decimated an entire nation from their military, government and economy and rebuilt them to stability.  Iraq didn't completely fall after Barry pulled out, but it created ISIS and destabilized their entire country.  Obama objectively weakened our force projection and as a direct result, the world has suffered because he wasn't a leader.  He was an academic.  He relegated himself to the same status as Merkel or May, to the detriment of world order.

If you think any action is going to come from this from the rest of the world, you're wrong.  I didn't agree with Trump's airstrike in Syria.  I still don't.  But it accomplished the goal of telling the world that Obama is gone.  America will punch you in the fucking mouth if you fuck around.  That there are consequences for bad behavior.  Slapping sanctions and giving speeches resonates with the comfortable public.  The people that pretend America isn't a sheep dog in a field of wolves and sheep. 

So no, I don't see someone else stepping up.  Passionate speeches with no action behind them isn't leadership.  It's talk.  We had 8 years of that and the bad guys knew it.  Trump may be a fucking goofball, but there's not a single thing you can claim he's doing that he doesn't thoughtfully believe to be in the best interest of America, even at the detriment to other countries.  The EU will role their eyes, but they'll attend the fucking dinners, shake hands and make sure they don't bite the hand that not only feeds it, but keeps it safe.

misterID

misterID wrote:

With all due respect, that is complete bullshit.

Obama treated Russia like the little bitch it is, he didn't grovel and lick Putin's asshole. Trump inherited everything Obama didn't.

Not only don't I think Trump believes in anything he's doing, I sincerely doubt he fully grasps what he's doing. Bullet point, one page ideology is pretty flimsy and short on details.

French President Macron:  "we will not renegotiate a less ambitious deal... There is no plan b, there is no planet b...' Make the planet great again'

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

America will punch you in the fucking mouth if you fuck around.

Only when it's in America's best interest...as in...when there's something in it for this country to gain...

people get killed all the time...in this country and all over the world...we created cute little words like terrorist and we even attached certain religions and countries to it....in the end it's all bullshit...sooner or later every one gets their turn to shoot the gun...

the man in charge of our guns is an immoral piece of shit...therefore I don't believe anything done in his judgement is moral...and anyone he punches in the mouth is purely for his ego and his bravado...Trump doesn't give a shit about Pittsburgh...Trump doesn't give a shit about you...blowing up Syria impressed nobody...and scared....nobody....as you can see....it's been pretty violent since he did that...

I think Christians might be the most violent people on the planet. But it's okay....cuz 'Murica

Regardless of your opposition to it, force projection is what keeps the world in line...Right or wrong, the war in Iraq proved our force projection.

This is what they tell you right before they cut your healthcare, and your medicare and your pension and your social security....but hell, at least we can say we took over that piece of shit Iraq....man that has effected my life in such a positive way. Now I don't have worry, do I?

I just don't see any other leader stepping up.

That's because you never will...you simply refuse to see leaders not back down when Trump tries to do his 11 year old posturing with his handshakes and shoving people like a bully on a playground....

RF...so long as you continue to believe that the only things that matter are bulging economies and big guns...then you have your man...you should've voted for him.

To me....he's the farthest thing from a leader....if you thought Obama divided people...look at what you have in front of you...

Every time Trump 'does something' militarily...there will be massive terrorist attacks....you can stick your head in the sand all you want. You can champion the US for blowing shit up and rally against 'terrorists,' but you can't be that surprised anymore when they retaliate. And when this all escalates to the point of another war...like it always does...I'll try not to say I told ya so...

Another war to expand US business opportunities....

Is there a McDonald's in Baghdad yet?

Randall Flagg

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/us-j … 59119.html

So for consistency sake, let's quit using this bullshit number to address jobs.  What is the real number of employment age people who are looking for work (or should be looking for work), and what percent are working full time.  That's all that matters.  They should start focusing on the amount of people kicked off welfare and forced to get a job or provided one by their local government.  I never understood how someone could sit on their ass and get a paycheck when they could be cleaning up trash in the local park or highway.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps-l … -he-619943

Not that Trump cares or will ever care....

Board footer