You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

Yeah, they kind of have to, like when our bone headed president comes out declares there was a terrorist attack in Manila when there wasn't one.

I agree, Islamic terrorism and Christian obstructionism. I think if any American Christian politician makes one decision/vote/bill based on their faith they are disqualified from holding office and should resign. Agree?

So long as we ageee no politician who relies on science they don't understand or appeal to some ideology they can't defend with logic. So any politician advocating a $15 minimum wage or free college for all should resign, agree?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So long as we ageee no politician who relies on science they don't understand or appeal to some ideology they can't defend with logic. So any politician advocating a $15 minimum wage or free college for all should resign, agree?

At least the benefits of a $15 mimimum wage and free college are debatable, religious dogma is - by definition - not. Therefore, I would say: any politician that invokes god as a reason for policy decisions should indeed resign immediately, whereas any politician "advocating a $15 minimum wage or free college for all" needs to back up their claims with statistics and logical arguments. Economics is not hard science, so the debate needs to be had; religion is dogmatic by nature, which is why we should have zero tolerance for religious arguments from those holding office.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

ID we seem to all agree on the religion thing. Can we all agree there is a bigger problem with the Muslim Faith than the Jewish or Christian faith and stop trying to create some bullshit false equivalency like Mitch and MSNBC likes to push?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

All religions are flawed if you are dealing with evangelists, zealots and radicals

Christians have done some pretty fucked up stuff over the course if history as well

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

ID we seem to all agree on the religion thing. Can we all agree there is a bigger problem with the Muslim Faith than the Jewish or Christian faith and stop trying to create some bullshit false equivalency like Mitch and MSNBC likes to push?

That's not exactly my point...my point is what good does it do to divide and organize terror atracks based on religious affiliation? And if we in insist on doing that, then you have to have a category for Christian terrorism as well as Muslim or Islam or Jewish.

But even more, the dangers of these categories lead to over-generalization. Which leads to fear mongering. Which then leads one person to force another to put yourself in a category so we know for sure whose side you're on.

Didnt you just ask muslims to no longer use the word Muslim?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

That's not exactly my point...my point is what good does it do to divide and organize terror atracks based on religious affiliation? And if we in insist on doing that, then you have to have a category for Christian terrorism as well as Muslim or Islam or Jewish.

But even more, the dangers of these categories lead to over-generalization. Which leads to fear mongering. Which then leads one person to force another to put yourself in a category so we know for sure whose side you're on.

Yes they need to rebrand and let the crazy mother fuckers keep the Muslim name.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes they need to rebrand and let the crazy mother fuckers keep the Muslim name.

'This is exactly my point...90 percent of my post was ignored in your response.

But what makes the incident today just an act of violence and not terrorism? Why can't we call him a Christian terrorist?

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This is so disingenuous. Where are the Jewish and Christian terrorists?  Who are these people killing in the name of Christ or Jehova?

These terrorist acts are being done by Muslims in the name of Allah. That's the key difference. Dylan Roof was probably a Protestant, but he didn't kill for Jesus. He killed for white supremacy. So why don't you defend the KKK and remind us that not every Neo Nazi shoots up a black church?

Worse, these people are almost universally 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. They "flee" persecution, setup shop in an enclave isolated from the people who actually built and defined their nations, then when they do something horrible you yell "he was just as British/American as Queen Elizabeth/Trump".

It's a completely dishonest way of communicating.

I don't think there's an answer. These people don't want to be western. They have no interest in abandoning their culture and biases like the millions who left their homes in Europe and migrated to North America. And you'd rather pretend Christianity and Judaism are just as concerning as Islam.  It wouldn't be constitutional to take the necessary steps in America, and Europe thinks they're "strong" holding up peace signs the day after they're attacked.

But Trump is the asshole because he wants to stop the flow of migrants from the regions most likely to spawn extremists. You seriously need to leave your bubble. You only get to exist in it because men braver and smarter than you sacrificed to create it. Once it pops, you'll be woefully unprepared for what comes next. All your protesting and signs won't matter once that happens.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This is so disingenuous. Where are the Jewish and Christian terrorists?  Who are these people killing in the name of Christ or Jehova?

These terrorist acts are being done by Muslims in the name of Allah. That's the key difference. Dylan Roof was probably a Protestant, but he didn't kill for Jesus. He killed for white supremacy. So why don't you defend the KKK and remind us that not every Neo Nazi shoots up a black church?

Worse, these people are almost universally 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. They "flee" persecution, setup shop in an enclave isolated from the people who actually built and defined their nations, then when they do something horrible you yell "he was just as British/American as Queen Elizabeth/Trump".

It's a completely dishonest way of communicating.

I don't think there's an answer. These people don't want to be western. They have no interest in abandoning their culture and biases like the millions who left their homes in Europe and migrated to North America. And you'd rather pretend Christianity and Judaism are just as concerning as Islam.  It wouldn't be constitutional to take the necessary steps in America, and Europe thinks they're "strong" holding up peace signs the day after they're attacked.

But Trump is the asshole because he wants to stop the flow of migrants from the regions most likely to spawn extremists. You seriously need to leave your bubble. You only get to exist in it because men braver and smarter than you sacrificed to create it. Once it pops, you'll be woefully unprepared for what comes next. All your protesting and signs won't matter once that happens.

I'm so GENUINELY exhausted by your overly simplistic interpretations.

You need for things to be black and white don't you? 

Are you saying someone who is Christian needs to overtly cry out loud ...."in the name of Christ" to make it Christian terrorism?

Would that make things simpler for you?

Do I also really have to explain why retaliation is inevitable on either side of a conflict?

Ya know what makes me brave, RF? It's that  willing to share my opinion when I know it's unpopular. There are things I'm willing to fight and die for...but I find it difficult to align myself with a group of people in this country who attack the things I care about.

For the record... I am an atheist. I don't care for any of the choices.

Randall Flagg

The only one being simplistic is you.  You ignore ideology and say "THIS PERSON IS IN A BOX, SO THE BOX MUST BE A PROBLEM."  Pat yourself on the back for being an athiest.  You're still a member of the church of climate change. 

Islam is not a western religion.  It had no part is shaping or creating the West.  It's as foreign as they come.  We're not talking about brown people who speak spanish.  We're talking about people who genuinely believe they go to heaven if they kill an infidel.  It's a core tenant of their faith.  Even in countries like the UK and US, the overwhelming majority of Muslims hold beliefs that are at direct odds with egalitarianism.  You get in an uproar if some baker refuses to make a cake for a gay couple.  But you ignore that almost all Muslims are universally opposed to gay marriage and would refuse to make that same cake.  But somehow the videos of the Islamic baker refusing to make the gay wedding cake don't make it to court or the nightly news. 

You want to pretend it's an apples to apples comparison.  It's not.

Board footer