You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

If Morning Joe could design a more unhelpful tactic to spur Trump to do something to get some kind of gun reform he couldn't have done a better job.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Should we raise the age to buy a gun to 25????

My problem is that if we charge someone as an adult at 18 then it needs to even out. Make someone an adult at 21. Let someone buy an AR15 at 21, passes a background check, criminal and psychological, also purchase a special license that demands training and must be reupped every 2-3 years.

I would be fine with that.

This is my plan

Maybe someone already said this, but effective immediately anyone under the age of 25 (or an age older than HS where we feel one is more emotionally stable etc, ID says 21) cannot purchase, possess or carry a fire arm unless hunting, etc with a licensed gun owner 25 or older.

This will wipe out the angry teenager that goes to academy sports. Any kid that grabs his family’s gun to threaten or cause harm will result in the the family going to jail. Period.

You can’t rent a car or hotel room until 25. Apply the same for guns. This could help while keeping the 2nd amendment alive and well.

Or this could be a stupid idea. Would have prevented this one (or made it harder anyway).

Approximately the same amount of people are killed by drunk drivers as guns annually.  Are we going to raise the drinking age to 25 too?  The driving age? This is what I mean by perspective.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

My problem is that if we charge someone as an adult at 18 then it needs to even out. Make someone an adult at 21. Let someone buy an AR15 at 21, passes a background check, criminal and psychological, also purchase a special license that demands training and must be reupped every 2-3 years.

This is my plan

Maybe someone already said this, but effective immediately anyone under the age of 25 (or an age older than HS where we feel one is more emotionally stable etc, ID says 21) cannot purchase, possess or carry a fire arm unless hunting, etc with a licensed gun owner 25 or older.

This will wipe out the angry teenager that goes to academy sports. Any kid that grabs his family’s gun to threaten or cause harm will result in the the family going to jail. Period.

You can’t rent a car or hotel room until 25. Apply the same for guns. This could help while keeping the 2nd amendment alive and well.

Or this could be a stupid idea. Would have prevented this one (or made it harder anyway).

Approximately the same amount of people are killed by drunk drivers as guns annually.  Are we going to raise the drinking age to 25 too?  The driving age? This is what I mean by perspective.

You have to take a test to drive

You have to be 25 to rent a car and rent a hotel room

At 18, most are not mature enough to handle a gun.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

This is my plan

No bans, and no punishing innocent people.

Raising the age isn’t a ban.

If you leave a gun at home, UNLOCKED where your fuckup kid can take that gun to school and murder people, yes, you are complicit and should be punished as well. This will force fuckers to be responsible with their shit.

Randall Flagg

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This is my plan

If they can’t handle a gun based on your opinion, should they be able to enlist? Drive a car?  Vote?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

In addition to what SG said car insurance rates drop drastically once you turn 25.

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:

In addition to what SG said car insurance rates drop drastically once you turn 25.

It is a right in this country to own a gun. It’s not a right to drive, drink a beer, enlist, etc. How do you think SCOTUS is going to respond when you put an arbitrary age on firearm ownership?  I’m not saying it can’t be done, most states have 21 as the age limit for handgun purchase. But the courts require a genuine reason and less than 1% of all firearms deaths despite being 33% of all firearms owned isn’t going to pass that. Whereas 90% of all murders involve a handgun.

I’m sorry, you’re all being irrational. None of you want to do anything about people and focus on guns you don’t understand. It’s the very definition of a mob mentality. That’s why nothing gets done. The loudest and angriest are almost always the least informed and that’s why you know who hasn’t offered a single idea in this thread.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If they can’t handle a gun based on your opinion, should they be able to enlist? Drive a car?  Vote?

When you enlist you are TRAINED to used the gun and you have a more more discipline and shit around you and you are free. You follow orders. What a silly comment. But if you like, push the age to enlist to 21. I am cool with that too then. At 25 you are much more mature than 18. I don’t think raising the age would get much resistance at all.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

It is a right in this country to own a gun. It’s not a right to drive, drink a beer, enlist, etc. How do you think SCOTUS is going to respond when you put an arbitrary age on firearm ownership?  I’m not saying it can’t be done, most states have 21 as the age limit for handgun purchase. But the courts require a genuine reason and less than 1% of all firearms deaths despite being 33% of all firearms owned isn’t going to pass that. Whereas 90% of all murders involve a handgun.

I’m sorry, you’re all being irrational. None of you want to do anything about people and focus on guns you don’t understand. It’s the very definition of a mob mentality. That’s why nothing gets done. The loudest and angriest are almost always the least informed and that’s why you know who hasn’t offered a single idea in this thread.

Only in America do we think it is normal a 19 year old can buy such a killing machine like an AR-15 then talk about his rights then say “oh well” when he kills some folks.  Why are you against raising the age? Your son can use a gun as long as he is with you under my policy. Clearly we have a Fucking issue. I have guns, I support your right to a gun. But I simply don’t trust our troubled youth with them especially when people can’t fully diagnose someone as a fuckup.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I’m sorry, you’re all being irrational. None of you want to do anything about people and focus on guns you don’t understand.

Are you just ignoring posts or being an ass?

I clearly said dudes with a past involving domestic abuse should be red-flagged for a gun purchase.

I clearly said I'd like money to be earmarked for mental health services.

I clearly did not propose anything that would infringe on 2A?

Don't paint with the broad brush "you're all being irrational."

Board footer