You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

Welp, my son’s high school had a threat from a student who said he was gonna “shoot up” the school during a pep rally Friday in the gym. All the victims in one nice tight spot.

School says it’s being handled. Parents already vowing to keep kids home.

Apparently the student named in the threat is autistic and has an IEP. School says it could be case of cyber bullying the special needs student.

What would you do?

Can’t get any good answers from school.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 134 

Re: US Politics Thread

Statistically it’s nothing, but could you live with yourself in the one in a million chance it did happen?

The context of the speech needs to be honestly looked at. Is this kid a real threat or just an idiot looking for attention?  If he’s for real autistic or on psych meds, and has access to guns, I’d demand a mental health professional attest to his safety before ever letting him back in.

Don’t want to ruin his life over it if it was bullshit, but he certainly needs to be made an example of. Suspension and professional evaluation for sure. Possible expulsion for the rest of the year if they really wanted to bust him, but if he’s really special ed or a troubled kid, you don’t want to push him out to external influences either.

Tough call. Such threats can’t be tolerated. But we can’t be stupid and go after kids like Mitch’s daughter, or even teenagers depending on the context. “I’ll snipe your ass” in the context of Call of Duty means dick. “I’ll snipe your ass” as in I’ll shoot you from a distance out of your line of site, for pissing me off needs to be taken seriously.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

This dude wasn’t even an armed teacher but wanted no part of this. I’m not sold on arming just anyone at schools, and this is why. It has to be police or military, in my opinion.


bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Statistically it’s nothing, but could you live with yourself in the one in a million chance it did happen?

The context of the speech needs to be honestly looked at. Is this kid a real threat or just an idiot looking for attention?  If he’s for real autistic or on psych meds, and has access to guns, I’d demand a mental health professional attest to his safety before ever letting him back in.

Don’t want to ruin his life over it if it was bullshit, but he certainly needs to be made an example of. Suspension and professional evaluation for sure. Possible expulsion for the rest of the year if they really wanted to bust him, but if he’s really special ed or a troubled kid, you don’t want to push him out to external influences either.

Tough call. Such threats can’t be tolerated. But we can’t be stupid and go after kids like Mitch’s daughter, or even teenagers depending on the context. “I’ll snipe your ass” in the context of Call of Duty means dick. “I’ll snipe your ass” as in I’ll shoot you from a distance out of your line of site, for pissing me off needs to be taken seriously.

These are good points. The situation is fluid and I don’t have a lot of details. Problem is, school is over for the day so what we know is probably all we’re going to know.

I talked to former colleagues at the Chicago Tribune and the reporters there had already been tipped off and they have deemed it unfounded.

Flagg, my wife said something similar to you: If this is just a prank played on this kid, using his name, that’s the kind of bullying that could push him to lash out.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 134 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

This dude wasn’t even an armed teacher but wanted no part of this. I’m not sold on arming just anyone at schools, and this is why. It has to be police or military, in my opinion.


[/embed]

Sherriff’s are police. This man is a coward if it’s true he was aware of the shooter and didn’t try to stop him. That’s his sole purpose. I recognize the fear, but this man is a trained officer of the law and sworn to protect civilians. Absolute disgrace of the utmost. He should be publicly shamed. If there’s not a law for this, I think there should be.

I see this as even more reason to allow teachers to choose to be armed. Almost like the federal air Marshall’s. I’d fully support a federal program that thoroughly trained a teacher in their summer to carry a firearm and respond to any threat. Angry father, homeless man, school shooter, whatever. Teachers that pass the training and background check get a stimulus and or/huge tax break. Soldiers are paid tax free in a combat zone. I don’t see why that couldn’t apply to teachers who undergo this special training.

This shows more than ever you can’t ever rely on the police for your safety and why the 2nd amendment was so important. You never know when evil or harm will manifest and you have a human right to be able to defend yourself. I’m not saying that means ar-15s, but it means guns.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

You gotta check the details of that story about the resource officer. Unreal. He literally did nothing, the sheriff says.

Also, I found a reference to my son’s school threat on Twitter.


bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

Flagg, I didn’t know school resource officers were actually sworn officers. I’ve never looked into it. That’s really quite disturbing in this case.

I could see someone filing lawsuits over his inaction.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

You gotta check the details of that story about the resource officer. Unreal. He literally did nothing, the sheriff says.

Also, I found a reference to my son’s school threat on Twitter.


[/embed]

Kudos for the sheriff actually telling us the truth, unlike Las Vegas. I respect that.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Welp, my son’s high school had a threat from a student who said he was gonna “shoot up” the school during a pep rally Friday in the gym. All the victims in one nice tight spot.

School says it’s being handled. Parents already vowing to keep kids home.

Apparently the student named in the threat is autistic and has an IEP. School says it could be case of cyber bullying the special needs student.

What would you do?

Can’t get any good answers from school.

Needs to be expelled. Sorry. No tolerance for this chit.

metallex78
 Rep: 192 

Re: US Politics Thread

metallex78 wrote:

This is funny... hahaha

But, it does really put it into perspective

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB