You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Is this not how trump behaves? I want a president that i feel doesn’t view me as the enemy. That would be a huge help!!

My president attacks me and my people everyday....why shouldn’t i be hostile?

Trump isn't preventing anyone from speaking out against him or expressing a different viewpoint by physically assaulting them or sending death threats.  That doesn't mean I think his behavior, his attacks on the media, or the chants of "lock her up" are in any way acceptable or becoming of the President.  But he's the rightfully elected leader and was done so in part, because of his behavior.  He's not in violation of the law.  Antifa is.

Trump does attempt to prevent people from speaking out against him.

I’m thoroughly convinced that if given the power to do so...he would.

So is he or isn’t he?  You say you’re convinced if he could, he would. So do you agree he’s not preventing people? That the network media can’t be perceived as openly hostile to him?  I’m not even addressing if the hostility is deserved. Just that Maxine Waters can call for his impeachment, and call for he and his staff to be harassed, and Trump is either powerless to stop her, or chooses not to. Either way, he’s not dispatching Soldiers to silence, through threat of force, his political opponents. Kathy Griffin posed with his severed head and outside of a meeting with the Secret Service, was no harmed or impacted by the government in any way.

That’s not true with antifa. They are dispatching soldiers to use violence to silence their political opponents. If they were standing up to Stormtroopers or real, lynching members of the KKK, I might turn a blind eye to the illegality of it. Because those groups are dangerous and do harm people. But not only are they not facing off against real Nazis, the kind that hurt people, but rather doughie bigots who couldn’t hold a job at McDonald’s and haven’t assaulted anyone, they’re labeling conservative protests as part of that false Nazi label. And as shown in Portland, instigating violence in an attempt to silence them. They’re angry and they’re looking for a fight. So they label anyone they disagree with as a fascist, and show up to crack skulls.

That kind of behavior isn’t acceptable nor can it be condoned. Comparing this behavior to Trump’s offensive rhetoric is disingenuous.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I think that tarnishing the left with the sentiment that they’re all the extreme side of Antifa types is like tarnishing all right/conservative types as the alt-right types who drive cars through people.

What I think should not be ignored is the asks for civility are kind of going to be ignored when this admin says the things they say and does the things they do.

The tension and divide on both sides of the political spectrum (and this isn’t just in America, all over the western world) is huge right now. And the ones in charge aren’t doing anything to help it.

On the flip side all the institutions of US government and due process are still there. His travel ban only just got approved recently, and as much as I do think it’s a policy with xenophobic roots, it was not railroaded through and went through proper scrutiny in the courts.

And I think you guys have got to see things from Mitch’s point of view a bit here. I don’t know their background or what demographic they fall in to. But when the president uses dehumanising language like “animals”, “flooding in” etc to describe immigrants and those of Hispanic origin, it doesn’t help. And can fuel some of these reactions from both sides.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Trump isn't preventing anyone from speaking out against him or expressing a different viewpoint by physically assaulting them or sending death threats.  That doesn't mean I think his behavior, his attacks on the media, or the chants of "lock her up" are in any way acceptable or becoming of the President.  But he's the rightfully elected leader and was done so in part, because of his behavior.  He's not in violation of the law.  Antifa is.

Trump does attempt to prevent people from speaking out against him.

I’m thoroughly convinced that if given the power to do so...he would.

So is he or isn’t he?  You say you’re convinced if he could, he would. So do you agree he’s not preventing people? That the network media can’t be perceived as openly hostile to him?  I’m not even addressing if the hostility is deserved. Just that Maxine Waters can call for his impeachment, and call for he and his staff to be harassed, and Trump is either powerless to stop her, or chooses not to. Either way, he’s not dispatching Soldiers to silence, through threat of force, his political opponents. Kathy Griffin posed with his severed head and outside of a meeting with the Secret Service, was no harmed or impacted by the government in any way.

That’s not true with antifa. They are dispatching soldiers to use violence to silence their political opponents. If they were standing up to Stormtroopers or real, lynching members of the KKK, I might turn a blind eye to the illegality of it. Because those groups are dangerous and do harm people. But not only are they not facing off against real Nazis, the kind that hurt people, but rather doughie bigots who couldn’t hold a job at McDonald’s and haven’t assaulted anyone, they’re labeling conservative protests as part of that false Nazi label. And as shown in Portland, instigating violence in an attempt to silence them. They’re angry and they’re looking for a fight. So they label anyone they disagree with as a fascist, and show up to crack skulls.

That kind of behavior isn’t acceptable nor can it be condoned. Comparing this behavior to Trump’s offensive rhetoric is disingenuous.

Addressing your first question...

To me it’s awfully hard to see the difference between a president who wants to silence his opposition and actually has the authority to do so...

I won’t sit here and be lectured about the constitution by the same people who turn a blind eye to our president and his antics.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I took a 4 hour tour of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on Sunday. It was fantastic and I learned a lot. When you came to the US you went through a 6 to 8 hour process in this big open hall. If you were an adult that was sick, they either sent you back or quarantined you for a while in what many considered the best hospital of its day (also on the island). Children were separated from their parents and placed in the nursery on the second floor. If the were sick they too went to the hospital. After all the questions on the paper work and after their 30 second health exam (part of exam was then watching you walk up the he steps, they asked questions.

#1 what is your name
And then question like where are you going (making sure they had someone to vouch for them. Somewhere to go)
Do you have a job
Etc

We were very organized then. Not like today.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

To me it’s awfully hard to see the difference between a president who wants to silence his opposition and actually has the authority to do so...

I won’t sit here and be lectured about the constitution by the same people who turn a blind eye to our president and his antics.

So just to be clear you had no issue with Obama thumbing his nose at the Constitution, but because the clown show follows this President, his antics are more important than him enforcing the Constitution?  Is that really your position on this?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I took a 4 hour tour of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on Sunday. It was fantastic and I learned a lot. When you came to the US you went through a 6 to 8 hour process in this big open hall. If you were an adult that was sick, they either sent you back or quarantined you for a while in what many considered the best hospital of its day (also on the island). Children were separated from their parents and placed in the nursery on the second floor. If the were sick they too went to the hospital. After all the questions on the paper work and after their 30 second health exam (part of exam was then watching you walk up the he steps, they asked questions.

#1 what is your name
And then question like where are you going (making sure they had someone to vouch for them. Somewhere to go)
Do you have a job
Etc

My wife and I did that same tour last year.  Same observations for us.  I imagine the volume then was nothing like the volume today, but who knows.  Also it was a different era and we were a nation of following laws much more than we are now.  It was just accepted that this is the process and the process should be followed.  Now if you don't like something, you just ignore it and do whatever you want.  Never mind following the legal process for changing things...we no longer respect our country.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

So just to be clear you had no issue with Obama thumbing his nose at the Constitution, but because the clown show follows this President, his antics are more important than him enforcing the Constitution?  Is that really your position on this?

I have not once....not even once....heard you criticize the obstructionist congress he had to deal with...

but I always hear you bring this point up...

it usually leads to an abrupt end to the original topic...

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

[youtube][embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhWR4d3FJQ[/youtube][/embed]

Happy 4th of July mutherfuckers!!!

Despite my contrarian ways...I have a beautiful wife, a goof ball of an 8 year old daughter and I own a sweet ass house...

I have my country to partially thank for that...I grew up in a single parent household on food stamps and welfare....there's only one place in the world that I would grow up and get to EARN this for myself...

So here's my solute to all of you and this country! Don't get used to it!!!!!!!

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I have not once....not even once....heard you criticize the obstructionist congress he had to deal with...

but I always hear you bring this point up...

it usually leads to an abrupt end to the original topic...

Yeah, when you try to stuff an awful healthcare plan down our throats all obstruction is more than welcome.  Why would I criticize that?  As soon as you can tell me something that was actually good for the country that was obstructed, I'll concede you might have a point.  The ONLY thing I recall was the vote that should have happened on the supreme court nominee.  The supreme court has turned into a joke anyway...that's the one thing that shouldn't be political, but it might be the most political and most important part of the gov't.  So if that's what they have to do to prevent more BS like healthcare being labeled a tax when it wasn't just so it can pass, I'm okay with that too.

Here's a fact people like you that don't care about the Constitution don't understand: nothing the Republicans did was illegal.  Nothing.  The ability to "obstruct" as you call it is there for a reason...to protect either party from doing things that aren't in the country's best interests.  You haven't heard me complaining about the Democrats doing it either, have you?  Nope. 

So instead of deflecting, address what I said.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

#1 what is your name
Do you have a job
Etc

My wife and I did that same tour last year.  Same observations for us.  I imagine the volume then was nothing like the volume today, but who knows.  Also it was a different era and we were a nation of following laws much more than we are now.  It was just accepted that this is the process and the process should be followed.  Now if you don't like something, you just ignore it and do whatever you want.  Never mind following the legal process for changing things...we no longer respect our country.

17,000,000 came through Ellis Island.

40% of them went to NYC, the rear scattered around the US.

The biggest processing day ever at Ellis Island I think was in 1913 and they did 11,000 people.

Board footer