You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: What GNR songs are still in your rotation?

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It really is odd how music has evolved in our society. Music has morphed into basically background noise....elevator music. Nobody sits around listening to actual albums anymore...not even in their car. A lot of people listen to podcasts and shit like that. If they stream any music, its some Sirius channel playing random songs.

Are there even full albums anymore? It takes a lot of talent to make a full album.

Someone with roots in the music industry once told me that there is no where near the money in the music industry that there used to be. Maybe that has something to do with it.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The thing about UYI is it feels very chaotic and never cohesive, for better and worse. That's why I like Double Talkin' Jive. It feels like a band jam.

Ironically enough they're incredibly sharp on The Spaghetti Incident but the material itself is pretty underwhelming.

The current music industry like most other entertainment industries is an embarrassing race to the bottom. The fact is most people liked GNR back in the day because Axl and Slash were fuckable, it's never about the music for most people, especially women.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The thing about UYI is it feels very chaotic and never cohesive, for better and worse. That's why I like Double Talkin' Jive. It feels like a band jam.

Ironically enough they're incredibly sharp on The Spaghetti Incident but the material itself is pretty underwhelming.

The current music industry like most other entertainment industries is an embarrassing race to the bottom. The fact is most people liked GNR back in the day because Axl and Slash were fuckable, it's never about the music for most people, especially women.

I've honestly grown to love UYI because of that chaotic feel.

Don't damn me is awesome. Pretty Tied Up....awesome.

I even grew to like breakdown.

Maybe I just needed to get older to appreciate it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

It really is odd how music has evolved in our society. Music has morphed into basically background noise....elevator music. Nobody sits around listening to actual albums anymore...not even in their car. A lot of people listen to podcasts and shit like that. If they stream any music, its some Sirius channel playing random songs.

I listen to music heaps, but I must admit it tends to be playlists I've made rather than complete albums. I have a kind of personal 'best of' for all the bands / genres I like.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I use Spotify mainly, but I do still listen to albums in full, especially new releases. I think it's the younger generation that doesn't. Old people like me (and the majority of us here on this forum) I think still value the full album experience.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

That said, I used to listen to the UYI albums cover to cover and love every moment, now, it's a select few that still amaze me (moments in Estranged especially) while a few others and I'm like.... eh... skip!

Only Guns albums I can listen to in full are AFD, Lies and TSI surprisingly. I haven't listened to CD in ages...

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

That said, I used to listen to the UYI albums cover to cover and love every moment, now, it's a select few that still amaze me (moments in Estranged especially) while a few others and I'm like.... eh... skip!

Only Guns albums I can listen to in full are AFD, Lies and TSI surprisingly. I haven't listened to CD in ages...

I never once cared for Shotgun Blues...and Get in the Ring I've never felt much higher about. Sadly, they sit next to each other on the UYI2 track listing. Sometimes that's enough to take me out of the mood to listen to the entire thing.

You couldn't be more correct about Estranged. If the music video wasn't so bizarre, I think it could have been almost as popular as NR.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I even grew to like breakdown.

Maybe I just needed to get older to appreciate it.

breakdown is one of their most timeless songs.

it won't ever be remembered outside of the hardcore fanbase, but that shit will still sound amazing in 30 years.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Illusions have good stuff scattered amongst those two discs but as cohesive albums, they`re inconsistent.

Axl should have removed all Izzy`s songs while he was at it. They just suck and bog down quality.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Illusions have good stuff scattered amongst those two discs but as cohesive albums, they`re inconsistent.

Axl should have removed all Izzy`s songs while he was at it. They just suck and bog down quality.

It depends what you call an Izzy song I guess.

I'm not a fan of You Aint the First....but I wouldn't be messing with YCBM etc

Board footer