You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Oh My God and the Thesis of Chinese Democracy

esoterica wrote:

-

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great post.

I think this song is criminally under-rated. It's really classic Axl lyrics - the mixing of metaphors and the way his mind moves around - it's like being in a dream state sometimes - connected thoughts that all make sense but are very unusually linked in places.

I'd love to hear the version with new guitars Axl spoke about.

Also, think i've mentioned this before but I think the transcript of the second verse on this site is wrong...but maybe it's my ears.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

this was definitely a shock. I remember this was not the first "newGNR" song I've ever heard, it was probably The Blues from RIR3, but this one was definitely a huge shock, maybe only comparable to Shackler's Revenge many years later.
and I must also appreciate the instrumental side of this song. altough very raw (and in fact considered a work-in-progress demo, not really meant to be released in this state), it already contains many "layers". both Finck and Navarro contributed a very wicked and twisted thing.
to be honest, I've never discovered who plays what guitar part in this song (4 guitarists played there already. FOUR!), but it's so damn cool.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

I really enjoyed the RIR3 OMG. Shame there's no studio version of that track!

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

I really enjoyed the RIR3 OMG. Shame there's no studio version of that track!

Bucket fucking with Axl by doing his robot dance and Axl coming in late on the first verse as a result because he's laughing makes me happy whenever I think about it.

But also very sad when I think about what could've been.

Yes, I would love as much Buckethead on Chinese Democracy as possible. It'd be nice to have such a track.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

well, the song was only played 3 times in the history, we all know the first performance at RIR3, the other 2 performances were at The Joint 2001. reportedly it was a huge mess at the first show, and it was flawless at the second one. hard to say, no bootleg probably exists.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

i never really get the urge to listen to oh my god, but when i do, it reminds me of how good things could have been. after all these years, i still think this was as close as axl got to the sound he was looking for.

the whole song had a scary intensity to it -- the vocals, lyrics, music, guitars, etc. you could tell axl was in his head all those years and wanted to unleash everything all at once. not sure about this being released the first taste of gnr in 5 tears though... axl should have saved it as an album cut; that, or he should have doubled down on this sound and released the beaven album we all dream about with a bunch of stuff in the same vein.

i'd kill for a recording of the 12/31/01 show, btw. supposedly, they also did an amazing version of madagascar.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I love OMG so much as a song. I even tried to get a live performance going on with some friends awhile back. Still want to make that happen and I hope Guns themselves revisits the song one of these days.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Oh My God is brilliant. Better than half of UYI filler shit.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

OMG had a lot of potential but I HATED the lead guitar work.  Like, it was fucking terrible  but Axl sounds so fucking pissed off... I love it.  So Axl sounds great on it, but the guitars and band are blah, so what could have been killer is just meh.

Board footer