You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Your Choice of Producer (And Why) For Guns Next Album...

misterID wrote:

Youth.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

George Drakoulias

Producer of the classic 1990 Shake Your Money Maker album by the Black Crowes. The sounds and mix on that album is outstanding. So organic.

That whole album has flawless production. I feel he could capture a raw organic sound of GNR.  Cut all the bullshit. Just get the five guys and Dizzy and make an album.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Clink IS the answer. Get that magic back!

what's clink's story, anyway? he seems to have just popped out of the woodwork the moment guns needed a producer. according to wikipedia, he had only just begun producing in '86. crazy shit.

without question, his efforts were quintessential to the band's sound. the absence of slash isn't the only reason chinese democracy sounds so jarringly different than the rest of gnr's catalog.

you could almost consider clink gnr's own george martin. any attempt to re-capture the magic of guns needs him at the helm; without him, it's a game of pin the tail on the donkey.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

the absence of slash isn't the only reason chinese democracy sounds so jarringly different than the rest of gnr's catalog.

I think that's about the introduction of protools though.

Axl had always liked adding layers of vocals on tape, and even a bit of synth in PC and stuff....but protools let him go off the deep end layering stuff and keeping tons of takes.

If you listen to the isolated rhythm parts from rock band they are digitally edited like crazy.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Clink was taking instructions from Axl though. Remember the story of the hundred cassettes he made him listen to? Axl basically dictated the production of each song down to to the finest detail, especially SCOM, which was a combo of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Wham!. UYI was different as the Axl/Slash struggle for control was starting to take hold and they were fighting over the mixing.

Clink never got another big time gig again, shocking seeing how many bands back then would have wanted that AFD sound. Metallica did and hired Clink... then fired him. Axl was vital to that production. Clink's work has never been that great outside GNR, IMO. Basically, Axl would be the producer no matter what.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I've always found the Clink deification pretty strange.

It's like when people give directors credit but don't know what a director actually does.

He helped capture the live feel on Appetite in thanks to a good mix from Thompson and Barbiero but it's not like he pushed the songs or the band. Lies has a good sound because it's an open room, magnetic tape, and a bunch of guys playing competently. Nothing otherworldly here.

Axl needs a producer that can duel wits, speak the same language. He needs a mixer to keep him far, far away from the mixer board.

We might as well be talking about ancient mythology. Never gonna happen.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I don't see them ever getting into a room and writing out an album. I just don't see it. It'll probably be the same - passing around dats and demos and Axl picks what he likes. More than likely it will be Axl and Caram producing. The good thing is that perhaps they'll lose the density and layers of guitar and effects and stick with the current group. Pretty telling even Axl talks about it now.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah...realistically the producer is Axl and whoever his current pet computer nerd is....out with pitman in with melissa at the moment...but then in 2021 when this actually happens who knows?

misterID

misterID wrote:

I would have loved for him to have stuck with Youth, who can talk his synth language like with Madagascar, but also cut a mean rock n roll album like The Cult's Born Into This.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think TSI is the best sounding GNR album of the lot and again Clink was at the helm.

In a perfect world a new GNR album with Slash/Duff would have that kind of crisp sound. I've no idea if Clink is even in the picture anymore he may not even be in Axls good books.

Board footer