You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

ClaudeF wrote:

Bucket had fans in the audience when I saw them in 2002. One of them threw a tiny KFC bucket onto the stage, which Axl put on his head and laughed about. His "Star Wars" solo/nunchuck demonstration/robot dance got the biggest response of anything anyone on stage contributed, aside from Axl. He was weird and fascinating at the same time.

Everyone else came across as anonymous. Competent, but anonymous, and as dalethirsty said, way too numerous. They could have done much better with one less guitarist. Bucket, however, should have been one to stay.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

dalethirsty wrote:

i don't think gnr's presentation of buckethead did him any favors.

he spent the majority of time just standing motionless on stage, sometimes not even playing a note or chord for extended periods of time.

what was he supposed to do? be the third guy on stage playing the welcome to the jungle riff? gn'r songs aren't that complex; there really wasn't much for bucket to do on must of the tunes. and for some reason, they gave robin got a bunch of solos on that tour. i could only imagine what was going through bucket's head at the time watching robin struggle through patience, sweet child and the november rain. good thing he was wearing a mask. bucket

if they let really let buckethead unleash as the star of the band in '01-'02, i think he could have gotten incredibly over with the fans.

Perhaps but then again Ron, who was his direct replacement, was never accused of standing around doing nothing. I'm sure half the time he was just playing some simple power chords on the old GNR material but at least he looked involved.

I'm not doubting BH's talents in any way I just disagree with the general mantra from BH fans that with the collapse of the 02 tour/album somehow he was robbed of the chance of becoming some sort of mainstream guitar icon. To the vast majority GNR was a joke bordering on tragic in 02, part of that was because of BH not in spite of him.

The notion that if only things had been handled differently there would have been stadiums full of people dancing along to his nunchuck demo and robot dance is just fantasy.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

BBF was probably the only newgnr member that was genuinely interested in releasing something and very frustrated of being forced to just play shows while moving nowhere.

johndivney wrote:

Bucket was the only Guns guitarist who made Slash seem replacable.

I loved what Bumble brought, but Bucket was the only guy who made Slash look ordinary & his Nightrain was up there with the original.

Finck was a major mistake.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Bucket was the only Guns guitarist who made Slash seem replacable.

I loved what Bumble brought, but Bucket was the only guy who made Slash look ordinary & his Nightrain was up there with the original.

Finck was a major mistake.

Finck was fine, I love the guy but he should have been rhyhmn and BH should have been lead

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I think in retrospect Finck should've been the West Arkeen of the new Guns operation.

The studio guy who is influential behind the scenes but doesn't tour with the band or anything like that.

You could just say, yeah, just go with Bucket, and that wouldn't be wrong but then you have to consider songs like TWAT, IRS, Better, and Catcher wouldn't have ever materialized without Finck.

The big mistake was taking him back after 1999/2000. His strength was crafting a raw, dissonant sound. If Axl released a quick and dirty album and then moved on, it would've given him a shot in the arm and a Slash-less GNR some legitimacy. Instead, he used re-recording as a constant filibuster and way of avoiding the potential for rejection.

But if you're Axl, Finck represents some history, loyalty, and a fresh start. It's easy to understand why he didn't want to just cut him loose.

That said, I don't think Finck is a good rhythm player or complement to Bucket at all.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Did Finck even want to be rhythm though? I think he’s probably a decent writer and saw himself as lead guitarist but in my opnion lacked the chops for a band the size of GNR, especially given who he was being measured against.

Seems to me the only guy who’s genuinely wanted the rhythm gig in the last 20 years is Fortus.

AndreCC
 Rep: 0 

AndreCC wrote:

Finck was not a Classic Rock player. He would have been good for the industrial sounding songs.

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:

Has anyone ever checked NIN forums to see if Finck's demos with GNR is circulating among fans of that band?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Did Finck even want to be rhythm though? I think he’s probably a decent writer and saw himself as lead guitarist but in my opnion lacked the chops for a band the size of GNR, especially given who he was being measured against.

Seems to me the only guy who’s genuinely wanted the rhythm gig in the last 20 years is Fortus.

And Fortus is more Slash/Bucket level lead guitar than rhythm player.

If anything, they should’ve ditched Bucket, and kept Finck on rhythm and put Fortus forward to handle the lead parts.

Board footer