You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Bumble played the CD solos like Robin played the AFD solos in 2002

Shrill and off key, killing the melody

That's objectively false.

He played them a little different in 2006 because he wasn't able to learn the songs note perfect prior to the tour starting (apparently was given a laptop and 2 hours to listen and that's it).

However on later tours once he had proper access to the album he played them pretty much note perfect.

Check out TWAT from the 2012-2014 shows.

Axl messes up the vocals a bit in that era, but bumble is playing those bucket solos note perfect or damn close to it.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I'm with monkey here again. what BBF did maybe didn't quite fit into that original Finck/BH concept, but it DID massively anchor all the songs. and actually, my most favourite parts of ChiDem ARE the places where BBF is shining. title track fretless fills, Shackler solo (maybe THE most memorable part of the album), Catcher solo, Riad solo... yeah, it seems a bit forced somewhere, but I guess that's because they already had the album done for a couple of years and then they just glued BBF onto it.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I was talking about CD the album but yes he understandably improved on tour after the 2006 fuckery. I am a fan of his touring performances.

Bucket blends the notes on his solos for a purer melody. It's why I don't care for Bumble's replacements.

It's the musical equivalent of overacting.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Bumblefoot sucks. He`s a mindless shredder nothing more.

I don`t give a fuck if he can play 10 000 notes per minute.

He does n`t have a sense of melody. He can`t compose a memorable riff or solo if his life depended on it.

He sure as hell did n`t improve anything. On the contrary, ruined whatever he played on.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

as stupid and simplified, as if I said that Buckethead is a mindless shredder nothing more (which is obviously at the same ignorance level).
learn the solo discography and get back then.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
zombux wrote:

as stupid and simplified, as if I said that Buckethead is a mindless shredder nothing more (which is obviously at the same ignorance level).
learn the solo discography and get back then.

I`ve heard enough from him to say he`s a mindless shredder nothing more.

Everything he has done is either tacky shit or mediocre angsty teenage Rock like Creed.

Buckethead`s shredding is ten times better than Bumblefoot`s. Heck, even Slash shreds much better. I`m deliberately not saying anything about Bucket`s melodic work.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I like all 3 of them really.

Slash is a genius imo, it's not so much the technical skill (although obviously he's got some chops!) as it is his ability to elevate a song emotionally through a solo. There's very little like it amongst guitarists. Truely the rock player of a generation or more.

Bucket is a phenomenal guitarist no doubt. Some of his work is a bit avant-garde for me but when he plays in the style I like he's right up there with the best.

Ron I think is underrated as a musician. I've been lucky in that I got to experience this a bit closer than my love of Slash and Bucket which is limited to shows. With Ron I did some music lessons with him, and he kindly played on a recording of mine, and i've been to a few of his workshop clinic type things. I can honestly say as a guitarist myself that he has serious musical skills. That's putting it mildly. He is absurdly good at guitar. I doubt there's anything he couldn't do if he wanted to. I don't want to discredit how hard he must have trained to do that - but it's almost unnatural what he can do. It was one of those times you meet someone and you realise the true meaning of the word "talented" - people throw it about but sometimes you meet someone who is really exceptional. I get his music isn't for everyone - as with any style - but there's a reason Joe Satriani recommended him to Axl.

For myself I'd hate to see his parts stripped from the album, I really enjoy the interplay of all the guitarists on the record - bumble, bucket, and even Robin heheh.

I would love another mix of the record though. As I do feel at times some parts are hidden and others are too loud in the mix for my tastes.

But I guess each to their own. I like them all.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I will always believe adding Ron was a mixture of obligation to give him a role on the album and an FU to Bucket.

I kinda disagree only cos the way Axl seems to be if it was an FU it would be a total FU even at the expense of his own record.

As it stands there's heaps of Bucket parts remaining on the record. You'd think if it was like "suck this bucket" he'd have deleted ALL of the bucket solos - for example the second solo in the title track is really cool but could have easily been swapped out if you had an agenda...

But I do think he added people to give them a roll - obvious example was Frank's addition to 2.5 songs or whatever. Didn't really seem necessary but then at that stage what was I guess hahahah.

I don't know if it was an Axl's quote or someone else, but he was keeping the amount of guitars, like Paul, on the album because he felt their work deserved to be on there. There was zero reason to replace Bucket on his own song like Shackler's.

johndivney wrote:

Yea I’m not buying Axl maliciously replaced BH’s parts, as a FU. You don’t see evidence of that elsewhere in the output so it seems a little baseless to accuse him of having such a streak. I tend to think & agree that it was just more poor judgement, decision making & wanting BBF on the album in some shape.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The 2006-2008 era is a lot of smoke and mirrors.

The 2006 Tour was sold under the auspices of a relatively immediate release of the album which seemed to be a last ditch effort by Axl and Merck to get money to keep the band and the project alive. Merck falling on his sword was an obviously calculated move to push the release back and integrating Frank and Bumblefoot is just another filibuster by Axl. Every press release of that era reads like a cover-our-asses style confessional.

The album was done October 2006 at the latest and Andy Wallace was owed backpay for his mixes. The final recordings I'm aware of were in Vegas over the holiday. Ok, I guess it was officially done now. Then Axl peeps up in February announcing the tentative release date of March 2007 we knew wasn't happening and don't really hear much until March 2008 when Andy Gould and Irving Azoff are now managing Guns.

The record company didn't want anything to do with CD until Azoff made that incredible deal and even then it the was bare minimum. I'm betting said endeavor was partially enabled by the 2007 tour which has no other worldly reason for existing.

The long story distilled to a short point: all the bloat likely came within the last 6 months of the project. Frank and Bumblefoot, Axl's excessive overdubs, and Caram getting promoted to bargain-bin mixer.

That's my overlong way of saying Frank and Bumblefoot had no reason to have been let anywhere near the album. Especially on the title track written by Josh Freese and a song written by Buckethead of all things.

Board footer